The Falkirk FC Thread

8 hours ago, gav-ffc said:

Relying on the loan market this window was a non-starter with premiership clubs having 9 spaces on the bench to fill. 

There's a difference between relying on and utilising. Partick have managed to make 5 loans from the Premiership so there were players there. I'm not negating that generally you'll have to pay some part of the players wages but if you're getting a better quality of player I see no issue. Bruce Anderson & Cammy Smith to Ayr, Kai Kennedy to Inverness, Josh Mcpake to Morton.

26 minutes ago, Hank von Hell said:

I still can't get my head round this. 

The clubs can't afford it so they don't have to test?  Who made that rule up?

But Premiership clubs are richer so more important and will get charged if they don't follow protocols.

Probably all to do with the TV deals and what games are shown on Sky doesn't look good if you have players tested positive and the televised match is not shown due to a player/players breaking protocol not to mention how that reflects on the club with some clubs/players breaking the rules agreed at the start of the campaign with the Scottish Government to allow the season to kick off.

1 hour ago, FFC 1876 said:

There's a difference between relying on and utilising. Partick have managed to make 5 loans from the Premiership so there were players there. I'm not negating that generally you'll have to pay some part of the players wages but if you're getting a better quality of player I see no issue. Bruce Anderson & Cammy Smith to Ayr, Kai Kennedy to Inverness, Josh Mcpake to Morton.

Exactly there are definitely loan players available we just seen to choose not to utilise that market very much compared to the other sides in this division which is disappointing really.

2 hours ago, FFC 1876 said:

The reality of being in league 1 is we are bottom of the food chain for those loans and clubs would rather send them to the championship than league 1.

2 hours ago, FFC 1876 said:

I'm not going to go and count but I'm assuming that you're including Spittal in that? He wouldn't have been signed if Glass hadn't been injured so you can knock that one off the total maybe?

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Exactly there are definitely loan players available we just seen to choose not to utilise that market very much compared to the other sides in this division which is disappointing really.

We've loaned two so we have obviously used the market. The decision though, it seems, has been made to sign our own rather than have too many loans so I don't see anything wrong with that. For example, using the names above, would you rather we had signed McPake and Anderson on loan than Morrison and Keena on permanent deals? We've had far too many rebuilding jobs over the past few seasons so, personally, I would want to avoid losing good loan players (e.g. McManus) if that meant we were having to renew the squad again to any great extent.

Its a double edged sword though if whoever we brought in done well then the chances of a recall are quite high, as well the club get used as a shop window player gets noticed and sold in transfer window, where as we have signed a lot of our own young players with a point to prove if any of them shine then there is a chance of player moving on for a fee and Falkirk get the money for it

On 28/10/2020 at 22:31, Bantabairn said:

Tip of an Iceberg;

Dundee United: Club in talks with players over wage deferrals or cuts.

They've got previous for this as I recall, when they induced Jobby to leave us they enticed him with the highest managerial salary in Scotland at the time (Rangers and Celtic excluded) then 'offered' him a hefty wage cut the following season. Which he accepted. Then got fired the season after.

Not sure how they are now, but they did seem quite a cunty club at the time

Edited by Senator Frimpton

3 minutes ago, Senator Frimpton said:

They've got previous for this as I recall, when they induced Jobby to leave us they enticed him with the highest managerial salary in Scotland at the time (Rangers and Celtic excluded) then 'offered' him a hefty wage cut the following season. Which he accepted. Then got fired the season after.

Did they not do something like that with either Houston or Levein as well ?

1 minute ago, Senator Frimpton said:

I dont know mate, but Im going to say yes they definitely did

Must be a Dundee thing given their neighbours antics as well with signing players then asking the rest of the squad to take a cut in wages.

13 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

Who plays RWB then?

Mercer obviously,he hasn't particularly looked an upgrade on last season but it's only 4 games in and none of our back 4 have looked up to it.

