The Falkirk FC Thread

Well on the plus side, Partick now only have one more chance to take 3 points off us themselves. On the negative side, when are we going to beat a team in direct competition with us?

Last weekend we were looking at 4 or 6 points to pretty much put the tin lid on it.

2 games and 1 point later we are questioning the same old frailties.

2 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

Mercer, Todd, Leitch, Kelly, Sammon, Dowds, Francis can all f**k off and not be missed. Absolute "meh" players.

Disagree about Sammon and Dowds.

Miller is awful in that role.

What’S that all about? Double substitution with 2 minutes to go when we’ve got a man advantage.

As soon as they lost Rudden we should have been making changes.

Second half was painful again. I was slated for comments made last week before the Airdrie game and I was right. We had the confidence that had been built up to win both games but no. Bottlers again. The pitch doesn’t help either.  We really could have ended the whole thing in the last week but as per usual we don’t. 

Edited by CC52 FFC

Second half was painful again. I was slated for comments made last week before the Airdrie game and I was right. We had the confidence that had been built up to win both games but no. Bottlers again. The pitch doesn’t help either.  We really could have ended the whole thing in the last week but as per usual we don’t. 
We should listen to you more Uri Geller.

1 goal between all of our “strikers” since 1 November. In league 1. Laughable. 

Lee Miller needs to start playing himself from the off (if he’s fit enough). Think we’d get far more joy with him in the team than finished Sammon and no goals Dowds 

I think comments made re Dowds are harsh. I know my opinion is a minority view on this on this forum but feel the guy needs more time and developing. His work rate is second to none. Think we all need to get off his back and give the guy a break. I’m sure he will come good, first season as a full time player.

2 minutes ago, bejazz1 said:

I think comments made re Dowds are harsh. I know my opinion is a minority view on this on this forum but feel the guy needs more time and developing. His work rate is second to none. Think we all need to get off his back and give the guy a break. I’m sure he will come good, first season as a full time player.

I would’ve agreed a few weeks/month ago, but football is a cruel career. You either show youre good enough or you don’t. 

I feel we’ve been at our “best” this season with him up top, linking play reasonably e.g his assist v cove. Also thought he was unlucky a few times, hitting post and bar. 

However, We’re now into January for our next game and he has 2 league goals, and looks drained of confidence. We cannot be players’s project to get better. We need guys who’ll win leagues 

Two defining games against two sides who would have been considered real competitors from the get go......one point and zero goals.

Be it confidence, ability, tactics or coaching, there’s real cause for concern in what we are seeing. Once Rudden was gone, it didn’t feel like “right, let’s go win this“. It felt like “right, great chance to hold out for a point”.

It’s a weird one. Remember the days when Presley was terrified every time we played anyone considered half decent? Five days of fretting how good the opposition were. Last season and now this, it feels like that approach has taken hold again, and we look riddled with self doubt.

3 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

However, We’re now into January for our next game and he has 2 league goals, 

He's scored one league goal, against Forfar in the second game of the season. A striker playing for Falkirk in the third tier of Scottish football is judged on goals. Tries, but not up to it unfortunately.

Remarkable to think we have picked up 1 point out of 6 at home but we are still guaranteed to turn the year 4 clear of the field.
I said it before, we don’t need to do a lot to win this league. Problem is we aren’t doing much at all.
Hopefully we return to something more like decent away to East Fife....

He's scored one league goal, against Forfar in the second game of the season. A striker playing for Falkirk in the third tier of Scottish football is judged on goals. Tries, but not up to it unfortunately.

Don’t totally disagree, but does not appear to have stopped Sammon from starting.....

You'd get away with one of either dowds or sammon if you had a decent striker up beside them but you can't play both of them together. We got away with it due to Morrisons purple patch but now it's dried up we never look like scoring. Summer signings again for the umpteenth year in a row look poor. Keena injured so can't rate him at all. Dowds showed in flashes but doesn't score anywhere near  enough for me. Francis looks like he's playing at least two levels above his standard. Mercer is another mediocre right back that couldn't cross his legs. Kelly is okay if not spectacular at least he means we don't have to play durnan.  Sneddon obviously nowhere near the first team, young boy from Killie no.idea why we signed him and Morrison has been good in the main although his form has dipped at the moment. Backup goalie is fine. Alston has been a huge disappointment but will struggle In a midfield with zero pace. Hardly a glowing report and follows on from the dross they picked up last January like Todd etc.

I fear my view of M&M is going to be the same as that as McKinnon. I was of the opinion that even if we had stumbled to winning League One last year under McKinnon, he should have been replaced when we went up. Of course, things eventually went so far south the other way that we had to get rid. However, even if we do go up, I'm not convinced these two, or the team they have built, will be answer in the Championship (especially if our ambition upon promotion would be at least to challenge for the play-offs).

7 minutes ago, Bantabairn said:

We were warned that dropping to league three would be difficult in attracting decent players. Sure as hell we find that even our marquee signing of Alston, it doesn’t always pay dividends( so far)
Apart from maybe Rudden, & Goodwillie, there’s not any player that would have me clamouring over the desk to sign. I genuinely think the team has hit rock bottom form, and just needing a positive game & Dowds to find the net. We’re top of the league and will have played half our season by end played January. If we can pick up maximum points it’s difficult to see us losing the top spot 

We should've been cherry picking this league early doors last season and picking up the best players around like the  likes of ray grant and a few others.  

Edited by Shadwell Dog

We were warned that dropping to league three would be difficult in attracting decent players. Sure as hell we find that even our marquee signing of Alston, it doesn’t always pay dividends( so far)
Apart from maybe Rudden, & Goodwillie, there’s not any player that would have me clamouring over the desk to sign. I genuinely think the team has hit rock bottom form, and just needing a positive game & Dowds to find the net. We’re top of the league and will have played half our season by end played January. If we can pick up maximum points it’s difficult to see us losing the top spot 

Imo you seem to think we are better than we are.

Of that squad only Mutch, Kelly, Morrison, Alston and probably Keena are good enough to have us challenging at the top end of the championship.

I just hope Rawlins is watching and sorts things out when he lands in January.

21 minutes ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

I fear my view of M&M is going to be the same as that as McKinnon. I was of the opinion that even if we had stumbled to winning League One last year under McKinnon, he should have been replaced when we went up. Of course, things eventually went so far south the other way that we had to get rid. However, even if we do go up, I'm not convinced these two, or the team they have built, will be answer in the Championship (especially if our ambition upon promotion would be at least to challenge for the play-offs).

Be interesting to see what may change once this external investment has been ratified. Cannot imagine they are coming in to be pissing about in the third tier for any length of time, and would like to think that the No Expectations culture which has blighted the club and a significant proportion of our support for too long will finally be a thing of the past. Sights will  need to be set a hell of lot higher than rolling over the likes of Dumbarton and Peterhead. Yet to beat a full-time team in their thirteen months in charge, frightened to death of giants like Partick Thistle and Raith Rovers and the style of football is eye bleedingly bad. Could be an interesting month ahead