The Falkirk FC Thread

Knicker wetters were people who complained when we were getting beat in Scottish cup finals and midtable in the top flight. Anyone complaining since then had had every right to do so in the main.

In true knicker wetting style, you’re taking this a bit too serious......

On 13/11/2020 at 16:17, ShaggerG said:

Was just thinking that, IF we manage to get promoted, how many of the current squad would be capable of doing us a turn in the Championship? I think we would probably manage to stay up with the squad we have however, how many of them would be able to sustain a challenge at the top? Not many I don't think.

I think that Mutch, Kelly (based on the opinion of RC fans), Gomis (on a limited basis), Alston (if he revives his previous form) Morrison and Keena are probably the only players we have that look as if they could be involved at the top of the table. Maybe Miller, Connolly and Dixon too at a push. Having said that hopefully the likes of Dowds, Hall, Leitch, Sneddon, Laverty and Francis have a bit of development to come that could see them come good?

Just to give a comparative, Raith have been performing middle of the pack+ level using three of the four starting defenders and the same midfield as last year. Goalie was upgraded, but Mutch would be fine, and we have a mostly new attack. You’d likely slot in as at least better than QoS, Arbroath, and Alloa as is.

5 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Until we find out the financial implications I'm not sure whether this is a good draw or not.

You’ve got an outside chance for some revenue from PPV. The broadcast agreement is for 16 games, 7 already broadcast. There are 7 more games in the quarters, semis and finals that will probably all get broadcast (although perhaps two of the quarters might not be), which leaves 2 (to 4) games broadcast in this round. Celtic , Hibs, Falkirk and Hearts are probably the best TV matches, with the question being if Falkirk v Rangers is more appealing than Hibs v Dundee for the broadcasters...so you might get lucky.

TV monies are evenly split among teams (although I would expect a bump in payment based upon progress...I just can’t find a reference), but PPV revenue is split 57.5/42.5% between the teams. There is also the (small) chance of some international PPV income for FTV.

18 hours ago, wee_bairn said:

Airdrie had the better of us over the season. What was going to change over the playoffs? We absolutely shat it against Rovers away and were lucky to come away with a draw. Absolutely nothing suggests we would have been promoted if it hadn’t been for the pandemic.

Our PPM under M&M was better than Raith's even with shitting the bed against Airdrie and Clyde. Raith did their bed shitting against bottom feeders in the league.

All very auntie had baws tho, but I still feel the last game of the season would have mattered in respect of league position as it was all too close to call.

This season is a scary prospect with 27 games, maybe even less. We need to win on Saturday and need to knock Cove down a peg or two and if we don't, I expect p&b servers to crash 

4 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

They'll show the OF games in last 16 and QFs, both the semis and the final.

Why are folk asking if Rangers or Celtic are live TV games ?

By f**k we had Rangers v Stranraer in one of the cup games last season 

5 of the cup games are actual league games,ours is a stick on for TV and also one of the less boring ties.

58 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

They'll show the OF games in last 16 and QFs, both the semis and the final.

If they “somehow” manage to draw Celtic and Rangers other than against each other, that would be 7 matches to the final...then they broadcast the two other QF matches, and that’s the 16 games. It’s about how I figure it, the only chance would be if they elect to do the Hibs v Dundee instead of one of the OF to try to pretend to be showing other teams...after all, BBC Scotland is showing some non-Hearts Championship games to pretend the same.

Just now, TxRover said:

If they “somehow” manage to draw Celtic and Rangers other than against each other, that would be 7 matches to the final...then they broadcast the two other QF matches, and that’s the 16 games. It’s about how I figure it, the only chance would be if they elect to do the Hibs v Dundee instead of one of the OF to try to pretend to be showing other teams...after all, BBC Scotland is showing some non-Hearts Championship games to pretend the same.

BBC Scotland is tax payer funded and doesn't rely on subscriptions/viewers in the same way as a commercial station.

18 hours ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

I get that the last few years have been hard to take, but I honestly think some folk revel in misery on here.  The slightest peep of optimism and folk jump on it.  The last few years are gone - until there is genuine reason to fear we won't go up this year, how about we let folk support the team. 

Almost as bad as folk who constantly complain about the Facebook group yet seem to spend an awful lot of their time reading the Facebook group... 

^^^^^^^^ COYB Facebook Moderator 

17 hours ago, MrDust said:

Our PPM under M&M was better than Raith's even with shitting the bed against Airdrie and Clyde. Raith did their bed shitting against bottom feeders in the league.

All very auntie had baws tho, but I still feel the last game of the season would have mattered in respect of league position as it was all too close to call.

This season is a scary prospect with 27 games, maybe even less. We need to win on Saturday and need to knock Cove down a peg or two and if we don't, I expect p&b servers to crash 

I seem to remember you being dismissive of PPM when it was pointed out Hartley achieved a much higher PPM than Houston did...

3 hours ago, Gaz said:

I seem to remember you being dismissive of PPM when it was pointed out Hartley achieved a much higher PPM than Houston did...

With the squad Hartly had assembled his PPM would have dropped like a stone regardless of how he did the season before or is now doing with cove.  I get its an indicator over all, but PPM season by season is a much better way to show actual progress or decline or comparison between managers within a season.

35 minutes ago, MetalWolf said:

With the squad Hartly had assembled his PPM would have dropped like a stone regardless of how he did the season before or is now doing with cove.  I get its an indicator over all, but PPM season by season is a much better way to show actual progress or decline or comparison between managers within a season.

Oh, I absolutely agree. I just found it funny that yon MrDust was using PPM to compare teams when it had previously been pointed out that Hartley achieved a much-improved PPM than Houston when he first came in, even with the same squad, and that that improvement increased even further when Hartley was able to bring in his own players, and yon Dusty was quite dismissive of that.

I don't think we can take away from that shambles of a start to the 2018/2019 season (and again I don't think any of us know the full story behind that) but Hartley didn't put a foot wrong between succeeding Houston and the start of that season.

Edited by Gaz

RE The Cup game - taken from Premier Sports schedule...pretty much confirms no Falkirk TV, not sure if this is better financially or not?

image.thumb.png.de1b4a871361beacce56ddf927823ba9.png

Well either we have been renamed to TBC FC or Premier Sports don’t give a f**k about who Rangers are playing or the standard of opposition, they will just show Rangers anyway.
Opposition doesn’t matter.