The Falkirk FC Thread

27 minutes ago, grant1903 said:

When do you guys announce the winners of 50 50 draw,I’m not a falkirk fan but spent a tenner as would imagine worth winning,can’t see it anywhere ??

Think it’s been done going by the club twitter. If your name is Steven burgoyne you’re in luck 

55 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Moyes never stood a chance mind you. When you see the time and money solskjaers been given and won her haw and yet Moyes didn't even get a season. Dof can only help and is the first step towards getting the academy back up.  Important we get a reserve/development squad back up and running as at the moment it's very difficult for fringe players to get match fit or find form. We'd have been aswell leaving Blair sneddon at camelon God knows when he last played a proper game of football.

Is there a dof with more experience than Alex Ferguson ? 

He got it wrong, it's just another pair of eyes, Chelsea with performance manager aka dof Cech greatest achievement is digging out his gloves again. 

We got the academy up and running without a dof likewise 100s of other clubs in the UK.

I ain't a fan of dof role, it's just another cog costing the club money that you can point the finger at and it's not a miracle cure by any means.

49 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

So you'd rather we, if decided sack the managers, allowed the current crew who are utterly clueless on football to replace them and then bring in a dof. There's no logic in that whatsoever. A dof has a fresh set of unbiased eyes too.  Too many of the current bod appointed this pair and won't want to sack them and look bad.

St Johnstone had never won a major trophy in their history till he arrived. They ended up 4th 3 years on the trot under him and yet you don't think his star is high. Any club outside the old firm would be happy with those sort of results.  

I'd love him at Falkirk but it ain't going to happen currently.

Are you actually reading what I post? 

I don’t trust anyone currently at the Club to make a correct footballing decision. Not a soul. What I’m saying is, based on his past experiences and success, I’d be happy to trust the judgement of Rawlins in appointing a DoF or new management team much more than I would any of the current mob. I have no idea what his influence is right now though, but I know I’d be much more content if an appointment was made after he arrives rather than before. The fact Gus MacPherson has been spoken to tells me Rawlins isn’t heavily involved at present...however my judgement may be wrong.

I rate Tommy Wright and think he’d be a great appointment for us (whilst acknowledging how unlikely that might be) so you don’t have to sell his achievements to me. My point is, if his star is as high as you make out, to the point where he wouldn’t entertain Falkirk in League One, why have both Dundee Utd and Motherwell (and Ross County) all passed up the chance to appoint him?

Unless someone has direct information from any of the hierarchy, the speculation surrounding M&M is conjecture at best. Yes the football has been shite apart from a couple of decent forty fives, and yes the signings including Alston have been at best average. I’m sure the heirarchy are as angry that we’ve not turned up especially after the last three games where our form has dropped to rock bottom. 
For me and unless we have a complete meltdown M&M will be here till summer,  regardless.
No one with any credibility would come to us for 13 or so games.

If that is the case then it will be the Board that will feel the heat. The fans have these sussed other managers have them sussed and I would guess so have the players so if the Board haven’t then more fool them

18 minutes ago, MSG GTF! said:

Are you actually reading what I post? 

I don’t trust anyone currently at the Club to make a correct footballing decision. Not a soul. What I’m saying is, based on his past experiences and success, I’d be happy to trust the judgement of Rawlins in appointing a DoF or new management team much more than I would any of the current mob. I have no idea what his influence is right now though, but I know I’d be much more content if an appointment was made after he arrives rather than before. The fact Gus MacPherson has been spoken to tells me Rawlins isn’t heavily involved at present...however my judgement may be wrong.

I rate Tommy Wright and think he’d be a great appointment for us (whilst acknowledging how unlikely that might be) so you don’t have to sell his achievements to me. My point is, if his star is as high as you make out, to the point where he wouldn’t entertain Falkirk in League One, why have both Dundee Utd and Motherwell (and Ross County) all passed up the chance to appoint him?

Of course Rawlins is involved. Deans has already admitted they speak on a constant basis. To think that he would still invest 300k without the bod running things past him is simply crazy.

As for Wright.How do you know they have passed up the chance? Dundee united probably went elsewhere because he knocked them back previously so I doubt he was really in the mix. I can't see why he would be at all interested in the other two. He was linked with the Motherwell job in the paper but neither club is in a better state than St Johnstone. Why would you leave St Johnstone of your own free will to move to Motherwell or Ross County. That was never going to make sense. He'll be waiting on a decent job coming along that sees him move up from St Johnstone or he'd still be there. With his record he had just about a job for life there. Would've taken a real bad run to get him fired.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

8 hours ago, wee_bairn said:

Was Gus not well thought of by St Mirren in this exact role? Neil McCann may have a lot of good contacts and be more suited to this role rather than as a manager?
I’m not 100% sure what skillset is required to produce a good DoF so couldn’t support nor write off either of the two rumoured candidates.

DoF depends what your aims are but for us - a club who badly needs a coherent transfer strategy and should be aiming to reinstate some form of youth development in the medium/long term - I'd say an ideal candidate would come from academy or recruitment background.

