The Falkirk FC Thread

1 minute ago, CC52 FFC said:

If it’s to do with testing surely if the government distributed the grant evenly we could afford to test as well?  Ah well, if we don’t continue, they set a precedent last season...

I thought the cash given out at the start of the season was for this?

8 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

Are these the only professional leagues in Europe to be postponed? 

Deaths and hospitalizations will be worse in 3 weeks than now. Pretty special short sightedness from the powers that be again imo. It’ll be months before we’re playing again. Cheers lads 

Complains about 'pretty special short sightedness' while putting thousands of deaths and a health system under breaking point beneath 'ah want ma fitba league to play again!' in the priority list. 

Never change, Falkirk.

5 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Why is it ok for the championship and yet not us. Clear restriction on trade surely.

Try taking it up that sense of injustice with the pubs that were closed because they didn't serve food. See how they got on with that argument in the middle of a pandemic.

11 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Why is it ok for the championship and yet not us. Clear restriction on trade surely. I thought the whole idea of the hearts benefactor giving out cash was so that lower leagues could pay for testing if required so why is this now occurring. Complete shambles.

Championship clubs are more likely to be full-time and thus easier to keep in a bubble. League One and below more likely to be part-time, folk will have jobs they go to during the week, far harder to keep track of where everyone has been.

42 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Why is it ok for the championship and yet not us. Clear restriction on trade surely. I thought the whole idea of the hearts benefactor giving out cash was so that lower leagues could pay for testing if required so why is this now occurring. Complete shambles.

Any league that doesn't test should be cancelled IMO.

1 minute ago, virginton said:

Complains about 'pretty special short sightedness' while putting thousands of deaths and a health system under breaking point beneath 'ah want ma fitba league to play again!' in the priority list. 

Never change, Falkirk.

Knew this would get the holier than thou, zero riskers out in force. 

Everything we do in life comes with a risk. We evaluate these risks to weigh up whether an action is worth doing or not. There has been little to no evidence that playing football outdoors causes ANY increase in transmission. Very, very strict protocols in place which I know falkirk are following extremely seriously - no car shares, different changing room spaces etc. On the other hand, football is a lifeline to a huge number of people. Warnock said it best midweek. Turn on the news, and it’s death and horribleness wherever you look. Sport provides a brilliant escape from this and is arguably necessary.

Short sighted? Definitely. Have they learnt nothing in 10 months? NOTHING will improve in 3 weeks time. Suspending the Scottish cup as well, so there’s an impossible fixture backlog? Good one lads 😂😂.

I thought James Anderson granted each club money at the start of the season to test? Has that been spunked up the wall by everyone else too? I can just about understand wanting the league to be stopped until testing was in place. But an outright postponement? I do not think that is the correct decision. 

3 minutes ago, Rugster said:

It says the championship is only permitted to continue if they start testing

Were league one given that option? We were all asked at the start of the season whether we were willing to play this season and could afford testing if and when required . All teams agreed. You either shut it all down below spfl level or you keep it going. Typical half way house from Doncaster and his chums.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

1 minute ago, Shadwell Dog said:

We're league one given that option? We were all asked at the start of the season whether we were willing to play this season and could afford testing if and when required . All teams agreed.

I believe the reasoning is that the majority of teams are part time and bubbles are harder to create along with increased contacts as part time players obviously work too. 

31 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

We're league one given that option? We were all asked at the start of the season whether we were willing to play this season and could afford testing if and when required . All teams agreed.

Doubt we were given the option and doubt many clubs would it take it up either.

Just now, ShaggerG said:

Doubt we were given the option and doubt many clubs would it take it up either.

The money was given to them for testing at the start of the season. 50k each and now they've had another 100 to 150k from the govt. No reason why testing can't be afforded.

1 minute ago, Rugster said:

I believe the reasoning is that the majority of teams are part time and bubbles are harder to create along with increased contacts as part time players obviously work too. 

So why allow Arbroath and alloa to play then? Surely that completely defeats the purpose. 

I'd made the point a few times on here that the lower leagues getting away with not testing to me was astonishing. I mean crazy.

I really don't know who made that call but it was always going to be a huge issue should the pandemic get worse in Scotland.

The only time the lower league teams were forced to test was when playing the precious SPFL players - as if their lives and families are more important somehow. Or is it all really about a TV deal.

From the reports today, it definitely looks like the rules are going to be tightened further and I suspect Professional Sport is on the table for being stopped.
I was trying to work out what the options could be in League One if, say, sport was cancelled to the end of February. With around 17-19 league fixtures to be played, playing every midweek you could possibly complete mid May at a stretch. Add cup ties to that challenge though.
Personally I think it’s likely that it’ll either be null and void or we reduce the league to 18 fixtures and get it completed. That latter option would need sport to be back in full swing by the mid-March to have any chance of being completed ahead of the Euros in June.
What I don’t know is what the voting arrangement and numbers needed would be for each of those scenarios?…

You would think I was in the know here....[emoji3]

1 minute ago, roman_bairn said:

You would think I was in the know here....emoji3.png

Wouldn't mind so much if it was all pro sport it's the fact that lower league clubs are getting shafted again.  The idea of us perhaps having to play Arbroath in 3 weeks time having not kicked a ball is just ludicrous.