The Falkirk FC Thread

Interestingly also mentions that he has approached the person he wants in as a development coach. Wonder who that may be. 

What was the name of his assistant before? I couldn’t remember it. Dale something

1 hour ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

What's Eddie May doing these days ?

Academy manager at Hibs last I knew so that's not viable. George Craig would have gave him that role. What about that Michael Mcardle was he not the development team manager the last time we had one?

Academy manager at Hibs last I knew so that's not viable. George Craig would have gave him that role. What about that Michael Mcardle was he not the development team manager the last time we had one?

Mick is assistant manager at Ayr now he won’t take a job running an under 21 team surely

49 minutes ago, Bantabairn said:

Without doubt the club have learned from past mistakes and have identified a role crucial for getting us back up the leagues. 
What I liked was his honesty about the directors, managers, staff and players. 
Unless I have misinterpreted the interview, it looks like the results of the team will be under his direct responsibility & therefore a clear structure in reporting, and he’s made very clear what his expectations are. 
For me this has been crucially missing in the past few years, and decisions like the brutal shutting of the academy, the Brentford model with players will never be allowed to happen. 
Hearing that there’s another appointment to follow, for once gives me security that we are getting ourselves on the right course, and although it’s still in its infancy, there’s no doubt the club is re-modelling in a very positive way. 

The most crucial role at any football club (in my opinion) is the manager. Until that issue is addressed, we won’t be heading up the leagues anytime soon. Unfortunately though, the Board have given The Backstreet Boys in the dugout their full backing.

Hopefully Holt turns out to be a very good appointment as Sporting Director, he certainly talks a good game and I definitely like his no-nonsense attitude, but it sounds to me like he’ll be juggling this new job with trying to bail out M&M; both of whom are already being well paid to manage our football club. Replace those two with someone competent who doesn’t need to be taught tactics or how to change a game and I’ll start to get a bit more excited about how we are re-modelling ourselves.

Fully understand and appreciate your opinion, like the majority of the supporters we want this league won and up this year. Said a few posts ago there’s not a BOD or now a DOF that will get rid of a manager(s) who’s team  sits top of the league. Yes it’s been horse shit and yes the last three games we’ve shat our pants. But we are still are clear at top. I’ve watched a few championship games and tbh the football has also been shite. Who would you think would come to a club with eleven games played and top but just fired their managers? I still think we’ve got enough to get over the line, but I’m sure the reported nicey mumsy relationship that M&M have with the players will be no more after Holts interview. I’m guessing Holt will not be stupid enough to know that things are not all rosy and will have been briefed of our performances so far, part of his interview suggested that.

If Falkirk fired M&M tomorrow they would get 50+ applicants and plenty of good ones at that.

Utter naivety to think otherwise.

16 minutes ago, Bantabairn said:

Fully understand and appreciate your opinion, like the majority of the supporters we want this league won and up this year. Said a few posts ago there’s not a BOD or now a DOF that will get rid of a manager(s) who’s team  sits top of the league. Yes it’s been horse shit and yes the last three games we’ve shat our pants. But we are still are clear at top. I’ve watched a few championship games and tbh the football has also been shite. Who would you think would come to a club with eleven games played and top but just fired their managers? I still think we’ve got enough to get over the line, but I’m sure the reported nicey mumsy relationship that M&M have with the players will be no more after Holts interview. I’m guessing Holt will not be stupid enough to know that things are not all rosy and will have been briefed of our performances so far, part of his interview suggested that.

Agree that being top right now doesn’t go in our favour (in terms of replacing M&M), but it could also be seen as showing ambition and our intent. Sends a message that we mean business and we are planning to deliver Premier League football. Anyone who believes M&M are the men to carry that out is doolally, so why delay? Like you though I think we’ll have just about enough to scrape over the line if the league resumes, but we need better.

1 minute ago, MSG GTF! said:

Agree that being top right now doesn’t go in our favour (in terms of replacing M&M), but it could also be seen as showing ambition and our intent. Sends a message that we mean business and we are planning to deliver Premier League football. Anyone who believes M&M are the men to carry that out is doolally, so why delay? Like you though I think we’ll have just about enough to scrape over the line if the league resumes, but we need better.

