The Falkirk FC Thread

10 minutes ago, Bantabairn said:

Fact,  three players we spoke to of a decent pedigree said no as third tier of Scottish football, McManus was made an extraordinary offer to stay put and knocked us back. 

Daniel Devine, Stephen Kingsley and Wayne Rooney?

Sorry, but neither Dowds nor Francis look like they can be relied on to even trap a pass FFS, going by what we've seen so far.  A poor return to date. Sammon may be a bit better than he was, but the bar was set lower than a snake's arse so it couldn't have been difficult to get some improvement out of him.  So not only are the front men not holding up the ball well enough often enough to bring the midfield into play, none of the three of them look like they'll get near double figures for scoring this season.  Some significant improvement - and then consistency - required by these guys to start to be a realistic threat, a danger, to opposition defences, because right now they're just not.  And if that's seen as knicker-wetting, I'd suggest your head's in the sand.   

5 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

That's because  Sunday was the first big test and we basically shat the bed once again. Same old issues , same problems. This time last season we had only lost one match but had scored 5 more goals. We were 4 points worse off but then we had played an extra home game so imho we aren't a whole lot better off or playing much better than this time last season. We were still humping teams like Dumbarton and struggling against Airdrie. Our right back is still shite, telfer still hides whenever the going gets tough and our strikers are missing a 20 goal plus player.To be honest we haven't even reached the heights of the 6 0 thrashing of Dumbarton yet. 

Fukn hell, Airdrie our first big test....youd think we were playing Brazil 1970 !

Our only test has been Cove for me, lose that and we wouldve been behind them by a bit more than we would have liked

We didnt get the first goal and struggled, it happens to the best teams around and in these times its hard to judge against previous seasons but the Dumbarton team we beat 6-0 last season were much worse on that day than the current Dumbarton, they'd been as well as scoring the goals for us that day and even the Dumbarton fans had more justice in being as miserable as you are now.

You must be in a real bad way to defend wor Ray still 14 games in last season with a bigger budget our results were  W6 D5 L3 and this season so far W9 D2 L3

Ps I hope you have an electric oven

4 hours ago, FFC 1876 said:

The only team that caused us real problems this season where Thistle in the second half and really we should have had that game dead and buried if Dowds had stuck that one away just before half time. Airdrie were solid defensively and managed to nick a goal from a set piece it's hardly us throwing in the towel.

It is all about taking your chances, if we had scored with any of the chances early on in Sundays game then it changes, Airdrie were ultra defensive inthe first half something they werent last season then we were horrific 2nd half, it happens and we move on and hopefully learn from it

1 hour ago, Bantabairn said:

Fact,  three players we spoke to of a decent pedigree said no as third tier of Scottish football, McManus was made an extraordinary offer to stay put and knocked us back. 

I wouldnt be surprised if we offered more money than Dunfermline, this league is a graveyard and very few players make a step down to improve their career better than what they left. 

1 hour ago, MrDust said:

Fukn hell, Airdrie our first big test....youd think we were playing Brazil 1970 !

Our only test has been Cove for me, lose that and we wouldve been behind them by a bit more than we would have liked

We didnt get the first goal and struggled, it happens to the best teams around and in these times its hard to judge against previous seasons but the Dumbarton team we beat 6-0 last season were much worse on that day than the current Dumbarton, they'd been as well as scoring the goals for us that day and even the Dumbarton fans had more justice in being as miserable as you are now.

You must be in a real bad way to defend wor Ray still 14 games in last season with a bigger budget our results were  W6 D5 L3 and this season so far W9 D2 L3

Ps I hope you have an electric oven

It is all about taking your chances, if we had scored with any of the chances early on in Sundays game then it changes, Airdrie were ultra defensive inthe first half something they werent last season then we were horrific 2nd half, it happens and we move on and hopefully learn from it

I wouldnt be surprised if we offered more money than Dunfermline, this league is a graveyard and very few players make a step down to improve their career better than what they left. 

Christ we didn't have that many clear cut chances at the end of the day. Sammon and dowds had one each and that was it. I'd see your point if we had battered them for 90 mins . Airdrie had by far the better chances after that. And why choose 14 games. We've only played 9 and our results are similar to his who knows after 14 they may be similar again we don't know. I was expecting a big improvement this season not more of the same. It just annoys the feck out of me that the first time a club shows up parks the bus and doesn't gift us goals then we struggle. The fact that we couldn't even manage a point was piss poor.  If it's that bad in this league how come teams like Dunfermline, queen's,  livie and Arbroath have managed to put sides on the park to win it comfortably probably all on less budgets than we have. 

Saturday will tell us even more about what we're about.  Win and I'll hold my hands up so let's wait and see.

5 hours ago, Believe The Hype said:

I think you need to be a bit more optimistic as the negativity isn't warranted. If we have the exact same return as the first round of games by the end of the season we would be 12 points clear. I would happily take that and say that would be quite comfortable. I'd also take winning the league on goal difference by a solitary goal. How we get there does not matter, as long as the outcome is the same. 

