The Falkirk FC Thread

57 minutes ago, Bairney The Dinosaur said:

It does feel like we need Connolly back in to give a bit of balance to the side. Surprised we haven't seen Laverty on yet as I was sure he was a left winger?

I personally don't think Laverty will challenge for a first team slot unless he has improved a hell of a lot whilst being a long term injury of which he will probably be wary of putting himself about.

With the players brought in its probably a surprise to find Alston so poor in fitness terms, but questions must be asked why we’ve spent a fair wage on a guy who looks like he needs a quarter of a season to get up to scratch. 
Connolly for me is a big miss, often found  creating width on the left which pulls the opposing team allowing space for our front players. We’ve been unlucky with Keena, but guess most clubs surfer similar injuries to key players. 
All things considered I would have thought we’d bring in a CB, the managers have alluded to this, so either players are not prepared to drop into this league or we ain’t paying the going rate ?
Like many posts, Leitch, & Telfer signing I’m surprised with as barely used and for me very ordinary at best. 
My main concern is that teams have already found us out, close Morrison and sit high against our midfield, and quick through/over the top ball, and we look desperate.
We’ve time to correct the wrongs but next three games are critical, we simply cannot fall behind.

You better watch what you say about Alston. I got slaughtered for it 4/5 weeks ago.

3 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

You better watch what you say about Alston. I got slaughtered for it 4/5 weeks ago.

I was a big Alston fan the first time around. I haven't really followed him much since he left us.

I am wondering if some fans are expecting the same Blair that left us, hence some early disappointment , I'd guess he isn't or he would not be a free transfer to Div 3.  

There's no doubt in my mind he will improve as the season goes on and hopefully should still be a stand out in this league but it's going to take about a dozen games & of course he needs to stay injury free.  

So much change, so many new directions, but it all feels like it’s round and round with us ending back in the same place with the same issues.

I keep think every few weeks that we’ve bottomed out, and the only way is up, then things look a wee bit darker, and while we might not go any lower, the “going up” bit feels like it’s still over the horizon.

In a 27 game season, it’s a wee bit scary to consider it might take Alston another dozen games to meaningfully contribute. Looks like we are headed for more “listen, we will be there or thereabouts” chat.

I personally don't think Laverty will challenge for a first team slot unless he has improved a hell of a lot whilst being a long term injury of which he will probably be wary of putting himself about.

His footballing career will be over if he doesn’t make some sort of impression this season, so I’d expect him to be putting himself about

I was a big Alston fan the first time around. I haven't really followed him much since he left us.
I am wondering if some fans are expecting the same Blair that left us, hence some early disappointment , I'd guess he isn't or he would not be a free transfer to Div 3.  
There's no doubt in my mind he will improve as the season goes on and hopefully should still be a stand out in this league but it's going to take about a dozen games & of course he needs to stay injury free.  

At no time have I questioned his ability merely been concerned how many games he plays now

At no time have I questioned his ability merely been concerned how many games he plays now
It's a catch 22 with no reserve football now. Can't get match fit without playing first team football and you don't want to be starting someone who isn't match fit.

Can't deny he's not been great, just got to hope that he gets up to speed sooner than later as when fit he should be our top player.

Alston hadn't played a game since the 7th of march. That's 7 months and then missed preseason due to a knock.  It's no surprise therefor that he's not as sharp or match fit as he needs to be. Any player would struggle in those circumstances. Bit of patience required. 

2 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Alston hadn't played a game since the 7th of march. That's 7 months and then missed preseason due to a knock.  It's no surprise therefor that he's not as sharp or match fit as he needs to be. Any player would struggle in those circumstances. Bit of patience required. 

To extend on this post if Alston had swaggered on the pitch and been MOTM we'd be basically at the point of why bother with pre season.

Alston is proof of why teams do this.

We don’t have a heap of time to get him up to pace

Funny  how things can take a turn.  Alston's first game back when he hit the underside of the bar from far out.  If that had went in, we'd all be singing his praises still.  But his poor game on Saturday where he could only manage three of four aimless punts in the general direction of the north stand and we are back to where we started.  As my American partner says "things can turn on a dime".

Edited by Long Suffering Bairn

I think our management team are still trying to get up to speed aswell., They both still sound like they have just stepped into the job. I'd question their ability to change tactics during a match, because it's not apparent no matter our formation, players, or opposition. We got away with it at Montrose but had it not been for Miller using his experience to get us a pen I couldn't see us scoring a second. 

Edited by ebobsboy

I think our management team are still trying to get up to speed aswell., They both still sound like they have just stepped into the job. I'd question their ability to change tactics during a match, because it's not apparent no matter our formation, players, or opposition. We got away with it at Montrose but had it not been for Miller using his experience to get us a pen I couldn't see us scoring a second. 

I don’t imagine you see the irony in this post?....