The Falkirk FC Thread

4 hours ago, Ecosse83 said:

Have I just read someone saying Morrison as a right wing back? This forum is bonkers at times 🤣

Why can't he be if he is fit enough.

If you watch Jack Harrison at Leeds he can cover the whole of the left side on his own, as can Alioski when he plays. It allows you to overload other parts of the pitch with using high press or stopping the balls getting into your penalty area at the other end. Of course this can be switched to the other "wing".  

The days of rigid positions are going in the modern game with pace & versatility key.

Happy Friday everyone.

4 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Sometimes players need a guy at the back giving them a kick up the arse and making sure the whole back 4 are doing their job. Look how much better Ivo den bieman made Kevin Christie look when he played at the back beside them and Christie was no 18 year old youngster either.

Are we seriously aspiring to the heights of Kevin Christie?

9 hours ago, Hank von Hell said:

Why can't he be if he is fit enough.

If you watch Jack Harrison at Leeds he can cover the whole of the left side on his own, as can Alioski when he plays. It allows you to overload other parts of the pitch with using high press or stopping the balls getting into your penalty area at the other end. Of course this can be switched to the other "wing".  

The days of rigid positions are going in the modern game with pace & versatility key.

Happy Friday everyone.

Luckily everyone else here and M&M knows Morrison is never going go play right wing back for us so thank god for that. What happens when Connolly's back fit are we playing him left wing back?

9 hours ago, Hank von Hell said:

He's turning Scotland into Kilmarnock, it can be effective but my God it's terrible to watch. I think Scotland have good enough players not to be playing in this backs to the wall style.  

I think the last 22 years without qualifying for a tournament says otherwise.

43 minutes ago, Bantabairn said:

Completely agree, let’s face it we don’t have the abundance of premium class players afforded to most nations, and apart from our left side looking shakey, thought Clarke got the formation spot on. Thought our back three done really well, and what another really good performance from our CB.

Surely it was a back eight after 6 mins?

Anyway.....

McBurnie, Fraser, Robertson, McTominay, Cooper, Armstrong , Tierney, McGinn, Fleck , Burke   - when was the last time we had so many players regularly playing in the English top league - arguable the best in the world. I bet Northern Ireland or even better countries would kill for that.

Clarke is too negative, the team deserve better IMO. 

1 hour ago, Hank von Hell said:

Anyway.....

McBurnie, Fraser, Robertson, McTominay, Cooper, Armstrong , Tierney, McGinn, Fleck , Burke   - when was the last time we had so many players regularly playing in the English top league - arguable the best in the world. I bet Northern Ireland or even better countries would kill for that.

I hope to god you're not including Oli Burke in your list of very good Scottish players as he's absolute dug shite. Fleck's brilliant technically but way too immobile to play in the middle of the park internationally. McBurnie's looked good but is still yet to score for us. The majority of our top players play in defence which is why we have to play defensively. Mcginn, Robertson and Tierney are our elite players, two of which play in the exact same position. The rest are fairly average players and so had we went toe to toe with that Czech Republic team last night we would have been ripped a new one. Nobody likes to watch the football we play but we have to play like that in order to get us results, so if it gets us to a major tournament in my lifetime i'm all for mounting a Steve Clarke statue outside Hampden.

1 hour ago, Hank von Hell said:

Anyway.....

Problem with reeling off names of players playing in the prem is that a lot of them are very average or even worse. 

Mcburnie, Fleck, Cooper, Burke are very very limited. Mctominay is okay but not at all inspiring. Tierney and Robertson play the same position. Fraser is bang average but played very well yesterday. McGinn is class. 

So maybe a few real “quality” players in our team and a lot of very average players. Plus no real stand out Centre back

9 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

I hope to god you're not including Oli Burke in your list of very good Scottish players as he's absolute dug shite. Fleck's brilliant technically but way too immobile to play in the middle of the park internationally. McBurnie's looked good but is still yet to score for us. The majority of our top players play in defence which is why we have to play defensively. Mcginn, Robertson and Tierney are our elite players, two of which play in the exact same position. The rest are fairly average players and so had we went toe to toe with that Czech Republic team last night we would have been ripped a new one. Nobody likes to watch the football we play but we have to play like that in order to get us results, so if it gets us to a major tournament in my lifetime i'm all for mounting a Steve Clarke statue outside Hampden.

