The Falkirk FC Thread

No wonder fans of other clubs harp on about “Falkirk Meltdown” when so many on here are so embarrassingly negative after a poor result.
Yes, we have shortcomings, and yes it’s mainly the defence. However after all the comments the one part of our defence that let us down yesterday was the one element that no one was complaining about. I.e. our keeper.
The reality is that he cost us 2 points through sheer stupidity. Had that not happened we would most probably be sitting top with six points with only grumbles that we could have played better, which would be fair.
The two points are gone through something only one player could have controlled. Calling for the management teams’ head and comments about poor signings have only come to the fore as a consequence of a bit of stupidity.
Can we get a grip please and give the team a chance?
It’s still early in the campaign and we will only know where we are after the games against Cove and Thistle...

17 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

No wonder fans of other clubs harp on about “Falkirk Meltdown” when so many on here are so embarrassingly negative after a poor result.
Yes, we have shortcomings, and yes it’s mainly the defence. However after all the comments the one part of our defence that let us down yesterday was the one element that no one was complaining about. I.e. our keeper.
The reality is that he cost us 2 points through sheer stupidity. Had that not happened we would most probably be sitting top with six points with only grumbles that we could have played better, which would be fair.
The two points are gone through something only one player could have controlled. Calling for the management teams’ head and comments about poor signings have only come to the fore as a consequence of a bit of stupidity.
It’s still early in the campaign and we will only know where we are after the games against Cove and Thistle...

I agree, sort of.

There are a lot of questions that need answering, the biggest for me being why there are so many injuries and players not up to full fitness? Something's not right there.

Whilst we were really shite for about 80% of the match yesterday, we were in control of it and I have no doubt that we would have won if not for Robbie's stupidity,* so I think you're right in saying that there's a lot of reactionary stuff going on here; I'm sure there would have been grumbles about us not blowing Forfar away but there wouldn't have been as much negativity.

We'll get a chance next week to see if PJ's up to it although I would move Miller back in place of Durnan and play Alston an Gomis in the middle. That would mean Todd, Leitch or maybe even Laverty or Deveney on the left, but a gamble worth taking I think.

* I've got to say that I have some sympathy for Mutch (not very much) as, at the time, I thought he had properly belted the guy, but it was no more than a push on the neck. The foot in the face by the attacker was worse but not picked up by the officials and I don't think it even entered Robbie's head that there would be any retribution. Doesn't excuse it though. 

Ive just watched the Mutch ‘incident’ and whilst technically it’s a sending off, a bit of common sense from the referee would have ruled it yellow and a penalty at worst.

Arguably he could have ignored the whole thing and got on with the game or just spoken to the two players.

What happened to the idea of not double penalising clubs for paltry incidents like this?...

11 hours ago, Hank von Hell said:

Funny I was just thinking the same thing , when did Falkirk actually last play well. 

Remember the times we used to play swashbuckling attacking football blowing teams away - we had players like Stainrod, Crunchie, Latapy , McWilliams, Cadette ,Stokes, Gow, Farid, Taylor, Riera,.

Look at us know, it's tragic.  

ll players that got your heart racing when they got the ball. 

35 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

We stuck 9 past that outfit in our two home games last season. A decent side would've been out of sight before the mutch incident. The fact is we're seeing the same issues again as we saw last season and nowt has changed .

27 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

We stuck 9 past that outfit in our two home games last season. A decent side would've been out of sight before the mutch incident. The fact is we're seeing the same issues again as we saw last season and nowt has changed .

We also had McManus digging us out a hole most weeks. And to a lesser extent Longridge occasionally being on his game and creating. There's nothing in that midfield and it won't be long before teams start to double up on Morrison. Can only hope Connolly makes a difference and Alston gets up to speed. But the areas that needed addressed in summer haven't been and that's quite concerning. 

Yesterday’s team vs the team that started our 2nd fixture last year (6-0 at home to Dumbarton). 10 changes in personnel, are we any better 🤷🏼‍♂️.

What I would say is that having Connolly playing wide, a fit Alston playing through the middle and Keena upfront certainly improves us massively. My concern is that we could be a third of the way through the season before that happens. 3293F88D-DD09-4FE9-B5BF-E54C5524FF16.thumb.png.ed58544d1ce942a87eb74ab6d546c65d.png

Yesterday’s team vs the team that started our 2nd fixture last year (6-0 at home to Dumbarton). 10 changes in personnel, are we any better 🤷🏼‍♂️.
What I would say is that having Connolly playing wide, a fit Alston playing through the middle and Keena upfront certainly improves us massively. My concern is that we could be a third of the way through the season before that happens. 3293F88D-DD09-4FE9-B5BF-E54C5524FF16.thumb.png.ed58544d1ce942a87eb74ab6d546c65d.png

If you compare everyone of that midfield and up front, with the exception that McManus is better than Francis, it’s a hands down improvement. Keena may be as good as McManus.
Defensively we are pretty similar standard...

Did you was the 20 seconds before the sending off? We were like the Keystone Cops. I have said all along the defence was not good enough. Yesterday did nothing to change my mind.

6 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

If you compare everyone of that midfield and up front, with the exception that McManus is better than Francis, it’s a hands down improvement. Keena may be as good as McManus.
Defensively we are pretty similar standard...

I don’t disagree but the problem just now is that Keena isn’t fit, neither is Alston and Miller & Gomis as a midfield pairing lack creativity. As I said, with a fit Alston playing centrally and Keena up front I think we are a better side but when are we gona see that?

I don’t disagree but the problem just now is that Keena isn’t fit, neither is Alston and Miller & Gomis as a midfield pairing lack creativity. As I said, with a fit Alston playing centrally and Keena up front I think we are a better side but when are we gona see that?

Yep. I think fitness is the issue. Still think they are the right quality of signing though.
Hopefully better to come when these issues disappear.....

2 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Even when everyone is fit our central defence is murder and our centre mid will lack young legs. Not sure how that's going to change without getting a couple of players in on loan asap.

Give Laverty and Sneddon a go ! They are members of a small squad and must be considered as a possible solution.

How many times have we seen a fringe player thrown in due to circumstances and turn out to be gems.

Sneddon left back and put Dixon beside Durnan you never know it just might click.

Laverty with the pace and energy  in the middle  will get a bit of urgency that is sadly lacking in midfield.

8 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Give Laverty and Sneddon a go ! They are members of a small squad and must be considered as a possible solution.

How many times have we seen a fringe player thrown in due to circumstances and turn out to be gems.

Sneddon left back and put Dixon beside Durnan you never know it just might click.

Laverty with the pace and energy  in the middle  will get a bit of urgency that is sadly lacking in midfield.

Have you ever seen Laverty play?

Pace, energy. Where does that come from?

4 hours ago, roman_bairn said:

Could you point out the posts from Falkirk fans calling for the management team's head please? Must have missed them.