The Falkirk FC Thread

41 minutes ago, AGPar said:

Correct. The very first game of the millennium. Christie was a loose cannon, and Den Bieman a bit of a lower league journeyman, but for the next four months they were a seriously good partnership and Falkirk barely lost a game. A very, very underrated season, and team, who would easily hold their own in the current dross masquerading as today's Premier League.

I have two main memories of Christie; squabbling with Steven Craig over who was taking a penalty at Ross County, which he took (and may have missed , canny mind?) and sauntering round the track at, I think, St Johnstone, to climb in to the stand beside the fans. 

He was an unusual character I think.

54 minutes ago, Sgt Bilko said:

Now that kickoff is upon us, I'm starting to get the fear. Wouldn't be right if we don't struggle tomorrow 

We will. I'm more worried that McCracken has dementia and totally forgot to mention Keena in his interview. We won't keep a clean sheet so draw as  without Keena can't see us scoring more than 1 goal, and we might just get away with Durnan and Hall only looking like the donkeys they are once and gifting a goal.

12 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

IN-DEPTH INTERVIEW: BRIAN 'BOMBER' BROWN – Falkirk Football Club

13 - 264 Appearances, 1977-1984.

With a mighty 30 goals to his name from central defence, Brian "Bomber" Brown was a meaty character and, when partnered with Alan Mackin, I wouldn't have fancied playing up front against Falkirk back then. Part of the team that dragged us out the 3rd tier and stablilised in the 2nd tier in the early 80's.

I was at a Springsteen gig 4 years ago at a winery in Hunter Valley, NSW. 

Came back from a long trek to the bog and the wife was talking to this bloke , she told me he was from Falkirk as well - dunno how she started chatting to him.

I recognized him right away  - Bomber Brown. There was about 40,000 there that day and we randomly bumped into Bomber. He's got loads of great stories and really should be on that Walking Down Hope Street podcast. 

I'm going to be a bit more optimistic about the game, a Falkirk win and the first in 13 years.

Sure our central back 2 (whatever the combination) will be rank rotten but going forward, we look faster and more fluid.

We might concede but 3-1 or 3-0 to us.

Edited by Albertobotswana

43 minutes ago, Bantabairn said:

A very accurate statement. This is not a dig but it’s a wake up call to all of us on how far we’ve fallen, what I’d give for a Yogi or Baptie in our team today. As posted we should be out the blocks from first whistle and all over this team, sadly I can’t even remember the last time we went for a team.....

We live in hope and hopefully a full bloodied performance and a first league opening win in 13 years.

See this playing yourself into the game over the first 20 minutes is a load of shite.

Nothing better than than a high temp start. Pen them back from the kick off and the only time in the first 10 minutes they get the ball over the 1/2 way line is with a clearance. Corners, shots on target, desperate tackles hopefully get  1 -2 goals job done.

The late great Jock Stein nailed it when he was asked about defensive problems and this is what he said. We are a superb defensive team ! ( dumbfounded the interviewer was about to ask the obvious when he said ) Having possession in the opposition half is the ultimate defensive formation.

3 hours ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

See this playing yourself into the game over the first 20 minutes is a load of shite.

Nothing better than than a high temp start. Pen them back from the kick off and the only time in the first 10 minutes they get the ball over the 1/2 way line is with a clearance. Corners, shots on target, desperate tackles hopefully get  1 -2 goals job done.

The late great Jock Stein nailed it when he was asked about defensive problems and this is what he said. We are a superb defensive team ! ( dumbfounded the interviewer was about to ask the obvious when he said ) Having possession in the opposition half is the ultimate defensive formation.

Totally agree. Its the first thing I remember whenever we had an away game at Tynecastle, they were always right at us from the start.  High tempo, get the crowd going, pin us in... It sometimes felt we were playing damage limitation from kick off (also made wins there all the sweeter, but there weren't too many of them).  Feck this slow start, tippy tappy pish we've been playing for far too many years... lets the opposition settle in, keep their shape, etc etc.  A statement of intent would be nice today. 

36 minutes ago, Dennistoun Bairn said:

Totally agree. Its the first thing I remember whenever we had an away game at Tynecastle, they were always right at us from the start.  High tempo, get the crowd going, pin us in... It sometimes felt we were playing damage limitation from kick off (also made wins there all the sweeter, but there weren't too many of them).  Feck this slow start, tippy tappy pish we've been playing for far too many years... lets the opposition settle in, keep their shape, etc etc.  A statement of intent would be nice today. 

We used to do that at brockville . Totts long punt from kick off and straight away we were on top of them.