The Falkirk FC Thread

1 hour ago, FFC 1876 said:

Harry Cochrane, Blair Spittal, Jack Hamilton, Chris Mochrie, Cammy Ballantyne and Declan Glass before he got injured.

All of which would walk into our team.

I don’t buy this thought that there are no decent players available in January either. Previously we’ve recruited DKD and Burgoyne who both improved our squad. Last season Callumn Morrison was up for grabs and Raith Rovers signed Maclean who became vital to winning the league. With no reserve football being played there might be an even better chance to sign a youngster for the remainder of the season. It’s a massive window for M&M as we desperately need to avoid signings of the De Vita/ Deveney mould.

43 minutes ago, wee_bairn said:

I don’t buy this thought that there are no decent players available in January either. Previously we’ve recruited DKD and Burgoyne who both improved our squad. Last season Callumn Morrison was up for grabs and Raith Rovers signed Maclean who became vital to winning the league. With no reserve football being played there might be an even better chance to sign a youngster for the remainder of the season. It’s a massive window for M&M as we desperately need to avoid signings of the De Vita/ Deveney mould.

I agree it's used as an excuse for our shit recruitment. We also picked up Nelson and jakubiak in January previously. There are gems out there if you have the manager with the contacts and effort to uncover them.

To me appointing joint managers is always a stop gap anyway. How many last longer than one season if that?

Edited by Shadwell Dog

20 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

No we would rather stick with Todd, Gary Miller and Leitch

If M&M would play our strongest combinations there would be no need to bring in anyone else.  

Telfer/Connolly - Alston - Gomis - Morrison

Todd as back up for Alston/Gomis.  Gary Miller nowhere near anywhere that's not right back.  

Rangers and Celtic will not loan genuinely decent prospects to a team in League 1.  

Edited by Proudtobeabairn

11 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

If M&M would play our strongest combinations there would be no need to bring in anyone else.  

Todd as back up for Alston/Gomis.  Gary Miller nowhere near anywhere that's not right back.  

Rangers and Celtic will not loan genuinely decent prospects to a team in League 1.  

Regan henry is a very good player and Celtic loaned him to Raith in league one.  Doesn't have to be the old firm either. Gullen was at Raith last season and he's a cracking player. Morrison was at East Fife. 

4 hours ago, FFC 1876 said:

Harry Cochrane, Blair Spittal, Jack Hamilton, Chris Mochrie, Cammy Ballantyne and Declan Glass before he got injured.

Two crocked and Hamilton is the one who has starred so far. Mochrie looked decent against us but at 17 will be very much a lottery what they will get out of him over the season. I take it you have been watching Montrose games to see how Cochrane has been a star ? Subbed every game bar one.

Ballantyne isn't a loan 

2 hours ago, wee_bairn said:

I think it's harsh to class Deveney with De Vita. He has next to no minutes for to be judged in that way.

I think we need a striker in as we are putting all our eggs into Keena and we don't fully know if he will live up to the expectations put on him or indeed be fit. 

37 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Regan henry is a very good player and Celtic loaned him to Raith in league one.  Doesn't have to be the old firm either. Gullen was at Raith last season and he's a cracking player. Morrison was at East Fife. 

2/3 of those players had no future at their clubs perhaps a coincidence.

We are dealing with the scraps of youngsters or unwanted players in tier 3 for loans. The majority of experienced players would choose championship before coming to tier 3 

1 hour ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

Is that why there are two on loan at Clyde & two on loan at Partick from Rangers this season? Fed up of hearing that arguement, we can get players in on loan we just don't seem to go asking for them. 

3 minutes ago, MrDust said:

Two crocked and Hamilton is the one who has starred so far. Mochrie looked decent against us but at 17 will be very much a lottery what they will get out of him over the season. I take it you have been watching Montrose games to see how Cochrane has been a star ? Subbed every game bar one.

Ballantyne isn't a loan 

I think it's harsh to class Deveney with De Vita. He has next to no minutes for to be judged in that way.

I think we need a striker in as we are putting all our eggs into Keena and we don't fully know if he will live up to the expectations put on him or indeed be fit. 

2/3 of those players had no future at their clubs perhaps a coincidence.

We are dealing with the scraps of youngsters or unwanted players in tier 3 for loans. The majority of experienced players would choose championship before coming to tier 3 

I've been watching most of the highlights of the games in our league yes and just because he's been subbed off hardly means he's been rank. Cammy Ballantyne is a loan from St Johnstone they have two Cammy Ballantynes.

We're a full time club in the midst of a title chasing season but clubs wouldn't want there youngsters coming to us? 

13 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

In our case it's a lottery and we haven't even bought a ticket. Other clubs seem far more successful at it than us .

We are well down the pecking order for loan players. The clubs will be looking for clubs where they will be tested and pushed against players that bit better and experienced than they are.

Like it or not there are better options than FFC for the standard of player we are looking for. We can look no further than players that are getting punted at the end of the season. Tricky bit is spotting the gems that are out there.

2 hours ago, FFC 1876 said:

Is that why there are two on loan at Clyde & two on loan at Partick from Rangers this season? Fed up of hearing that arguement, we can get players in on loan we just don't seem to go asking for them. 

I've been watching most of the highlights of the games in our league yes and just because he's been subbed off hardly means he's been rank. Cammy Ballantyne is a loan from St Johnstone they have two Cammy Ballantynes.

