The Falkirk FC Thread

There’s more chance of me growing a third leg than reconstruction. Too many people are too short sighted for the good of the game. 

Better start looking for new trousers

13 hours ago, Syd Puddefoot said:

' Should be 'committed is the hard part,he's walked from 4 clubs,us being one of them. Time will tell but maybe he sees it as a more secure position ( or is that easy money for the long term? )

Just hope he doesn't do any presentations, his feeble attempt when manager at the agm would make Chemical Ali look professional. 

On the contrary I would imagine he'd be doing a lot of presentations if it's the modern DOF role. The only other DOF i have any detailed knowledge of is the one at Leeds. He does a lot of  in-depth presentations to transfer targets to persuade them to sign and to potential loan players and their clubs.  

What excites me a bit about Holt is his experience with the Norwich academy - hopefully he can use that experience and re-establish our academy successfully assuming that's part of his remit. He's young and should bring a bit dynamism to the role. 

I wish him well and hope he stays in the role for years to come , and not become a lazy managerial appointment.

8 hours ago, Hank von Hell said:

On the contrary I would imagine he'd be doing a lot of presentations if it's the modern DOF role. The only other DOF i have any detailed knowledge of is the one at Leeds. He does a lot of  in-depth presentations to transfer targets to persuade them to sign and to potential loan players and their clubs.  

What excites me a bit about Holt is his experience with the Norwich academy - hopefully he can use that experience and re-establish our academy successfully assuming that's part of his remit. He's young and should bring a bit dynamism to the role. 

I wish him well and hope he stays in the role for years to come , and not become a lazy managerial appointment.

Talk last night was of a development side being created first with young talent and then slowly building on this with other age levels.

"I was at at the game on Monday with Brora Rangers travelling all the way to Camelon and I don't think that's a good idea for teams who are not testing," he said.

Quote from Robbie Neilson on bbc sport scotland website. 

Is this not exactly what's wrong with our game just now, giving the current covid situation. 

Surely there shouldn't be anyone outside the competing teams at matches. 🤷‍♂️

31 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Talk last night was of a development side being created first with young talent and then slowly building on this with other age levels.

I would ideally prefer us having one or two age groups and drawing the line there. 

Going all the way down to U13's/14's is throwing money away unless you are one of the top teams. Having an under 16's/17's below the development team should be enough.

Towards the end, part of academy's downfall appeared to be players there who were just squad fillers at their respective age. At U16/U17 level there would nothing wrong having a few guys a year or two younger playing above themselves as long as they show have the ability and potential. Its much better to have a great teams at one age group showing promise as opposed to 3 teams at different ages not really showing anything. Leave that to the foundation to give the rest a game. 

Edited by latapythelegend

9 hours ago, Hank von Hell said:

He'd better have alot of empty fag packets then ! Agreed, there will be alot of presentational stuff, hopefully he's progressed in that department. 

James Fowler at Kilmarnock does a similar type role, this type of job may provide safer and longer term employment for ex coaches. Just hope Holt commits as he has previous for bunking off.

It's been worse than depressing supporting Falkirk over the last 3-years and there's no hope of it getting any better when you consider the people running the club. All Gary Deans seems to do, is say things that Falkirk fans want to hear but he doesn't really have any idea how to get us back to just a decent standard. He makes rotten decisions and there's absolutely no long-term plan. It just looks like we'll continuously buy crap journey-men who we'll release after a year. I just can't see what Gary Holt will offer, I would much rather have Pressley and Jefferies in. They both have a history of bringing excellent players to the Falkirk,  we've let squander an opportunity that we desperately need. 

1 minute ago, MS RR said:

It's been worse than depressing supporting Falkirk over the last 3-years and there's no hope of it getting any better when you consider the people running the club. All Gary Deans seems to do, is say things that Falkirk fans want to hear but he doesn't really have any idea how to get us back to just a decent standard. He makes rotten decisions and there's absolutely no long-term plan. It just looks like we'll continuously buy crap journey-men who we'll release after a year. I just can't see what Gary Holt will offer, I would much rather have Pressley and Jefferies in. They both have a history of bringing excellent players to the Falkirk,  we've let squander an opportunity that we desperately need. 

Someone has started on the gin early today. 

Poor attempt at trolling, must try harder. 

8 minutes ago, MS RR said:

image.gif.69fd6812f76b5cee92b46cd55eb9dd57.gif

35 minutes ago, CC52 FFC said:

You honestly believe after the farce of last year we’ll see league reconstruction this time? 

Probably will be. They will have to change it from 4 leagues to 2 as there will be noone else left in business once Doncaster's finished.

Yeah it was his back. He picked up an injury in September (I think) of his first season with us and just couldn't shake it off. I can't remember the exact details, but I think he had some surgery and it didn't have much of an impact.
I think he now works for Sky or someone and has packed in playing totally. A real shame

He was working with Sky back in April last year. I was renewing my sky deal and he was asking about ways he could save me some money. He asked if I watched the sports, which I told him I did. He asked which sports, when I said football, he asked who I supported. When I said falkirk, he said that he used to play with them. Eventually it clicked with me and we got to chatting about his time there.
He was looking to get into coaching as his head and body just weren’t in the right place anymore to play professionally.

43 minutes ago, MS RR said:

We badly need players like medhi kallis  and Enoch showunmi to get us on the way back to the top flight.

5 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

We badly need players like medhi kallis  and Enoch showunmi to get us on the way back to the top flight.

Farid, Lyle Taylor, Will Vaulks, Mark Millar, Michael Mcgovern, Kallum Higginbotham. Pressley could identify a player.

You honestly believe after the farce of last year we’ll see league reconstruction this time? 

I am almost sure this is gong to lead to SPL 2, B teams and criteria driven entry to the “professional” top leagues (my guess 20-24 clubs). It may not be this year but it is coming. Finance and pragmatism is driving it

29 minutes ago, glasgow_bairn said:

He was working with Sky back in April last year. I was renewing my sky deal and he was asking about ways he could save me some money. He asked if I watched the sports, which I told him I did. He asked which sports, when I said football, he asked who I supported. When I said falkirk, he said that he used to play with them. Eventually it clicked with me and we got to chatting about his time there.
He was looking to get into coaching as his head and body just weren’t in the right place anymore to play professionally.

Rory Loy banging in goals for the Bairns and then saving you money on your Sky renewal. What a guy.

I hope he gets involved in football again. I remember his podcast with Craig Telfer well and he came across as an intelligent and thoroughly decent guy. I could see him being an asset to clubs, be that as a coach or maybe working on the psychological side of sport.