The Falkirk FC Thread

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

See if we have to wait until August to start a third season in League 1, having not had a proper crack at getting out of it, and still have to jump through hoops to attend a match, if we can even attend at all, I think I will be done with it.

Beyond pissed off and realising that being at the games is pretty much the be all and end all of being a fan. Anyone else think similar?

I personally think the game has suffered in quality without the fans, there isn't the pressure on the players and at times is very much like a bounce game.

It's perhaps helped some smaller sides against the big boys but the quality has been poor.

37 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I mean, I go to games on my own now probably more often than I am with anyone. Last season I was at more away games than I was home ones I think, certainly think I had figured out the season before was more away than home and primarily on my jack. 

You get speaking to folk around you but it's never been the social aspect for me of late. It's all about being there, shouting the odds, being part of it. Falkirk FC dont feel like a part of my life in this setup. Being a Falkirk fan, that disconnect is maybe even more understandable for us given the sheer volume and turnover of the last 2 years, but in general, I am becoming less interested with every week that I cant actually be there. 

That’s what I was getting at when I said for some it’s purely about being at the match in-situ; seeing and hearing everything that’s going on on the park and in the ground, getting behind your team and/or voicing your opinion.

2 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

No. He was an atrocious manager for us and every other club he has been involved with.

On an unrelated note - horrific to think that Yogi was basically begging to be our manager right before we appointed McCracken and Miller. If we had given it to him there's a very decent chance we'd not have this navel gazing about that failure Pressley and would instead be talking about our chances of making the playoffs in the Championship. 

Have to agree with that.

Watched the video of the road to the final yesterday and he came over as a very accomplished manager. Indeed, I had forgotten that Pressley had actually played for us!

2 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

On an unrelated note - horrific to think that Yogi was basically begging to be our manager right before we appointed McCracken and Miller. If we had given it to him there's a very decent chance we'd not have this navel gazing about that failure Pressley and would instead be talking about our chances of making the playoffs in the Championship. 

He had no chance of getting appointed by the existing Board at that time......nor would he have taken it while they were still in place.

4 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

See if we have to wait until August to start a third season in League 1, having not had a proper crack at getting out of it, and still have to jump through hoops to attend a match, if we can even attend at all, I think I will be done with it.

Beyond pissed off and realising that being at the games is pretty much the be all and end all of being a fan. Anyone else think similar?

Feeling exactly the same, the the inequality and borderline corruption shown by our footballing authorities combined with the attitude shown by some of our member clubs really tests your faith in the game. If it happens I think I’m done with Scottish football, I’m out. 

45 minutes ago, 60`s bairn said:

He had no chance of getting appointed by the existing Board at that time......nor would he have taken it while they were still in place.

He burnt his bridges with his greeting about the club quite rightly wanting compensation from Hibs for taking him as manager. Why he expected us to let him go for nothing is beyond me.  He couldn't even just move on quietly but nearly had a punch up with Pressley when he returned.  Yogi believed too much of his own hype which is a shame after so many decent years.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

42 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

Always thought Rhys Bennett was worth more of a run in the team. He had at least 2 or 3 mazy runs through the midfield that watered the mouth.

I seem to remember him in a game against either hearts or rangers in the cup can't quite remember hitting his own post with a clearance late in the game. 

To be fair @Marshmallo I did advocate for Yogi to come back before M & M were appointed. He done wonders for us IMO and would have been a solid appointment. You watch his interviews and he’s infectious. I watched an interview with Neil McCann recently after Yogi got the gig at County and he said he made all the players try so hard for him because he was that type of guy you just wanted to do well. 

On 15/01/2021 at 09:07, Back Post Misses said:

I am almost sure this is gong to lead to SPL 2, B teams and criteria driven entry to the “professional” top leagues (my guess 20-24 clubs). It may not be this year but it is coming. Finance and pragmatism is driving it

To be honest it’s long overdue. Unfortunately the game has been fucvked for some time. When you can throw in a few bob and take teams like Gretna and Ross county into the premier league it’s a bit of an embarrassment to the game overall.  Alloa and arbroath being in the league above us highlights just how far we’ve fallen. 
 It would certainly be a better spectacle to have the better supported teams doing well and maybe the premier B professional league is the answer and possibly the only way we can get back into the “elite” as the succession of well minded incompetents who have tried to do so by footballing means is never ending . 
im not taking any thing away from the Ross counties and alloa fans it must be a great when you can punch above your weight. I and 5000  others long for that day when it’s our turn

8 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Don't think this is an uncommon view at all to be honest, and will probably become more so the longer this drags on. Scottish football relies on, thrives on physical attendance at matches. Take that away and you're not left with much. Watching games being played out in training-ground atmospheres on a stream is a poor, poor substitute. I suppose you could argue that it's still better than nothing though, which is what we are back to now after last week.