Sorry I should have realized you know more about football than Chris Wilder, last season's (& the one before) manager of the year. Why oh why he spent multi millions on someone who is "absolute dug shite" I will never know, he really should have checked with you first.   

Must say I watched him against Leeds Utd this season and he looked every dangerous but again I bow to your greater knowledge.

12 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

Problem with reeling off names of players playing in the prem is that a lot of them are very average or even worse. 

Mcburnie, Fleck, Cooper, Burke are very very limited. Mctominay is okay but not at all inspiring. Tierney and Robertson play the same position. Fraser is bang average but played very well yesterday. McGinn is class. 

So maybe a few real “quality” players in our team and a lot of very average players. Plus no real stand out Centre back

My god you set an extremely high bar...should you not be on a Bayern Munich forum ??

I shudder to think what you make of the current Falkirk squad.

4 minutes ago, Hank von Hell said:

My god you set an extremely high bar...should you not be on a Bayern Munich forum ??

I shudder to think what you make of the current Falkirk squad.

Very disingenuous. We’re not comparing Scotland and Falkirk.

Im not sure stating Mcburnie isn’t a very good player at international level is setting a bar extremely high but okay.

Saying Wilder knows more about football than us and he rates Burke is just appealing to authority. Not a valid way to prove your point

12 hours ago, Hank von Hell said:

He's turning Scotland into Kilmarnock, it can be effective but my God it's terrible to watch. I think Scotland have good enough players not to be playing in this backs to the wall style.  

Yes I agree his teams are brutal to watch and his style of football is from the dark days but he’s got Scotland on our longest unbeaten run since the 80’s (which is where Clarke’s long ball tactics are from) so he’s getting something right.

42 minutes ago, Hank von Hell said:

Sorry I should have realized you know more about football than Chris Wilder, last season's (& the one before) manager of the year. Why oh why he spent multi millions on someone who is "absolute dug shite" I will never know, he really should have checked with you first.   

Must say I watched him against Leeds Utd this season and he looked every dangerous but again I bow to your greater knowledge.

Everybody knows the reason Oli Burke gets gig after gig is due to the fact he's big and rapid. Every single manager thinks they can turn him into a better footballer technically and then will be able to reap the rewards but every single one fails. Just look at those stats.

40160D1E-0109-4C36-9351-F175C0DA9D0A.thumb.png.a918cf52e7b7c8f27ddff0d1ffb108b6.png

Edited by FFC 1876

Oliver Burke is an absolute donkey.

McTominay has grown really well into the RCB role alongside Gallagher. And having seen some of the lovely counter attacking play we've done in the last 3 matches, anyone who says we're a long ball team has not been watching.

9 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Oliver Burke is an absolute donkey.

McTominay has grown really well into the RCB role alongside Gallagher. And having seen some of the lovely counter attacking play we've done in the last 3 matches, anyone who says we're a long ball team has not been watching.

Tierney plays in a back three at Arsenal so is surely a logical choice for the LCB role.

Agree with you that Scotland are becoming a decent counter attacking side, looked dangerous every time we broke forward last night.

Still slightly bewildered that Dykes is actually looking like an international footballer right enough!

15 hours ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

He came on as a sub in every friendly and did well IMO. He was aggressive (booked against the Shire), keen to get forward and I don't think made any mistakes which cost us a goal. 

I've no idea how he would fare as a starter in the league but he definitely has promise. I certainly wouldn't be averse to see him getting more game time. 

Looked to me though that he was playing more a left midfield role than left back in those games.

12 hours ago, JulioBairn said:

Are we seriously aspiring to the heights of Kevin Christie?

I'd take him and den bieman as our centre half partnership tomorrow. Their defensive record was first class and may have got us promoted if it hadn't been for brockville. 10 clean sheets in 14 games.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

1 hour ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Yes I agree his teams are brutal to watch and his style of football is from the dark days but he’s got Scotland on our longest unbeaten run since the 80’s (which is where Clarke’s long ball tactics are from) so he’s getting something right.

Craig brown got us to a euros and a world cup with the same game plan. We simply didn't let in goals . Defensive record was incredible with us only letting in the very odd goal in qualifying campaigns.  Make the opposition play well to beat you. Too often in recent years we've made it far too easy for the opposition.