The Falkirk FC Thread

4 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

After tonight's showing I hope to god Mercer's back fit for Peterhead as otherwise Durnan will have to play. 

Morrison

Mercer Hall Dixon Kelly

Alston Gomis

Morrison Telfer Connolly

Francis

Agreed with this with the exception of Francis. Toss up between Sammon and Dowds. Neither of them are great and we desperately need Keena back fit.

After tonight's showing I hope to god Mercer's back fit for Peterhead as otherwise Durnan will have to play. 

Morrison
Mercer Hall Dixon Kelly
Alston Gomis
Morrison Telfer Connolly
Francis
Gives me the fear having Francis up front on his own. I see him as a maker of goals for a poacher and that's what we need. Keena looks like one when fit. Dowds is also a support act as is Fishy when he is trying. We can't rely on our midfield to score all the goals like against Dumbarton

I thought we did well tonight. It was a free hit and we played some quite nice stuff at times.

I also thought our midfield looked a lot more balanced than I've seen it for a long time. Given a toss-up between Miller and Gomis (I don't think you can - or, in League One, we should - play them both), I'd have Gomis in there every day of the week.

Edited by 18BAIRN76

28 minutes ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

I thought we did well tonight. It was a free hit and we played some quite nice stuff at times.

I also thought our midfield looked a lot more balanced than I've seen it for a long time. Given a toss-up between Miller and Gomis (I don't think you can - or, in League One, we should - play them both), I'd have Gomis in there every day of the week.

Gomis stuck out like a sore thumb, slightly less with Dixon only cause he read the game well when called on and had Durnan as his right hand man.....I thought Hall did well right back and the management thot he was better than a more experienced right back in Durnan

The bigger picture is we are league 3.... the experience for some of our players to improve is there....sink or swim as a career is there... Bigger bigger picture they are more than capable of having a league winners medal

Sammon needs to get across the front of defenders and anticipate where the ball is going to be from crosses, all to often he's caught on his heels or sometimes not even in the box. He looks as if he's at least trying a leg this season, I'd put that down to him either realising it's last chance saloon for his career and/or M&M saying get your finger out or your away in January. 

Just pleased to come through the game without any injuries and didn't embarrass ourselves.  For the first time I can remember I couldn't care less that we got beat tonight.  Usually when we get beat by any team I get a sick feeling, but not this time.  The ONLY thing that matters this season is we win the league.  Glad to get this game behind us with little or no knock to our confidence.

Edited by Long Suffering Bairn
mistake

32 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

Sammon needs to get across the front of defenders and anticipate where the ball is going to be from crosses, all to often he's caught on his heels or sometimes not even in the box. He looks as if he's at least trying a leg this season, I'd put that down to him either realising it's last chance saloon for his career and/or M&M saying get your finger out or your away in January. 

You are just repeating a commentary comment from today's game.

The reality is Sammon is a lone striker stretching defences in behind, he made a career of it playing international and the top league in England and Scotland. He is now winding his career down, his hunger less but it's only 3/4 games in for Sammon this season but M&M have got more out of him than McKinnon

On 28/11/2020 at 09:20, kiddy said:

Nope, signing Dad's Army was the start of the slide. It ALL stems from that.

I disagree , we had a real resurgence under Houston. We fell at the last hurdle for promotion back to the Premiership and only fine margins prevented us from lifting the Scottish Cup.

That was something to build on , I know Houston did not have the team performing in the end but with a change of manager the structure of the club should have remained the same.  Campbell had other ideas and we are where we are as a result of them. 

14 hours ago, MrDust said:

So we are unbalanced because we don't have right backs in a game where Hall didn't really do much wrong other than his attacking was as akin to G Miller.

I'd have pointed more towards centre back myself but in a 27 game season it's about right, as I'm sure you have suggested today's game was either a free hit or an unwanted game without £s coming in for it.

Although 4-0, I think there are more positives than negatives considering the huge gap, for me we passed it better and rarely went long ball as we have on league one business. We were lacking in the final third but the difference of quality of opposition made that harder compared to league one opposition. 

Anyone moaning today is either a wind up merchant or deranged 

The fact that the management team preferred hall  rather than play mercer says it all to me. They've obviously lost faith in him already and our search for a decent right back continues. I couldn't care less about the score line as the league is all that matters but i am getting fed up with our continuing to sign one shite right back after another no matter who the manager is.

2 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

They've obviously lost faith in him already 

Not really. You have no idea why he didn't start, but given that Hall hasn't played RB for us before, and that a match against the best team in Scotland probably isn't a good time to experiment, I suspect your conclusion is wrong.  

Particularly as Mercer hasn't even been in the squad in the three previous games since he was dropped without explanation.   

I think it's more likely that's he's been unavailable through injury.  And that last night - when he was named on the bench - saw his first steps back towards full fitness. 

8 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Not really. You have no idea why he didn't start, but given that Hall hasn't played RB for us before, and that a match against the best team in Scotland probably isn't a good time to experiment, I suspect your conclusion is wrong.  

Particularly as Mercer hasn't even been in the squad in the three previous games since he was dropped without explanation.   

I think it's more likely that's he's been unavailable through injury.  And that last night - when he was named on the bench - saw his first steps back towards full fitness. 

Correct. Mercer didn't just drop out of the full squad for the fun of it he's clearly been out injured, it would've been stupid to play him last night if he's not fully fit as we've got a much more important game at the weekend. 

14 hours ago, Bigbrbairn said:
15 hours ago, FFC 1876 said:

Morrison
Mercer Hall Dixon Kelly
Alston Gomis
Morrison Telfer Connolly
Francis

Gives me the fear having Francis up front on his own. I see him as a maker of goals for a poacher and that's what we need. Keena looks like one when fit. Dowds is also a support act as is Fishy when he is trying. We can't rely on our midfield to score all the goals like against Dumbarton

I'd merely prefer Francis due to the fact he actually may score whereas Sammon never looks like he's going to. 

9 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I thought you played pretty well yesterday.  I imagine you'll win the league pretty comfortably.

It feels stupid saying it when your team lost 4-0 but I totally agree and even a few Rangers supporting mates said the same at half time. We just lacked a cutting edge and got punished by a clinical performance.

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

The fact that the management team preferred hall  rather than play mercer says it all to me. They've obviously lost faith in him already and our search for a decent right back continues. I couldn't care less about the score line as the league is all that matters but i am getting fed up with our continuing to sign one shite right back after another no matter who the manager is.

It says he wasn't 100% ready, losing G Miller obviously pushed Mercer to make numbers up on the bench.

I personally wouldve put Durnan at right back but obviously the management preferred Hall there of which he was on par as Gary Miller there.

I personally thought we would be on for a 5or6+ goal defeat, I'm not celebrating 4-0 but we came out the game aok and wasn't an embarrassment.

If we get beat on Saturday 4-0, then moans and groans will be justified, not yesterday

9 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

It feels stupid saying it when your team lost 4-0 but I totally agree and even a few Rangers supporting mates said the same at half time. We just lacked a cutting edge and got punished by a clinical performance.

Indeed, the old cliche of 'you'll not play anyone near as good as that in the league' applies here.

I'm not convinced mercer is any better than Doyle or any other right back we've had since Duffie. Why we've got 3 left backs in the squad and yet only one preferred right back is beyond me when it's still our weakest area of the park.

Edited by Shadwell Dog