If things stay the same on the park then they will change i.e. the last 3 performances as an example we need to go up this season no ifs or buts about that but if we do go up then i would reckon the first few games in the championship or if its a rolling contract end of season and a thanks for the promotion and your service however we dont see you as the guys to take us forward give someone else a chance to bring their own team in.

6 hours ago, wee_bairn said:

Interestingly also mentions that he has approached the person he wants in as a development coach. Wonder who that may be. 

Would love it to be Hagi but can’t see it 

"First and foremost" I thought that was a really good interview both in terms of what Holt said and the questions asked by Lewis.  I think Holt is capable of doing a lot here and his position while we have rookie managers makes a lot of sense, particularly at this level.  He's at an age where he still wants to prove himself and still wants to achieve in the game so let's see. 

12 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Around the same time people started saying "going forward" instead of "in future" and the ultimate hellish trio; starting sentences with "So...", missing out the s at the end of maths, and using the nonsense word "anyways".

I was listening to that Darryl Broadfoot on Sportsound who is full of all this type of new pretentious phrasing & he was talking about Celtic in Dubai saying 'the optics are wrong , the optics are all wrong". Now I know Celtic went there for a piss up so I'm thinking have they got fruit flies in the vodka or are players getting gin instead of whiskey?

optics.jpg

I was listening to that Darryl Broadfoot on Sportsound who is full of all this type of new pretentious phrasing & he was talking about Celtic in Dubai saying 'the optics are wrong , the optics are all wrong". Now I know Celtic went there for a piss up so I'm thinking have they got fruit flies in the vodka or are players getting gin instead of whiskey?

optics.jpg.cd4d5984f16f17b121836da4f73107d6.jpg

You weren’t the only one who was irked by him.
Thought he spent most of the time talking drivel and trying to defend Lennon. He was actually suggesting that the Lennon shitspiel was an attempt to get the best out of his players by defending them.
Ex SFA communications man who wasn’t convincing me tbh.....

I’ve no doubt we’d get the number suggested, but after the horrendous few seasons who would be a good one ? For me we’ve had Jeffries MCall Yogi Ginger who I would say were good, them apart can’t remember too many good ones 

Thing is, would our selection committee dig deep enough to understand good and bad? Maybe my memory is failing me, but post Brockville, I don’t have a sense that FFC consistently welcomed applications for the managers role.
I don’t think the past 15 years or so dictates that not too many decent managers would be interested in the job. For me, it’s a case of the selection process being badly defined and therefore very hit and miss.

9 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Thing is, would our selection committee dig deep enough to understand good and bad? Maybe my memory is failing me, but post Brockville, I don’t have a sense that FFC consistently welcomed applications for the managers role.
I don’t think the past 15 years or so dictates that not too many decent managers would be interested in the job. For me, it’s a case of the selection process being badly defined and therefore very hit and miss.

I know I bang on about this a lot, but ten years ago was the start of an unbelievable amount of rot.

Established SPL club, recent European football, recent cup final, first-class training facilities (I was at Stirling Uni at the time), youth academy, no debt, decent stadium. Had we advertised the job when Yogi went we'd have had some absolutely fantastic applicants.

But no, we appointed the youth coach as the cheap option who didn't want the job and didn't have the balls to admit that he wasn't cut out for it until we were all but relegated.

f**k's sake. Depresses me even when I think about it.

10 minutes ago, Gaz said:

I know I bang on about this a lot, but ten years ago was the start of an unbelievable amount of rot.

Established SPL club, recent European football, recent cup final, first-class training facilities (I was at Stirling Uni at the time), youth academy, no debt, decent stadium. Had we advertised the job when Yogi went we'd have had some absolutely fantastic applicants.

But no, we appointed the youth coach as the cheap option who didn't want the job and didn't have the balls to admit that he wasn't cut out for it until we were all but relegated.

f**k's sake. Depresses me even when I think about it.

We also cut the budget on players wages so attracted the cheaper players to go with our cheaper manager.