Whilst I essentially agree with you about how we win the league not mattering, I would obviously much prefer to win it comfortably and with some style because I would want us to have at least the nucleus of a settled team and playing style going into the Championship. Let's hope it's a dilemma that we face come the season end!

4 hours ago, Long Suffering Bairn said:

I really like Dowds ability to hold a ball up and his uncoordinated, gangly style must be hard for defenders to read BUT he is not a striker.   I'm not sure where he should fit in in the team.

I think you make a valid point. Dowds certainly isn't a natural goal-scorer but he does have something about him. He's usually quite good on the ball and can create chances but, like you, I think it's difficult to see where he fits. He needs to have the right kind of partner, maybe Keena can provide that but we'll just need to wait and see.

35 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

I think you make a valid point. Dowds certainly isn't a natural goal-scorer but he does have something about him. He's usually quite good on the ball and can create chances but, like you, I think it's difficult to see where he fits. He needs to have the right kind of partner, maybe Keena can provide that but we'll just need to wait and see.

Certainly one of your front two needs to be a finisher and at the moment neither of them is that  and you also can't rely on Francis either unfortunately.

Christ we didn't have that many clear cut chances at the end of the day. Sammon and dowds had one each and that was it. I'd see your point if we had battered them for 90 mins . Airdrie had by far the better chances after that. And why choose 14 games. We've only played 9 and our results are similar to his who knows after 14 they may be similar again we don't know. I was expecting a big improvement this season not more of the same. It just annoys the feck out of me that the first time a club shows up parks the bus and doesn't gift us goals then we struggle. The fact that we couldn't even manage a point was piss poor.  If it's that bad in this league how come teams like Dunfermline, queen's,  livie and Arbroath have managed to put sides on the park to win it comfortably probably all on less budgets than we have. 

Saturday will tell us even more about what we're about.  Win and I'll hold my hands up so let's wait and see.

That Arbroath team that won the league comfortably lost 6 of the 36 games that season. Livingston lost 7, Dunfermline lost 5.

When Morton won it in 2015 they lost no less than ELEVEN!

We have lost 1 in 9 and are 4 points clear.

I am not even sure you know what point you are trying to make. ..

2 hours ago, roman_bairn said:

That Arbroath team that won the league comfortably lost 6 of the 36 games that season. Livingston lost 7, Dunfermline lost 5.

When Morton won it in 2015 they lost no less than ELEVEN!

We have lost 1 in 9 and are 4 points clear.

I am not even sure you know what point you are trying to make. ..

Dunfermline won the league by 18 points livi 19. With goal difference of around plus 50 each. That's what we should've  been looking to equal last season and now this season.  These teams didn't struggle to sign players able to win the league at a canter and neither had budgets bigger than us.  Why are we accepting mediocrity and making excuses.

1 minute ago, Bantabairn said:

Wales considering all sports to be put on hold if the new strain of virus continues to grow, Scotland is never that far away from what Wales does, worrying times..

I'd be very surprised if Cardiff and Swansea aren't given special dispensation.to continue playing in the English championship though.

31 minutes ago, Bantabairn said:

Wouldn’t disagree as it seems like protect the football TV deals at any cost. Does ask the question will testing become mandatory in all leagues or will we still be playing devil’s advocate? 

Who knows. Seems ridiculous that individuals can be in close contact with another 21 individuals  plus ,every Saturday  who will then be mixing with god knows how many family members on a Saturday without any testing whilst the rest of us are being told not to leave the house.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

42 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Dunfermline won the league by 18 points livi 19. With goal difference of around plus 50 each. That's what we should've  been looking to equal last season and now this season.  These teams didn't struggle to sign players able to win the league at a canter and neither had budgets bigger than us.  Why are we accepting mediocrity and making excuses.

Had we not shit the bed on Sunday then a win this week would have seen us on course to a potential runaway league win.

Hypothetical now of course.

Sorry, but neither Dowds nor Francis look like they can be relied on to even trap a pass FFS, going by what we've seen so far.  A poor return to date. Sammon may be a bit better than he was, but the bar was set lower than a snake's arse so it couldn't have been difficult to get some improvement out of him.  So not only are the front men not holding up the ball well enough often enough to bring the midfield into play, none of the three of them look like they'll get near double figures for scoring this season.  Some significant improvement - and then consistency - required by these guys to start to be a realistic threat, a danger, to opposition defences, because right now they're just not.  And if that's seen as knicker-wetting, I'd suggest your head's in the sand.   
Totally agree, and some pressure on Keanna shoulders when he gets fit,, because he apparently solves our problems off taking chances we create, rather than the fact he only one capable off doing it

3 minutes ago, steveffc said:
6 hours ago, Dennistoun Bairn said:

Totally agree, and some pressure on Keanna shoulders when he gets fit,, because he apparently solves our problems off taking chances we create, rather than the fact he only one capable off doing it

We just need to keep our fingers crossed re Keena or it could be another questionable recruitment season once again. So far Morrison and Kelly have proven good acquisitions but the jury is still out on the rest of them I'd say.

Edited by Shadwell Dog