The Falkirk FC Thread

4 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Also of note that since criticising the supposed fans ‘sleeping giant’ viewpoint (which no-one actually expressed), he’s just declared us as “sleeping giants”...

It was more to do with the overall status of the club rather than petty squabbles over us having 1500 on Raith Rovers or Mortons average gates but there you go.

30 minutes ago, Trump said:

What players have we signed from tier 6 and tier 7 of England?

Tier 4 then who later played in tier 6 or 7. Happy? Because if not I have a whole list from pre-season 18-19. The bright lights of Dulwich Hamlet, Haringey Borough, Wealdstone, Spennymoor.

Edited by Numbers_One_To_Eleven

On 31/12/2020 at 18:51, welshbairn said:

We had a serious chance of going back up under Pressley in 2011/12. The way I remember it is after losing the Semi League Cup final v Celtic, and knocking Rangers out earlier, we sold Murray Wallace and Kallum Higginbotham and Mark Millar went in a huff for not getting a transfer too, and the rest of the season was like a decision had been made not to bother trying. Very weird. My memory's getting a bit vague though, I thought Ryan Flynn was around too, but he'd gone. P.S. He didn't blow anything like the budget Yogi did in his final season, just about bankrupting the club and leaving us with a thrown together group of players for Vaduz.

4 wins in our last 15 games after losing Higgy says otherwise, we were lucky against Ayr reserves in our last home game win as they rested players going into the play offs.

We only lost one player but the wheels fell off big style. Pressley fist pumping away 0-0 draws away to Morton and other dross was embarrassing, he talked his way into the press and media to believe he was a manager, the fans knew better.

Pressley been getting a lot of unfair stick on here the last few days.   He had a lot of positives of bringing on the players from the academy and had a decent eye for a talented player whom he brought to the club with a limited budget (eg Will Vaulks).  Also he wasn't sacked unlike the last few managers the club have had. 

With GD mentioning having a DOF/Head of football in place soon, it wouldn't surprise me if SP was one of the candidates. 

Pressley been getting a lot of unfair stick on here the last few days.   He had a lot of positives of bringing on the players from the academy and had a decent eye for a talented player whom he brought to the club with a limited budget (eg Will Vaulks).  Also he wasn't sacked unlike the last few managers the club have had. 
With GD mentioning having a DOF/Head of football in place soon, it wouldn't surprise me if SP was one of the candidates. 

Was recently on BBC sportsound saying that he wanted a DoF role.

59 minutes ago, Latapy is god said:

Agree. It wouldn’t surprise me if Pressley was a candidate and I actually think he might get the gig.

Tbh, not sure how I’d feel about it but I’d be willing to give it a chance. He did have relative success in the transfer market and we had more academy players playing during his term than any other (admittedly a lot of it was forced upon him but still). Could the role suit him 🤷🏼‍♂️

3 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

Tbf, farid and Lyle Taylor were 2 strikers no manager has come close to matching in terms of quality since. Defo has an eye for a player. Doesn’t mean I’d be happy with him as DOF mind you 

1. Ex player with relationship with the fans eg Hagi
    1. b) Ex player with crap relationship with the fans eg Pressley
  2. Youthful drive (like when JJ started with us and drove everywhere) & someone looking for first mngr gig
  3. Old sage and relies on the past contacts
  4. Moneyball Uni grad type
  5. None

Fixed for you 😉

3 hours ago, Latapy is god said:

God help us if that is the case. We may as well switch the lights off now. He signed the odd gem but for everyone of them he signed 3 or 4 complete dross. He wasn't sacked because our clueless board didn't have the balls to do it. He should've been told to take a hike as soon as the whistle blew at Kilmarnock.

Can't wait for the influx of talent like.     Mehdi kallis,toufik zerara,Enoch showunmi,Colin Healy,jack Compton,Kenny deuchar,Jason Marr,Ross Perry,Rhys Bennett,Jordan white,Johnny Flynn,Iain Flannigan,Andy Haworth,Sean Higgins,Chris Smith and so on.  Our recruitment has been awful since Hughes's second last season in charge and yet we want to bring back someone who was involved in  that period.  No wonder we are in league feckin one 

Edited by Shadwell Dog

God help us if that is the case. We may as well switch the lights off now. He signed the odd gem but for everyone of them he signed 3 or 4 complete dross. He wasn't sacked because our clueless board didn't have the balls to do it. He should've been told to take a hike as soon as the whistle blew at Kilmarnock.

Are there actually many managers at our level who don’t sign a few disappointments for ever good player they sign?
I honestly think it’s the norm.
Some of our signings have potential. They just don’t realise it for various reasons....

5 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Are there actually many managers at our level who don’t sign a few disappointments for ever good player they sign?
Some of our signings have potential. They just don’t realise it for various reasons....

He signed about 3 gems and the rest were mainly complete dross. Even the likes of higginbottom only played well for 6 months. We needed him the season before when he was dugshit. Millar was the same awfull in his first season when we actually had a budget that may have taken us up. If you want to win things the vast majority of your signings need to be good.  With Pressley it was the opposite. 2 or 3 gems and the rest complete crap. See above for a list of some of the dross. Andy Haworth was his main signing one season.and he played about ten games if that. Chris Smith didn't even play a single game. Pressley has been hopeless everywhere he's been and thankfully I very much doubt he'll be back.as the guy has delusions of grandeur which is why he hasn't got a job just now. Falkirk fortunately will be too beneath him in league one.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

33 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Scobbie spoke about how Pressley was like a different man after that relegation in the pre-season. Some excellent signings, good track record in the Academy, consistent 3rd place finishes and great cup nights seems pretty solid to me.

7 minutes ago, Numbers_One_To_Eleven said:

Scobbie spoke about how Pressley was like a different man after that relegation in the pre-season. Some excellent signings, good track record in the Academy, consistent 3rd place finishes and great cup nights seems pretty solid to me.

Give us a good long list of his excellent signings then.  El alagui, Taylor, miller was shit when he arrived but improved, higginbottom we got 6 months out of but he was here for 2 year.  If your happy with him then your happy to have a club.in league one. Had the biggest budget in the league that first season back down and yet we came 3rd behind Raith rovers who had a pittance of a budget in comparison. 27 points behind county and then 25 points behind Partick the next season.  Atrocious stuff. At least Holt got us in the promotion mix.

Edited by Shadwell Dog