5 hours ago, FFC 1876 said:

The players Patrick have got aren't exactly world beaters, 20yr olds from Rangers, two players who have done well in the 4th tier and now a nomad in Spittal. I'd guess the majority of these will have all or a fair bit of their wages covered by Patrick. Glass came as a bit of a coup but only performed in the bottom tier. I don't think any of the partick loans come close to the McManus loan as in tried and tested at this level and the majority of their loans are there to pad out the squad and a gamble if they work.

We tend to have a history of loaning shit from clubs in Scotland, top of the head our last decent Scottish loan was probably Mark Millar afore McManus last season. I bet you McManus was our highest paid player last season or not our player as it was.

We should be doing better but the cost of loans now and the chance a 19/20yr old working can be seen as a gamble not worth taking. 

20 minutes ago, Senator Frimpton said:

X years throwing money at the championship was always gonna bite them but in true Dundee fashion they recently added McNulty with a reported £5000 a week loan cost.

X years throwing money at the championship was always gonna bite them but in true Dundee fashion they recently added McNulty with a reported £5000 a week loan cost.

Quoted wrong bit. Rudden and Burgoyne were both good loans. DKD probably just about sneaks into a good loan, certainly on paper. Shayne Lavery absolutely should have been a good loan too. All in a catastrophic season though.... before that, Jakubiak and Nelson were both loans and showed up well, as did Danny Rogers.

ETA I see that you said Scottish loans though.... That certainly thins the herd a bit.

Great opportunity for big Connor to step up and get his Falkirk career off and running. Sure he'll be highly motivated to do just that.
Need to make sure the defenders know to shell the ball high and long... Dont want that aerial dominance being wasted.

Best regards

Joe M

3 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

I'm not going to go and count but I'm assuming that you're including Spittal in that? He wouldn't have been signed if Glass hadn't been injured so you can knock that one off the total maybe?

We've loaned two so we have obviously used the market. The decision though, it seems, has been made to sign our own rather than have too many loans so I don't see anything wrong with that. For example, using the names above, would you rather we had signed McPake and Anderson on loan than Morrison and Keena on permanent deals? We've had far too many rebuilding jobs over the past few seasons so, personally, I would want to avoid losing good loan players (e.g. McManus) if that meant we were having to renew the squad again to any great extent.

Other clubs in this league seem to use the loan market far better than we do. Look at Raith last season for instance with gullen , Anderson and maclean whilst we ended up with dross like Macmillan and da vita.  If it wasn't for McManus it would've been a right off loan wise.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

1 hour ago, MrDust said:

Mercer obviously,he hasn't particularly looked an upgrade on last season but it's only 4 games in and none of our back 4 have looked up to it.

The players Patrick have got aren't exactly world beaters, 20yr olds from Rangers, two players who have done well in the 4th tier and now a nomad in Spittal. I'd guess the majority of these will have all or a fair bit of their wages covered by Patrick. Glass came as a bit of a coup but only performed in the bottom tier. I don't think any of the partick loans come close to the McManus loan as in tried and tested at this level and the majority of their loans are there to pad out the squad and a gamble if they work.

We tend to have a history of loaning shit from clubs in Scotland, top of the head our last decent Scottish loan was probably Mark Millar afore McManus last season. I bet you McManus was our highest paid player last season or not our player as it was.

We should be doing better but the cost of loans now and the chance a 19/20yr old working can be seen as a gamble not worth taking. 

Yeah and now wanting the government to bail them out.

35 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Other clubs in this league seem to use the loan market far better than we do. Look at Raith last season for instance with gullen , Anderson and maclean whilst we ended up with dross like Macmillan and da vita.  If it wasn't for McManus it would've been a right off loan wise.

Doesn't mean we should be loaning players in instead of signing them now though.

Incidentally, Gullan scored 9 in the league last season while Mclean scored 2. McManus scored 19 and McMillan scored 4, so I can't see how you think Raith got better value for their loans?