The Falkirk FC Thread

Quite like the idea of Houston to steady the ship. His recruitment was awful but he could coach and he knew how to change a game with subs.  Give him the role to the end of theseason to get us over the line, buying time for a proper recruitment process. 

2 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

Quite like the idea of Houston to steady the ship. His recruitment was awful but he could coach and he knew how to change a game with subs.  Give him the role to the end of theseason to get us over the line, buying time for a proper recruitment process. 

Isn't he happy what he is doing at Celtic?  That's why he never took up head of football role when offered it before Gow. 

3 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Agreed - we would have 50+ applications if there was a vacancy

But of those 50+ applications I highly doubt there would be very many if any stand out choices. Our main issue is player recruitment which will hopefully be addressed when we get this DOF in. Until that time I highly doubt the managers will be sacked.

Wouldn’t want anyone in whos another stop gap or anything like that. It doesn’t work.

I can’t imagine Houston would apply, but going off the list of names from when we appointed McKinnon, he’d probably have the best resume. Having listened to John baird’s interview as well, I’d have no doubt he’d get more of a tune out of this 11 than M and M

8 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Right then Shadders you sack M&M now who are you going for as the next manager? 

I'd advertise and see who applies for starters. As BPM says there would be loads of interest.  I'd also sound out the likes of Petrie maybe Peter grant at alloa . To say there's nothing better options out there than m and m is just crazy.

This isn't me defending M&M, I just don't see an ideal candidate out there to turn things around. I can excuse a few bad signings as in the 3rd division of Scottish football we don't exactly have a raft of quality lining up to sign for us so ultimately some are going to be gambles. I can't excuse the same mistakes in team selection over & over again or the lack of being able to change a game by making the wrong subs. We haven't really played well all season bar maybe one or two games yet we're still top of the league by 2 points. Partick game was a big sickener for me, as soon as they went down to ten men subs should have been made to change that game but they both left it too late in the day through fear of losing. 

7 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

But of those 50+ applications I highly doubt there would be very many if any stand out choices. Our main issue is player recruitment which will hopefully be addressed when we get this DOF in. Until that time I highly doubt the managers will be sacked.

Falkirks a fantastic job. Great facilities, superb fan base, decent budget and your assured of your pay at the end of the month at least. Investment just been announced from the Rawlins.  Not sure why there wouldn't be a good number of excellent applications for the job.

Its ridiculous to think there wouldn't be interest from decent managers who are out of work.  The best time for an ambitious manager to take over a club like Falkirk is surely when we are underachieving - great chance to get an early title win on the CV with low-medium expectations next season of consolidating in the championship there's another chance to over achieve.  

I don't think we'd need a player overhaul in Jan to get out this league.  Sure, most are poor but the style of play or 'gameplan' is really what's at fault - mindless humps upfield to 2 strikers who prefer the ball to feet.  My fear is that if we continue with M&M they're unlikely to change the style and we'll continue to drop points.   With a change of style/formation, the return of Keena and potentially 1 new centre half brought in (someone to stabilise like Steven Anderson did last year for Raith) we should get over the line.  Mass personnel changes can then happen in the summer. 

Would prefer not to have Housty as temp manager - I think he'd get us over the line but I expect he'd then be given the job and we'd be back to the lazy cast off signings from premier sides who are no better than Sammon or G. Miller.   Having said that its vital that we do get out of this league this year.  

4 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

Its ridiculous to think there wouldn't be interest from decent managers who are out of work.  The best time for an ambitious manager to take over a club like Falkirk is surely when we are underachieving - great chance to get an early title win on the CV with low-medium expectations next season of consolidating in the championship there's another chance to over achieve.  

I don't think we'd need a player overhaul in Jan to get out this league.  Sure, most are poor but the style of play or 'gameplan' is really what's at fault - mindless humps upfield to 2 strikers who prefer the ball to feet.  My fear is that if we continue with M&M they're unlikely to change the style and we'll continue to drop points.   With a change of style/formation, the return of Keena and potentially 1 new centre half brought in (someone to stabilise like Steven Anderson did last year for Raith) we should get over the line.  Mass personnel changes can then happen in the summer. 

Would prefer not to have Housty as temp manager - I think he'd get us over the line but I expect he'd then be given the job and we'd be back to the lazy cast off signings from premier sides who are no better than Sammon or G. Miller.   Having said that its vital that we do get out of this league this year.  

A left winger would be a must for me too as Connolly seems to be picking up one injury after another.

Also - keep reading posts about people 'fawning' over M&M and creaming themselves about the crossbar challenge etc but not reading any posts on here where that's happening?!  

Again a case of P&B posters moaning about the Facebook page but clearly incapable of tearing themselves away from it.   If you're going to spend so much time on the COYB site then maybe post your anger about it there?  Some opinions I don't agree with here but I don't see anyone who is blindly devoted to M&M.  

From a purely statistical point of view, there was no "new manager bounce"  when we changed policy to a club who sacked managers instead of blindly sticking by them. 

Hartley failed to win any of his first nine matches, seven of which we didn't even score in. 

McKinnon lost six out of his first seven. 

M&M were a slight improvement because we stopped losing games under them (Clyde excepted), but were still drawing with the likes of Airdrie, East Fife and Stranraer. And of course failing to beat Raith. 

Partly for that reason I have my doubts that they'll be binned before the season ends. I suspect they'll get the chance to finish the job they started, providing of course that we don't bomb again over the next couple of games. 

1 hour ago, FFC 1876 said:

This isn't me defending M&M, I just don't see an ideal candidate out there to turn things around. I can excuse a few bad signings as in the 3rd division of Scottish football we don't exactly have a raft of quality lining up to sign for us so ultimately some are going to be gambles. I can't excuse the same mistakes in team selection over & over again or the lack of being able to change a game by making the wrong subs. We haven't really played well all season bar maybe one or two games yet we're still top of the league by 2 points. Partick game was a big sickener for me, as soon as they went down to ten men subs should have been made to change that game but they both left it too late in the day through fear of losing. 

Was Alex Smith that got the new manager bounce after Houston.  

4 hours ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Complete nonsense.

Every team in the land loses  influential players on a regular basis.

To go back to a date about 12 years ago is just idiotic.

We were flying then had an absolutely shocking result against Gretna then indifferent end to the season, followed by a poor season followed by regelation season and everything since. There’s been a trend since that game and month.

Please let’s not have any more posts including ”but we are top of the league”.

We are at our lowest level for over 40 years and making very heavy weather of dragging ourselves back to some semblance of footballing respectability.

Being in the third tier would not be so painful if we were at least being entertained but the standard of football on show is very, very poor even when we have been winning.

Yesterday was the lowest point so far but it was no surprise.

14 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Please let’s not have any more posts including ”but we are top of the league”.

We are at our lowest level for over 40 years and making very heavy weather of dragging ourselves back to some semblance of footballing respectability.

Being in the third tier would not be so painful if we were at least being entertained but the standard of football on show is very, very poor even when we have been winning.

Yesterday was the lowest point so far but it was no surprise.

That's the problem though. A large section of our support have become so apathetic that tripping, slipping, tumbling and finally limping over the line to win the Scottish third tier would be success in some of their eyes.

It all boils down to if the board would like to be proactive or reactive. Are they going to give them time whereby we could be down to third or worse in 1 or 2 games time and then try and get someone in to play catch up or are they going to act before the next league game to allow the new manager the chance to motor away, something which we should have already done. 

Edited by CC52 FFC