The Falkirk FC Thread

Keena not even being on the bench today concerns me a bit. He was hoping to be quoted today and to get a start next week but the fact that he wasn't there I think means that the best we can hope for is seeing him on the bench v Partick.

1 minute ago, ShaggerG said:

Keena not even being on the bench today concerns me a bit. He was hoping to be quoted today and to get a start next week but the fact that he wasn't there I think means that the best we can hope for is seeing him on the bench v Partick.

If he isn't fit soon they need to get another forward in in January simple as that. We can cope with one of the other 3 playing but not both. McManus would be on double figures by now.

38 minutes ago, CC52 FFC said:
Bottled it because we played a day later and knew exactly what was at stake after Partick losing. If players are fit enough for the bench, they are fit enough to start IMO. 

I actually agree. If the game had been played yesterday the psychology of not knowing we could go 9 points clear of them would not have been a factor.
Not an excuse though.
We actually haven’t been great at home this season at all. Most of our wins have been by a single goal and we can’t score more than two in a game. We have the players to score goals, why we can’t do it at home but we are pretty free scoring away from home?…

Edited by roman_bairn

25 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

I actually agree. If the game had been played yesterday the psychology of not knowing we could go 9 points clear of them would not have been a factor.
Not an excuse though.
We actually haven’t been great at home this season at all. Most of our wins have been by a single goal and we can’t score more than two in a game. We have the players to score goals, why we can’t do it at home but we are pretty free scoring away from home?…

Do we though? Alston, Morrison , telfer maybe.  Connolly gives you a few a season. Can't see any of our current fit striking trio getting anywhere near double figures though. Francis has two and he's our top scoring striker. McManus got what 23 last season which is leaving a huge hole at the moment.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

9 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Not an excuse though.

Yes, 100% agree. 

Do we though? Alston, Morrison maybe.  Connolly gives you a few a season. Can't see any of our current fit striking trio getting anywhere near double figures though. Francis has two and he's our top scoring striker.

We have found scoring away from home relatively easy, so, yes, I think we do have the players to score goals. We don’t have an out and out goalscorer, I agree. But then, neither do most clubs....

39 minutes ago, CC52 FFC said:

Bottled it because we played a day later and knew exactly what was at stake after Partick losing. If players are fit enough for the bench, they are fit enough to start IMO. 

Been like that since at least the backend of the relegation season under McKinnon (1 point from 9 against Alloa/Partick/Morton at home). Last season obviously. Were largely poor at Firhill in November and didn't turn up today. Yet to beat a full-time team since relegation, not great at all. Cove a few weeks ago perhaps the only exception to the rule.The result today, in isolation, is no disaster but it continues this pattern. Highly favourable set of results (again) yesterday, great opportunity to really put daylight between us and everyone else (particularly Thistle) and we just never did it. Makes Saturday even more important. Striker situation isn't doing is any favours. Whilst Sammon, Dowds and Francis has all contributed something this season a return of 4 goals is really poor. See Rudden returned form injury yesterday, you can write the script already.

Just watched the Mcracken interview and he pretty much sums it up. We weren't good enough but it's done so now we look to putting that right next week. Our attacking options are a problem right now as none of Dowds and Sammon look like scoring so we desperately need Keena back. Mcracken saying there could be one or two changes in January which I'd imagine are Sneddon and Laverty out on loan but I wonder if we'll see any in.

14 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

We have found scoring away from home relatively easy, so, yes, I think we do have the players to score goals. We don’t have an out and out goalscorer, I agree. But then, neither do most clubs....

Problem is we need some who will score consistently. Morrison went through a wee purple patch which has now dried up. He's really a winger as is Connolly . You're lucky if you get a handful from either.  There's noone unlike last season that you can rely on to score if you want to win the league we'll need that.  If Keena isn't going to be back soon we must sign a striker or you can forget it.

40 minutes ago, AGPar said:

Been like that since at least the backend of the relegation season under McKinnon (1 point from 9 against Alloa/Partick/Morton at home). Last season obviously. Were largely poor at Firhill in November and didn't turn up today. Yet to beat a full-time team since relegation, not great at all. Cove a few weeks ago perhaps the only exception to the rule.The result today, in isolation, is no disaster but it continues this pattern. Highly favourable set of results (again) yesterday, great opportunity to really put daylight between us and everyone else (particularly Thistle) and we just never did it. Makes Saturday even more important. Striker situation isn't doing is any favours. Whilst Sammon, Dowds and Francis has all contributed something this season a return of 4 goals is really poor. See Rudden returned form injury yesterday, you can write the script already.

Rudden returned from injury and played in a team that lost at home to Peterhead ( and failed to score).

36 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Just watched the Mcracken interview and he pretty much sums it up. We weren't good enough but it's done so now we look to putting that right next week. Our attacking options are a problem right now as none of Dowds and Sammon look like scoring so we desperately need Keena back. Mcracken saying there could be one or two changes in January which I'd imagine are Sneddon and Laverty out on loan but I wonder if we'll see any in.

Already 5 goals fewer than this time last season. That's 15 over the course of the season if it continues.  Warning sign was against cove and Peterhead when we should've been out of sight and yet we're hanging on at the death somewhat.

As many have posted, bad day at office and we move on. Weve had a decent run and a real chance to increase the gap. Thought from the first attack we just looked out of it, and players who have been playing well seemed way off. M&M will be raging I suspect and don’t expect we will put out this performance next week. 

They should be raging at themselves for poor team selection, especially Leitch over Morrison

Just now, Back Post Misses said:

They should be raging at themselves for poor team selection, especially Leitch over Morrison. 

No idea what the plan was today.  You've got two strikers starting that can't hit a cow on.the arse with a banjo and yet you leave your top scorer on the bench.  Airdrie even on poor form was always going to be tricky as Murray had our number last season so no idea why we weren't playing our strongest 11 from the get go.

If everyone is fit I reckon our strongest team is

Mutch 

Miller Hall Dixon Kelly

Morrison Alston Gomis Connolly

Keena Sammon

We look covered in midfield with Telfer unlucky to miss out and Miller able to step in to midfield if Gomis is out. Full backs are covered.

I'd like another centre back instead of Hall who is still prone to two or three major errors a game. Would like another pacy option up front.

4 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

If everyone is fit I reckon our strongest team is

Mutch 

Miller Hall Dixon Kelly

Morrison Alston Gomis Connolly

Keena Sammon

We look covered in midfield with Telfer unlucky to miss out and Miller able to step in to midfield if Gomis is out. Full backs are covered.

I'd like another centre back instead of Hall who is still prone to two or three major errors a game. Would like another pacy option up front.

Toss up for me between dowds and sammon . Both have their moments but I'd agree with you on sammon if he sorts out his finishing which has been dreadful of late.