If you look at Joe Savage that Hearts recently appointed, that's the sort of career path I'd be hoping for in a candidate. Maybe even Ross Wilson, although his was a bit less conventional. 

I could be doing them a disservice but neither of those names tick the boxes for me. 

Edited by lanky_ffc

Much of what you set out (coherent transfer/recruitment strategy, reinstating the academy), is actually what a BoD should do. Once they have defined what it is we are aiming for, then that should be fed down to the relevant employees (manager, coaches and DoF if we have one).

In fact, I would say that just as the DoF candidates will be questioned by the BoD, then a prospective DoF should be questioning the BoD.

Their job is to take that BoD level strategy, then ask themselves the question “so how am I going to do that then”.

5 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Of course Rawlins is involved. Deans has already admitted they speak on a constant basis. To think that he would still invest 300k without the bod running things past him is simply crazy.

As for Wright.How do you know they have passed up the chance? Dundee united probably went elsewhere because he knocked them back previously so I doubt he was really in the mix. I can't see why he would be at all interested in the other two. He was linked with the Motherwell job in the paper but neither club is in a better state than St Johnstone. Why would you leave St Johnstone of your own free will to move to Motherwell or Ross County. That was never going to make sense. He'll be waiting on a decent job coming along that sees him move up from St Johnstone or he'd still be there. With his record he had just about a job for life there. Would've taken a real bad run to get him fired.

Has Wright got a better CV than Hughes ?

Hughes took Raith job due to being out the limelight and suffered for one way or another.....the another a different subject

I guess Wright thought he was shoe in for Ireland job like many did. He is probably now reaching end of his St Johnstone pay off hence he couldn't take another job till 2021 but I can't see him managing in Scotland soon.

Motherwell and Ross county have a less stricter money to spend policy than St Johnstone. Motherwell more fans and Ross county if you get it right could overtake St Johnstone by reinvestment each year other than the usual rebuild jobs you have at both St Johnstone and Motherwell. St Johnstone are indeed a well run club but I personally think his last few seasons seen him think the well is getting dry each season with £s to spend to rebuild a new squad that it's best he got out whilst his stock was high.

I think he would more likely take a job in Ireland given the fact he has moved back there with his age and covid. Rangers, Celtic, Aberdeen, Hibs or Hearts are really only the huge jumps from St Johnstone and I can't see them coming after him but money as per always sways decisions.

5 hours ago, Bantabairn said:

Business is very simple, run in correctly from the top and the rest looks after itself.

Something we have fuked up for probably 20yr or more but even in those years we were progressive and without a dof. 

We have a fan base that tends to buy into anything even if it's tickets for titanic 2, it's fine tuning that to work for us the problem for now 

49 minutes ago, MrDust said:

Has Wright got a better CV than Hughes ?

Hughes took Raith job due to being out the limelight and suffered for one way or another.....the another a different subject

I guess Wright thought he was shoe in for Ireland job like many did. He is probably now reaching end of his St Johnstone pay off hence he couldn't take another job till 2021 but I can't see him managing in Scotland soon.

Motherwell and Ross county have a less stricter money to spend policy than St Johnstone. Motherwell more fans and Ross county if you get it right could overtake St Johnstone by reinvestment each year other than the usual rebuild jobs you have at both St Johnstone and Motherwell. St Johnstone are indeed a well run club but I personally think his last few seasons seen him think the well is getting dry each season with £s to spend to rebuild a new squad that it's best he got out whilst his stock was high.

I think he would more likely take a job in Ireland given the fact he has moved back there with his age and covid. Rangers, Celtic, Aberdeen, Hibs or Hearts are really only the huge jumps from St Johnstone and I can't see them coming after him but money as per always sways decisions.

Something we have fuked up for probably 20yr or more but even in those years we were progressive and without a dof. 

We have a fan base that tends to buy into anything even if it's tickets for titanic 2, it's fine tuning that to work for us the problem for now 

I’m sure our commercial dept would market tickets for Titanic 2 as a once in a lifetime luxury cruise with the opportunity to swim with whales in their natural environment.

Edited by Reggie Perrin

I used to think Gus McPherson would have been a good DoF for us after his role at St Mirren where they seemed to do well with recruitment, especially abroad, and their academy providing them good players for the first team.

However it appears he just had a Wyscout account, pretty much like using the football manager database, and I’m not sure what input he actually had in the academy.

The role of DoF is confusing to fans, it doesn’t appear to be the exact same role at different clubs.

As someone said in a previous post, if Falkirk employs one it has to be a football strategy of helping recruiting the right players (the majority of the time, there will always be signings that don’t work out, just not as bad as that last list of players seen on a previous post) as well as working on rebuilding an academy.

2 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Would you rather we lost to someone like Dundee United or Inverness?

We are murder, bank some cash and use it to try and get out of this hellhole of a league.

I'd rather we drew someone shite and had a chance at a decent cup run to be honest. I can see your logic though.

At this point I can't see us beating Arbroath anyway.

Edited by Gaz

Presumably that's wages for another player or two if we beat Arbroath. Not going to win the tournament and can't get to any decent away games so might as well cash out.

I assume as it more than likely will be on TV?