The Falkirk FC Thread

16 minutes ago, 60`s bairn said:

My understanding is that he resigned after a 1-3 loss to St Johnstone in Perth in October but the Board persuaded him to carry on.

Yeah that was indeed the story.  George Craig couldn't let go of his project and knew all eyes would be on him as Eddie was his idea in the first place. You really couldn't make up the mess that George Craig and then Craig Campbell left our club in.  The Eddie May appointment and the academy closure are equalled only by fulstons appointment of John Lambie as thee worst decisions in my time of supporting the club and we are still paying for the former two.  You've got a club that had basically become a regular fixture in the top flight, with a cracking stadium , fantastic training facilities, decent support base and European football on the horizon. In my lifetime the club has never been such an attractive prospect for any manager and possibly will never be again and yet George Craig appoints the feckin youth coach who has zero experience of football management whatsoever.  Still enough to make you greet a decade plus on.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

9 minutes ago, gav-ffc said:

One of our trialists in the summer who played in the Raith friendly signing with Peterhead, Niah Payne.

Well if he's deemed worse than Francis we should have nowt to worry about. Now watch him tear up the league as Francis warms our bench.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

2 hours ago, LatapyBairn. said:

No argument from me who the real villains at the club were, Hartley also being one of them (some people seem to want to give Hartley a pass here) I was merely pointing out the facts, it was Hartley himself who put the club in touch with Mitchell and absolutely no players were signed without Hartley having the final say, no player was “foisted” upon him as some were trying to suggest. Hartley is every bit as responsible for the demise of our club as the former BOD members you mention and thankfully was removed with the other two to follow him out the door soon after.........also the “Edi” patter is chronic by the way. People on here know who I am. 

Well how on earth would I know which LatapyBairn you are, the Edi one or the one the people know, except me obviously.     

1 hour ago, 60`s bairn said:

My understanding is that he resigned after a 1-3 loss to St Johnstone in Perth in October but the Board persuaded him to carry on.

Yes true, he was a broken man that day and never came out his dugout for all the of second half.

He tried to resign again at Christmas and George Craig persuaded him to stay again.

Then after the Killie home defeat in February I was in hospitality and news was coming in that he had resigned again again George was still running around trying to get him to stay, but the BOD and Eddie were having none of it this time.

Still he had "Falkirk Blood".     

11 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Gavin Reilly released by Carlisle by mutual consent. Worth taking a look at I'd say.

He only really had the one good goalscoring season up here and that was in a title winning St Mirren team. The rest he wasn't very prolific and from what I can remember of him he wasn't exactly a player you feared playing against.

2 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

He only really had the one good goalscoring season up here and that was in a title winning St Mirren team. The rest he wasn't very prolific and from what I can remember of him he wasn't exactly a player you feared playing against.

He's an infinitely superior forward to anything we have been picking from so far this season. Three strikers with four goals between them.

6 minutes ago, AGPar said:

He's an infinitely superior forward to anything we have been picking from so far this season. Three strikers with four goals between them.

I can't disagree with you in terms of how bad our strikers have been this season but Gavin Reilly's stats speak for themselves. 9 goals in the last 3 seasons, the last player we picked up after being released from Carlisle was Joe Mckee. Now a lot of players go down south and can't make the grade so end up back here and do well but I can't actually remember watching him and thinking he was any good.EE3B38D0-1993-45A0-9CCF-2330A1F9B4DA.thumb.png.d438fc4e07323bcb978772f9b3e65691.png

3 minutes ago, Bantabairn said:

Don’t think you’re too far away, however I’m be disappointed if we’re not scouring the market for a CF. 

After the performance the defence put in last week a decent centre half who can organise would be ideal but I think they will put that down to a bad day at the office, another loan keeper in to replace pj and a striker might be our lot. 

A striker and a winger for me. The defence seems to have sorted itself with Dixon moving into centre half. Our real issue is creating chances and scoring goals. 1 goal in the last three games. Would also love a centre mid with a bit of energy but the fact we have about 6 players capable of playing in the middle of the park made me swing more for a winger as other than Connolly and Morrison everyone else looks lost out wide.

Edited by FFC 1876

3 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

A striker and a winger for me. The defence seems to have sorted itself with Dixon moving into centre half. Our real issue is creating chances and scoring goals. 1 goal in the last three games. Would also love a centre mid with a bit of energy but the fact we have about 6 players capable of playing in the middle of the park made me swing more for a winger as other than Connolly and Morrison everyone else looks lost out wide.

While I disagree that the defence has sorted itself (it was a complete mess on Saturday) I do think in this league if we could create and score more chances then we'd win enough games to go up.  Defence then needs major surgery to compete in the league above.  

At the moment our problem is converting chances and the god awful 'style' of play we seem to be persisting with week in week out.  

The statement from Carlisle would suggest he's returning to a former club. Though "an environment where he's consistently done well and scored goals" could refer the an actual league rather than a club I suppose.

45 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Even then it was a decent first 6 months at St Mirren, he'd vanished by the second half, dropped out the team and St Mirren didn't make any great moves to keep him. 

League 1 might be his level. 

Even then it was a decent first 6 months at St Mirren, he'd vanished by the second half, dropped out the team and St Mirren didn't make any great moves to keep him. 

We've had this already. He's fine at Championship level.

1 minute ago, 19QOS19 said:
4 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

We've had this already. He's fine at Championship level.

We have, an he's absolutely not fine at championship level. He had a good 6 months at championship level with St Mirren, from January onwards he scored 2 league goals for them, in a team that was winning the championship. His career since then has seen that record continue. He's got more on his record suggesting that he's not good enough for championship level, than he does pointing the other way. 

For Dunfermline he scored one goal over a whole season...