The Falkirk FC Thread

10 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

He tried playing out from the back twice and overran it both times, despite being caught out a few times before trying to do the same thing. We were lucky to get away with that.

We definitely need at least one CD in ASAP.

He is no footballing center back in the George Miller, George Gibson style ( gold standard ).  With Durnan it's got to be clear your lines or a safe pass to somebody else.

37 minutes ago, badgerthewitness said:

Last season, Gomis's issues were due to him having to cover a shaky defence and a non-existent attacking midfield. At least we appear to have solved one of these issues. All this "He fades after 50 minutes" chat is lazy nonsense, our equivalent of the old "The trouble with Arsenal..." cliche.

He does struggle though when games come thick and fast.  Mind at Raith last season he was knackered after 50 mins but didn't come off till far too late in the game and we were overrun second half having been 2 up. He's a quality player just a shame he's 36 and not 26.  And unfortunately you can't play him and miller together so that gives you a decision to make. With our defence Iooking shite I'd be tempted to look at 3 at the back. Wonder if miller could play sweeper behind the other two clowns.

45 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

He is no footballing center back in the George Miller, George Gibson style ( gold standard ).  With Durnan it's got to be clear your lines or a safe pass to somebody else.

Problem is they are both like that. We need a talker who can play a bit back there. Kind of Darren Barr type. You get the feeling that durnan despite his experience still needs talked through a game.

2 hours ago, fuzzydunlop said:

I'll take the result but wasnt pretty.

Clyde's tactics, which were spot on, seemed to be have two of their players round ours every time we got the ball, putting pressure on.   In most cases we played the easy pass and it either got knocked about or we lost possesion.  Obviously we're not good at spraying the ball about but I did think that if we could just get into a bit of space we couldve exploited that tactic more.

I dont have a lot of faith in the centre backs. We need someone commanding back there and having two centre backs who don't seem to want to take control is worrying and I fear Zak Rudden will rip them a new one.  A backobone of any good side is wehn you have faith in a ball coming into the box that your central defender will deal with it, but everytime that happened last night I had the fear...which doesnt bode well.

Initially with Francis I ws a bit wary but as the game progressed he looks promising. Great to see a Falkirk player take on a defender, havent seen that much lately.

Also wouldve been amazing if Blairs free kick had gone in.   I agree with the Gomis posts, he was great.

Rudden has been murder for Patrick so far. I'd be more worried about the likes of Graham up top and cardle against our fullbacks as he seems to be playing no bad the now.

I'm starting to think that I'd rather have Miller beside Hall/Durnan and even a knackered Gomis in the team than Hall & Durnan together. If we play those two with Miller in midfield then we lose Gomis altogether, which would be a real shame as he's a cracking player.

I think he needs to concentrate on conserving energy as he definitely does start to run out of steam due to him trying to get involved in everything. It's not like he's completely fucked after an hour as some seem to be suggesting, but he does start to commit unnecessary fouls toward the end of the game.

10 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

I'm starting to think that I'd rather have Miller beside Hall/Durnan and even a knackered Gomis in the team than Hall & Durnan together. If we play those two with Miller in midfield then we lose Gomis altogether, which would be a real shame as he's a cracking player.

I think he needs to concentrate on conserving energy as he definitely does start to run out of steam due to him trying to get involved in everything. It's not like he's completely fucked after an hour as some seem to be suggesting, but he does start to commit unnecessary fouls toward the end of the game.

The managers should be saying to him just sit and break up play in front of the back 4. No need to try to cover every blade of grass. Can't be easy though when you've played like that all your career but at 36 he does need to conserve his energy more.

Agree re Gomis, played really well second half, up and down the park, great work for the pass into Dowds.  However his lunge in at the edge of the box  near the end could've been a nasty one, feet off the ground, so agree he needs to watch the fouls.   Maybe Miller at sweeper would solve the prob of both of them playing the same mid role, which we've all agreed doesn't work, and deal with our car crash centre defence.

Durnan was a disappointment last night, because after looking a lot better during the second half last season (yes, his bar was set pretty low), and naively thinking maybe he might be ok - at a push - this season, he was back to his most unconvincing.  Really, really need to break up that pairing. Permanently. 

Keena & Francis looked quite bright, and clearly "Ball to Morrison" is our plan A, Plan B, and Plan C.  He reminded me of Higginbotham when he played with us, & I mean that in a good way. 

Overall some positives, but some real worries too.  Keeping Alston fit looks a big key to our fortunes this time out.  

Edited by Dennistoun Bairn

21 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Other option we have in the squad is Dixon as one of the center backs. That option does not have the confidence of the support but it may be the only option M&M have. Is there a case for playing a sweeper in the Bryan Purdie mould behind Durnan or Hall ? don't no but doing nothing is not an option.

Agree about Gomis he paced himself and was more effective for it.

9 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Other option we have in the squad is Dixon as one of the center backs. That option does not have the confidence of the support but it may be the only option M&M have. Is there a case for playing a sweeper in the Bryan Purdie mould behind Durnan or Hall ? don't no but doing nothing is not an option.

Agree about Gomis he paced himself and was more effective for it.

I was suggesting miller play that role. 

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I was suggesting miller play that role. 

Missed that comment thanks for pointing it out. It could well catch a lot of teams out with that set up. Lot of players will never have played against that set up.

Done right it can be an effective Cloughs Nottingham Forest / Derby County being good examples and they were far from defensive teams.

However we set up, I think we can all agree that a Durnan Hall pairing isn’t good enough for L1, and probably not good enough for L2 either.

The management duo must know it too, and if they don’t get it sorted, we won’t win this league, and a 13th (or is it 14th?) consecutive season of failing to win the opening game is an absolute stick on.

There’s no doubt that we have decent quality elsewhere, but Durnan and Hall are a train wreck that every other club will be eager to exploit.

3 hours ago, Dennistoun Bairn said:

Agree re Gomis, played really well second half, up and down the park, great work for the pass into Dowds.  However his lunge in at the edge of the box  near the end could've been a nasty one, feet off the ground, so agree he needs to watch the fouls.   Maybe Miller at sweeper would solve the prob of both of them playing the same mid role, which we've all agreed doesn't work, and deal with our car crash centre defence.

Durnan was a disappointment last night, because after looking a lot better during the second half last season (yes, his bar was set pretty low), and naively thinking maybe he might be ok - at a push - this season, he was back to his most unconvincing.  Really, really need to break up that pairing. Permanently. 

Keena & Francis looked quite bright, and clearly "Ball to Morrison" is our plan A, Plan B, and Plan C.  He reminded me of Higginbotham when he played with us, & I mean that in a good way. 

Overall some positives, but some real worries too.  Keeping Alston fit looks a big key to our fortunes this time out.  

Problem with that is that I don't think Mercer's suited to a WB role, don't think he has the pace for it. Could play Morrison there I suppose?

Mutch

Hall, Miller, Durnan

Gomis

Morrison, Alston, Connolly/Todd/Leitch, Dixon

Keena, Dowds