The Falkirk FC Thread

Don’t want them to fail but they need to turn it round in the league, personally think they have been too pally rather than manager and worker relationship with the players and they need someone to get shouty with them as the end of the day it’s their jobs they are costing..

couldn’t give a toss about the cup 

Thing is, “Falkirk are a club that really shouldn’t be in L1” is already turning into a fading cliché (especially given PT share that same mantra).
f**k up again this season, and we will become “one of the biggest clubs in L1, and a side that anyone wanting out of L1 will have to beat”.
I don’t agree that we are a club in free fall, but we definitely are a club that keeps getting the key decisions wrong.
We are repeatedly setting short term goals, and failing most of the time. “keep us in the top flight” fail, “get us back into the top flight at first time of asking” fail. We got to the play offs, but were never equipped to beat the top flight side. Then it’s “keep us in the championship”.....yes. Then next season spiralled down into the same thing “keep us in the championship....massive fail. Then “get out of L1” ....fail. Then this season, the same thing.....get us out of L1......on track for a while, but not exactly convincing......then three disastrous games that is perilously close to a de-rail. Lose the next game, and the wheels will come off completely.

Rawlins has proved himself astute in sport. FFC have proved themselves to be the complete opposite. For me, I wouldn’t want another big decision made by the current board. There’s still precious little about the board that convinces me that they will get things right. KK on the board??? Why? He’s an employee for heaven’s sake. Doing stuff like that gives me the fear in terms of future decision making.

1 hour ago, Stainrod said:

I understand it’s win on Saturday or they walk . Now not sure what result I want ? 

If true do they walk of their own accord or get sacked ? Ultamatum on one game smacks of an amateur approach  ( again ) . Please ask your source to be more precise.

I understand it’s win on Saturday or they walk . Now not sure what result I want ? 

I don’t think a cup tie away to a side a division above is a good game to judge us on tbh.
Would make more sense if it was the home game with Montrose, so not sure I believe this....

Definitely the Montrose game. We have just been soundly beaten by East Fife. It was getting into the performance realms of the 0-3 QotS game.

The Montrose game is the one, but even a point will be enough to put off any decision on a change of management, and even then, the current board would just want someone else who wouldn’t rock the boat. Another “yes sir, no sir” manager.

I am genuinely fearful of the current mob appointing a DoF.

In the grand scheme of things they have only lost 3 league games in their time in charge but i think the thing that makes this season so different is 1 its short due to pandemic and 2 Can we afford to stay full time in the seaside leagues so its a b*****d of a call to make as why would you sack someone when your top of the league its just way too f**ked up but the same time the players need to react to it but we have the chance for changes for starters we know Dowd and Sammon doesnt work (so why the f**k do we persists waiting for Sammon to score is like waiting for lightning striking the same place twice) telfer goes missing and has showed he isnt up for a scrap and Alston return has been disappointing. 

Wouldn’t be appropriate but it was from a source who has a son on the board - and one I trust 

Well that narrows it down to one person. We need you to be more specific.

Saturday will highlight again whether we have made any progress this season.  We played a more in form Arbroath side last season and after a tight affair up there won the home leg pretty comfortably. If we fail to at least equal that it will reinforce to me  that we have not improved one bit this season.  There's also prize money at stake and who knows maybe TV money.  A good performance and a win is badly required.

Saturday will highlight again whether we have made any progress this season.  We played a more in form Arbroath side last season and after a tight affair up there won the home leg pretty comfortably. If we fail to at least equal that it will reinforce to me  that we have not improved one bit this season.  There's also prize money at stake and who knows maybe TV money.  A good performance and a win is badly required.

The last sentence contains two wishes. You may only have one wish. Whichever wish you choose is not guaranteed to come true.

50 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

In the grand scheme of things they have only lost 3 league games in their time in charge but i think the thing that makes this season so different is 1 its short due to pandemic and 2 Can we afford to stay full time in the seaside leagues so its a b*****d of a call to make as why would you sack someone when your top of the league its just way too f**ked up but the same time the players need to react to it but we have the chance for changes for starters we know Dowd and Sammon doesnt work (so why the f**k do we persists waiting for Sammon to score is like waiting for lightning striking the same place twice) telfer goes missing and has showed he isnt up for a scrap and Alston return has been disappointing. 

Believe it or not I'd play Todd in the middle on Saturday. As you say, Alston and Telfer have both disappointed and Todd played not too badly away to Thistle in that role. Might as well give it a try.

2 hours ago, Sarcastic Bairn said:

The best thing about the statement is Martindale admitting he's been pulling the strings for years.

"I've been trying to sign him since he left St Mirren"

Even Alan Stubbs realised he wasn't very good and that's saying a lot. That being said god knows who we'll get if Reilly's ending up in the premiership.

4 hours ago, AL-FFC said:

Don’t want them to fail but they need to turn it round in the league, personally think they have been too pally rather than manager and worker relationship with the players and they need someone to get shouty with them as the end of the day it’s their jobs they are costing..

couldn’t give a toss about the cup 

Ah the old Good Cop Good Cop set up. I agree with you that this is a problem.

To me the players are underperforming individually and as a collective - which is down to the management.

For me the dual managers set up doesn't work and belongs at amateur level, both of them have their authority diluted.

22 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

The best thing about the statement is Martindale admitting he's been pulling the strings for years.

"I've been trying to sign him since he left St Mirren"

Even Alan Stubbs realised he wasn't very good and that's saying a lot. That being said god knows who we'll get if Reilly's ending up in the premiership.

Stubbs saying at the time that Reilly had had a good season but he wanted to take st Mirren to a whole new level. He certainly did that.

Believe it or not I'd play Todd in the middle on Saturday. As you say, Alston and Telfer have both disappointed and Todd played not too badly away to Thistle in that role. Might as well give it a try.

I’d much rather he was as far away from the team as possible. He had glimpses last year but he’s offered us absolutely nothing at all this season. At least Robbie Leitch, who is a league 2 jobber at best, has popped up with a few goals whilst Todd just doesn’t contribute.

Can’t believe I’m saying this but we’ve got to get Telfer in the team and give him a proper run of games. I was one of his biggest critics last season and was seething when we gave him a new deal but he’s looked infinitely better than Todd/Leitch/Miller/Alston this season. I’d rather have him in the middle but if Connolly is still out then you play him wide and unfortunately continue with Alston in the hope he pulls some form out his arse. However continue to hoof it and bypass the midfield like we did on Saturday doesn’t matter a f**k who we play in there. Our striking options consist of a not fit Keena who must start, Sammon who’s dugshite, Dowds who tries but never a full time player, Francis who’s playing about 2 levels above his ability and Miller who can’t be close to any kind of match fitness due to his age and hesitance to play himself. If we’re going to persist with 2 up top and with the options we have in midfield I think we need to, then the combination absolutely has to be Keena and Miller for the time being. He’s the only striker wee got capable of challenging effectively in the air, holding the ball up, bringing others into play and buying cheap fouls.

Also I’d be looking to get Gary Miller back into the defence. He should only play in midfield when Gomis is not available but when he is I’d have him either at right-back or partnering Dixon in the middle. Would give us a slightly smaller centre back pairing but what a difference would be to have 2 centre backs that could actually defend would be a real novelty.

Just checked and since the start of last season Sammon and Dowds have scored a combined 21 goals in 99 games. So one of them scores every 4.7 games. Granted there will be a fair few sub appearances in there and of course Dowds didn’t play for us last season but still that is a pitiful record. As a comparison Declan McManus scored 24 goals in 34 games last season. Didn’t quite realise it at the time but his form majorly papered over the cracks for the managers last season.