The Falkirk FC Thread

2 hours ago, Bantabairn said:

Agree he’s not had too much luck and has quite a record for hitting the woodwork, as long as he keeps up his fitness and application, he’ll be ok 

Simple bit of coaching required here, tell him to try and hit the woodwork and he will miss, the ball then has a 50/50 chance of going in the net.

2 hours ago, TxRover said:

II suspect that’s overly cynical. Raith were better in the middle last year, but you had the better keeper, defense (as a whole) and a similar attack. We improved keeper, shuffled both the attack and back line with some speculative signings, and are holding our own. Whomever comes down to replace Hearts will be weaker, and you seem better than the rest that might come up. Unless Mutch has regressed, probably a starting defender and a starting attacking midfield player might be all you need, if the attack rounds into shape. Of course, several more depth players would be an understood need.

12 hours ago, FFC 1876 said:

I think it's just a case of Dowds not getting the rub of the green the now. His movements good and he's getting into the right positions he just needs one to go in for him. There was a chance on Saturday at 0-0 where he got to the front post for a Connolly cross but it seemed to take a bad bounce and go under him. He holds the ball in well, puts himself about and his mere physical presence free's up space for others. 

Swap Dowds for Kevin O'Hara.

Waited for his goal to go in forever. In the end we just pumped him.

1 minute ago, Shadwell Dog said:

At least dowds puts himself about and creates goals like the one against cove. By the time O'hara moved on.he was contributing hee haw.

You could literally see the confidence drain from O'Hara as the months rolled on.

The player who burst onto the scene was not the same player who left under a cloud.

12 hours ago, steveffc said:
12 hours ago, Hank von Hell said:
To refresh you memory then suggest you watch that 2nd goal at Ibrox again, great run by Cadette  onto a fabulous pass by Fulton. Carried the ball at pace towards the penalty box holding off the defender and a sublime finish - wonderful.      

Yeah I can mind that, was at game with my rangers supporting brother, not point im making though! ,, would you put your morgage on Dowds doing same,? Just think Francis better finisher,,

One can control a ball is the biggest difference between Dowds and Francis.

Francis has done himself no favours with his sub appearances lately to help his cause due to his poor ball control. I get it's hard being a sub and making a difference but the basics should be the easy part to look comfortable.

Francis has had the miss of the season so far for me and it's fair play for M&M trying to improve Francis as Miller himself is the better sub option by far..

I hope Francis does improve but he has to by quite a bit on his current showing

Based on evidence so far, Francis simply isn't good enough.  I have my doubts that there is a player in there and doubt he'll feature much once Keena returns.  

Dowds appears to have more ability but is not an out an out striker.  I agree he also looks overweight and less pacy than Sammon so will most likely be benched when Keena is back.  I do think Dowds with the right coaching and fitness regime stands a better chance of becoming a player than Francis though.  

I honestly do not understand how we continue to fully assess players who join the club based solely on a few games.
The reality is that players settle into a new team, new playing style and new teammates at different pace and there can often be behind the scenes reasons that impact that we are not aware of.
We are eight games into the season with a significantly new team that’s only just starting to get going IMO. We really need to stop being so quick to write players off.
Last season the trebuchet was out for Dixon, Sammon and Telfer...now they look intrinsic to the team.
Let’s give Francis a chance eh?....

As someone has mentioned Dowds is clearly just big built and if he was actually overweight then our sports scientist checks in preseason would have sorted that out. It's just an easy cop out to call him overweight, have you seen how much of a shift he puts into a game?

He'll start scoring soon and I reckon we'll get at least 8 goals from him this season. At least this season we've got people chipping in with goals all over the park so we're not solely relying on Mcmanus scoring every week.

57 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

As someone has mentioned Dowds is clearly just big built and if he was actually overweight then our sports scientist checks in preseason would have sorted that out. It's just an easy cop out to call him overweight, have you seen how much of a shift he puts into a game?

He'll start scoring soon and I reckon we'll get at least 8 goals from him this season. At least this season we've got people chipping in with goals all over the park so we're not solely relying on Mcmanus scoring every week.

Despite missing the 1st third of the season I still reckon that Keena will easily be our top scorer. I think they're likely to try Sammon & Keena together, if for no other reason that they've not really played together so far and they'll want to see if it works. I agree that Dowds will score a few for us though.