The Falkirk FC Thread

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

Flynn was an absolute stand out player when on trial for us. Many thought he'd be the answer to our problems at the time and we apparently pushed the boat out to sign him (ahead of Rhys Weston who was the other trialist he was competing for a contract with). Ended up turning us down to sign for County and it was a bullet missed and Weston was one of our best CH's of the last decade.

Flynn had a terrific attitude, that's about it. I remember us taking centre, the ball getting knocked back to Jonny who proceeded to play it right across the park and out for a throw about 10 yards from our corner flag!

2 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

He brought in senior players and the vast majority were shit. Chris Smith, , Enoch showunmi, Colin Healy, toufik zerara, Kenny deuchar, Mehdi Khalis,  Jason Marr, Ross Perry, Rhys Bennett,  Jordan white, David weatherston, Willie Gibson, Iain Flannigan, Andy Haworth, Sean Higgins, Ryan mcgeever, Johnny Flynn, Robbie Nelson, the list goes on of complete dross signed by Pressley.  That's18 for starters. The good ones arent in double figures. With that ratio your never going to get anywhere.

Again if we're going to look back then look back at Jeffries or McCall or Hughes not that joker. Just because we're shite now let's not pretend that was some kind of halcion era.

Chris Smith held the defence together that season.

8 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Chris Smith held the defence together that season.

What a signing he was. Signed from Air united  and never won a single league game with us . Was back playing for Ayr United before the end of October. That's right up there with some of Hartley and McKinnon's signings.

37 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

What a signing he was. Signed from Air united  and never won a single league game with us . Was back playing for Ayr United before the end of October. That's right up there with some of Hartley and McKinnon's signings.

Aye, it was Smith himself that declared that he was the main man. Pressley signed him on the back of a good performance for Ayr v Farid. I think (may be wrong) that his first game playing alongside Flynn was away to Partick. Neither of them had a clue what to do.

He only started 14 games that season . Pressley was away by then anyway. A number of his better signings like leahy and vaulks only got a game once he'd fecked off. To be successful in football you need to appoint a manager who gets the odd signing wrong. We keep appointing managers that get the odd signing right. As long as it's like that we'll.go nowhere fast.

He played most games after Christmas and did pretty well

Flynn was a conundrum, as in when he really focused and had a bit confidence he had ability, but you never quite thought he believed in it himself, he was absolutely capable of looking like he'd never kicked a football in his life. He wasn't the worst though. 

29 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

He played most games after Christmas and did pretty well

Was he not another one who was predominantly shit then had a decent run and got a move elsewhere out of it but like higginbottom and to.a lesser extent Millar who at least we got one decent season out of and an even better loan spell.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

To be fair Chris Smith was one of the only players that could handle Farid in the league that season so I can see why he stuck out against us, unfortunately when he was with us  he only stuck out due to his size and his lack of mobility wasn't suited to our big pitch.

6 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

I seem to remember Celtic slaughtering him in a midweek match at Parkhead.

Was that the classic 8 1 defeat by Celtic reserves? He was that bad that night yogi brought himself on to replace him.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

As I’ve been banned from talking about the only topic in town - namely Covid , we have to suffer all this nostalgia crap, then how about an underrated manager mentioned earlier - Billy Lamont!! Can’t quite remember his teams too well apart from the magnificent Gerry McCoy. Any reminiscences gratefully received. 

5 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

As I’ve been banned from talking about the only topic in town - namely Covid , we have to suffer all this nostalgia crap, then how about an underrated manager mentioned earlier - Billy Lamont!! Can’t quite remember his teams too well apart from the magnificent Gerry McCoy. Any reminiscences gratefully received. 

My two favourites (I was in my early teens) were Alan Irvine and Jimmy Gilmour - Irvine ended up being signed by Liverpool.