It's a perfect storm at the moment. Atrocious leadership within the game. The unshakeable sense that another shafting is on the horizon. League suspended again with no pathway to any restart. Promotion and relegation extremely unlikely when clubs have not completed even half of their fixtures in an already curtailed season. Prospect of null and void, which potentially introduces a whole host of other problems. Presumably refunding season ticket money for an event deemed not to have taken place. How is any prize money distributed? Can player contracts be cancelled? You're then looking at trying to get through to perhaps August having played 11 or 12 league games in a year and a half.

Chuck in the ongoing economic havoc, fans getting out of the habit of going to games and the unappetising prospect of yet another season at this level watching the kind of football that has been on display this season and I can see a fair few fans saying F**k it, and wouldn't blame them. Next season is going to be a hard, hard sell.

8 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

No. He was an atrocious manager for us and every other club he has been involved with.

Well loads of fans were laughing at the thought of bringing Yogi back. It was so obvious he was the best choice by a country mile. 

8 minutes ago, Bantabairn said:

One thing for sure In two weeks time we will be told to either re-establish playing or another extension to not playing. With Covid stats likely to get slightly better, (sorry if there was any misuse of a word) simply can’t see the authorities giving the green light even if the stats are showing a slow down as we closed/shutdown the leagues last season when we were in a far better position. Easy one for the aresholes/jokers, but as posted what do we do with the players ? I’m sure if the leagues are cancelled the club is within its rights to cancel the players contracts. More worries ahead I’m afraid.....  

With the players currently banned from training and obviously playing,  furlough is the only option,  even if we get the go ahead in a couple of weeks,  Training protocols would have to commence and not likely to be able to start playing games till last week Feb, I would think this is best case scenario..

8 hours ago, LatapyBairn. said:

Feeling exactly the same, the the inequality and borderline corruption shown by our footballing authorities combined with the attitude shown by some of our member clubs really tests your faith in the game. If it happens I think I’m done with Scottish football, I’m out. 

Ah yes, the big bad conspiracy against falkirk, settle down.

16 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

Let’s just bring this back IMG_4967.thumb.jpg.84468a59dd2e43a54a2af3ef1985deaa.jpg

And to think they picked that over Latapy who then went to ICT and helped the to 2nd in the Premier league and a Scottish cup win

3rd in the league and as you say he helped. Seems to have done nothing of note since mind you. Managing that behemoth of the footballing world Barbados just now.

16 hours ago, MS RR said:

Well loads of fans were laughing at the thought of bringing Yogi back. It was so obvious he was the best choice by a country mile. 

He was never going to come back. The sooner people accept this and move on the better. Second times around hardly ever work out anyway. Better to look ahead and not back. He'll do ok at county as they've got piles of dough but too much went on at the end of his time here for him to come back.

One thing for sure In two weeks time we will be told to either re-establish playing or another extension to not playing. With Covid stats likely to get slightly better, (sorry if there was any misuse of a word) simply can’t see the authorities giving the green light even if the stats are showing a slow down as we closed/shutdown the leagues last season when we were in a far better position. Easy one for the aresholes/jokers, but as posted what do we do with the players ? I’m sure if the leagues are cancelled the club is within its rights to cancel the players contracts. More worries ahead I’m afraid.....  

Looking at the current situation optimistically, I think we could restart mid March once adequate vaccinations done. However that would leave about 8 weeks to complete the season if play offs are to continue so the only way to complete would be to reduce the league to 18 games this season.....

4 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Looking at the current situation optimistically, I think we could restart mid March once adequate vaccinations done. However that would leave about 8 weeks to complete the season if play offs are to continue so the only way to complete would be to reduce the league to 18 games this season.....

Let’s get it done, 7 game shootout with a couple of thousand fans back (or more). Everyone would play everyone home and away once. Fair as can be