The Falkirk FC Thread

Keena comes straight back into the team when fit (obvs) and right now I reckon Sammon should be the other starter

No problem with Dowds and Francis battling it out for third choice, neither have looked excellent but haven't seen anywhere near enough to write either off

(for the love of f**k though comparing Francis to Cadette is straight racism, stop it [emoji23])

2 hours ago, roman_bairn said:

I honestly do not understand how we continue to fully assess players who join the club based solely on a few games.
The reality is that players settle into a new team, new playing style and new teammates at different pace and there can often be behind the scenes reasons that impact that we are not aware of.
We are eight games into the season with a significantly new team that’s only just starting to get going IMO. We really need to stop being so quick to write players off.
Last season the trebuchet was out for Dixon, Sammon and Telfer...now they look intrinsic to the team.
Let’s give Francis a chance eh?....

I dont think anyone is writing Francis off, its a case of you do your talking on the pitch and thats why he is on the bench.

Sammon on the otherhand has forced himself to be a first pick from his headflick for the equaliser against Partick and decent performances with a couple of goals.

As it stands the striker we wanted out of the club is the first one on the teamsheet at this time, which can change if any of our strikers showing what they can do on the pitch when given the chance. 

The maddest similarity I have ever heard of Francis and Cadette really frys my brain.  A close 2nd is suggesting he is a better finisher than others at the club, sorry I have faith in our management team to asses that and not some wild suggestion on a forum. I personally think he will struggle this season because at 21 he should be showing more if he has it to make it at this level which isnt that great. I hope I am wrong but so far he will need to improve a hell of a lot but its on his shoulders to do so. 

Here is where Francis sits in league performances so far.
If it’s correct he has scored 2 and assisted 2 in 360 mins on the pitch so far this season.
Hardly disastrous for a young player still finding his feet and he compares well with other established strikers at this point....IMG_0135.jpg

1 hour ago, roman_bairn said:

Here is where Francis sits in league performances so far.
If it’s correct he has scored 2 and assisted 2 in 360 mins on the pitch so far this season.
Hardly disastrous for a young player still finding his feet and he compares well with other established strikers at this point....IMG_0135.jpg

Why is he on the bench ?

1 hour ago, MrDust said:

I dont think anyone is writing Francis off, its a case of you do your talking on the pitch and thats why he is on the bench.

Sammon on the otherhand has forced himself to be a first pick from his headflick for the equaliser against Partick and decent performances with a couple of goals.

As it stands the striker we wanted out of the club is the first one on the teamsheet at this time, which can change if any of our strikers showing what they can do on the pitch when given the chance. 

The maddest similarity I have ever heard of Francis and Cadette really frys my brain.  A close 2nd is suggesting he is a better finisher than others at the club, sorry I have faith in our management team to asses that and not some wild suggestion on a forum. I personally think he will struggle this season because at 21 he should be showing more if he has it to make it at this level which isnt that great. I hope I am wrong but so far he will need to improve a hell of a lot but its on his shoulders to do so. 

The comparison is when Cadette first played for us he never hit the ground running until the following season, if i recall correctly he came to us in the tail end of a season.  Its going to take any player a period of adjustment.  There is a player in there he is just a young lad and i think most of us are expecting him to hit the ground running when the reality is he has competition has to adjust to the game which he has to a degree its just a case of biding his time to break into the first team when Sammon or Dowds goes off form.  On a plus he's no Dennon Lewis..lol

Dont even know how we got onto this if its for reasons or players to go on loan i reckon Laverty and Durnan as both would seem to be surplus to plans for next season. Unless Laverty gets a run out on sub appearances.

3 hours ago, Nedelko said:

Keena comes straight back into the team when fit (obvs) and right now I reckon Sammon should be the other starter

No problem with Dowds and Francis battling it out for third choice, neither have looked excellent but haven't seen anywhere near enough to write either off

(for the love of f**k though comparing Francis to Cadette is straight racism, stop it emoji23.png)

I don’t think Sammon carries enough of a goal threat at present to claim the other striker role for now . He’s got into the habit of taking  95% of his touches backwards ie away from goal . I think he believes or has been told he can hold the ball up and lay the ball off  to the midfield ( it’s not his strength as for a big guy his hold up play is pish as the ball doesn’t stick to him )he needs to take more forward touches on the half turn and get shots away as he actually has decent pace and good strength and is a reasonable finisher. If he changed this aspect of his play then he could easily get in to double figures . I like him and he’s certainly trying but taking the ball backwards slows down our offense and these ridiculous chest offs he does are terrible ( most go to the opposition ) So in conclusion if he use his strength to carry the ball forward he would be a much more effective player. 

Was cadettes first game not at Dunfermline. Vague feeling we lost 1 nil.  Certainly remember hearing a podcast where it was either Jeffries or cadette himself who said he had to work a lot on certain areas of his game once he arrived at Falkirk as they just weren't anywhere near the standard required.  His scoring records in his first season and a half were pretty mediocre too. 13 in about 50 appearances. He was certainly a far better player when he left than when he arrived.

For a change its a good headache to have though compared to the past couple of seasons instead of who to empty first and what is passable.  Sammons interview in the FH sounds as if he had a bit of soul searching to get his finger out his arse given he is at the latter end of his career. Come the end of the season if we are still in the same position will be interesting to who gets kept and who doesnt.

Would be wary about punting players out on loan. Okay they are not playing now but we have seen how useful it’s been with the 5 sub rule to use the squad, and in some positions are one injury away from being much weaker.

Although saying that, we’ve still gone for the incredible Paul Hartley tactic of signing 3 (4 if you include Dixon) left backs, akin to having Robson, Brough and Russell two seasons ago. What a club.

Sneddon and Laverty will go out on loan I'd imagine as they haven't had a sniff of football even with the 5 sub rule. Still leaves us with a squad of 22 and gives them a chance to improve themselves with games hopefully. I don't expect us to make any signings unless someone becomes available we can't really turn down. 

3 hours ago, AL-FFC said:

For a change its a good headache to have though compared to the past couple of seasons instead of who to empty first and what is passable.  Sammons interview in the FH sounds as if he had a bit of soul searching to get his finger out his arse given he is at the latter end of his career. Come the end of the season if we are still in the same position will be interesting to who gets kept and who doesnt.

I sincerely hope , if and when we go up to the Championship ,that we do not fall into the trap of giving Sammon another contract. We need better than that. 

Sneddon is the only one I'd see being loaned out.  It's make or break for Laverty this season I feel and if he's not going to be given minutes with us in League 1 then it suggests M&M don't see him as a long term option.  There should be plenty of games where we are 2 or 3 up and in a position to bring him on if the plan is to develop him. As some have suggested before it could be that his 1 year deal was an inexpensive gamble and loyalty for his long spell injured and inability to give it a proper go up to now.  

Nobody would take Durnan.  

Edited by Proudtobeabairn

9 hours ago, roman_bairn said:

I think it was Rangers fans showing how little they know about anything tbh....

I remember opposition fans shouting at Stainrod for being fat. I also remember being in the Brockville dressing room when he took his shirt off. He was like Tarzan.