We're a full time club in the midst of a title chasing season but clubs wouldn't want there youngsters coming to us? 

How do we know what players we have asked for on loan, Miller was at Ibrox before our season started for one reason or another.

The players that Rangers have sent to both Clyde and Partick obviously are not wanted a league up or they wouldve been there, couldnt see them sending Kennedy or Mayo to the third tier and Celtic havent loaned anyone to this tier. 

Cochrane was heralded as the next big thing at Hearts and if being a star in this league is being subbed at half time or subbed 2/3 of a game in then he must have a cigar in his mouth every game/have a tag on that he must be home for a certain time or perhaps not performing in a poor league to warrant 90 mins. 

I am sure Bainsford bairn quoted some of the loans from the top league were available at a cost of around £500 a week for players who hadnt even kicked a first team ball. Partick have got a keeper out their two from Rangers and a 4th choice centre back and three crocks from probably the most experienced manager in the league. We cant depend on the loan market in tier 3 more so this season with the pandemic.

How do we know what players we have asked for on loan, Miller was at Ibrox before our season started for one reason or another.
The players that Rangers have sent to both Clyde and Partick obviously are not wanted a league up or they wouldve been there, couldnt see them sending Kennedy or Mayo to the third tier and Celtic havent loaned anyone to this tier. 
Cochrane was heralded as the next big thing at Hearts and if being a star in this league is being subbed at half time or subbed 2/3 of a game in then he must have a cigar in his mouth every game/have a tag on that he must be home for a certain time or perhaps not performing in a poor league to warrant 90 mins. 
I am sure Bainsford bairn quoted some of the loans from the top league were available at a cost of around £500 a week for players who hadnt even kicked a first team ball. Partick have got a keeper out their two from Rangers and a 4th choice centre back and three crocks from probably the most experienced manager in the league. We cant depend on the loan market in tier 3 more so this season with the pandemic.

Ben Williamson would be a terrific signing

Really good interview with Gary Deans posted by FTV, covered everything you'd want to hear. Transparency from the club is night and day compared to 12-18 months ago which is really good.

I was slightly confused by the fan investment point - it sounds like you need to proactively go to the club to register interest in buying some of the shares they are buying back, rather than them being offered out to the club? 

Really good interview with Gary Deans posted by FTV, covered everything you'd want to hear. Transparency from the club is night and day compared to 12-18 months ago which is really good.
I was slightly confused by the fan investment point - it sounds like you need to proactively go to the club to register interest in buying some of the shares they are buying back, rather than them being offered out to the club? 

Mixed bag for me. Telling the world we have money is an opening the door for players, managers and agents to potentially take the piss. Hopefully we are strong and hard nosed.

Personally I think this should have been left until
Rawlins came in and they did a joint one.

Having said all that more transparency is welcome.

Action to back up the words now please.

1 minute ago, Back Post Misses said:

Mixed bag for me. Telling the world we have money is an opening the door for players, managers and agents to potentially take the piss. Hopefully we are strong and hard nosed.

Personally I think this should have been left until
Rawlins came in and they did a joint one.

Having said all that more transparency is welcome.

Action to back up the words now please.

I take your point but most clubs we would be competing with are in the same position given they just publically got handed 500k.

37 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Apologies for all the questions but I would also like a bit of clarification on the fan investment part. Could I approach the club and buy say £200 worth of shares or are they looking for people to buy larger amounts? Do you need to be in “the fans group” he referenced? If so any info on who is running the group?

Thanks. 

Apologies for all the questions but I would also like a bit of clarification on the fan investment part. Could I approach the club and buy say £200 worth of shares or are they looking for people to buy larger amounts? Do you need to be in “the fans group” he referenced? If so any info on who is running the group?
Thanks. 

Contact the club?

Overall a really open and welcome interview. Answered a fair few of my questions.

One thing I want clarity on - maybe for the EGM rather than this forum (unless anyone itk has the answer). Deans talks of how the board and him want anyone buying a substantial number of shares to be vetted - so that the club doesn’t fall into the “wrong hands” (fair enough and seems the correct approach). However he never gives a figure of how many shares would need to be bought to trigger this vetting. Is it 1% of the club? 5%? 26%? 

Overall a really open and welcome interview. Answered a fair few of my questions.
One thing I want clarity on - maybe for the EGM rather than this forum (unless anyone itk has the answer). Deans talks of how the board and him want anyone buying a substantial number of shares to be vetted - so that the club doesn’t fall into the “wrong hands” (fair enough and seems the correct approach). However he never gives a figure of how many shares would need to be bought to trigger this vetting. Is it 1% of the club? 5%? 26%? 

If you buy 10% of the club you are entitled to a seat on the Board. I would guess that would be the trigger point.

I enjoyed the interview too (thought there was some probing questions too that you don't often see), this level of transparency has been needed to get some trust between the fans and the club so credit to them for putting the effort in.

Thought the comment on Gow being "obsessed" with ownership was interesting and I got the impression we had a Director of Football lined up. Very glad to hear that we'll be moving forward with developing younger players in some format, for me the damage done to the club won't be repaired until we're in the championship with some sort of youth pipeline.

I'm not clear on how we'll be able to buy shares either but I'd imagine that information will come out once the prearranged deals are completed with the Rawlins etc.