The Falkirk FC Thread

8 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

The most significant difference between the UK and New Zealand is international travel and how many positive cases got into the country before lockdowns were triggered. The rest is just window dressing.

Perhaps locking down earlier may have been a better idea? And to call raising the issue of the huge number of individuals killed in care homes as window dressing I find incredibly callous to say the least.  The number of deaths in Scotland and the rest of the UK is simply unacceptable to me but if your happy with it then batter on.

It's a sad day when you get slagged off for not being affiliated to any political party. My neutral stance allows me to see things far clearer and go beyond any party loyalty which seems to cloud the judgements of a lot of individuals on here.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

8 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Perhaps locking down earlier may have been a better idea? And to call raising the issue of the huge number of individuals killed in care homes as window dressing I find incredibly callous to say the least. 

You can take it that way if you like. But if we're comparing countries and their different approaches and different outcomes, how many positive cases got into the country before lockdown measures were enacted will be by far and away the most important factor when you correlate with total deaths. If you were slow enough or unlucky enough to allow high numbers of positive cases into the country before lockdown, you're going to see high mortality. If you were fast or lucky enough not to, you're going to see relatively low mortality.

What you do afterwards is far less important. So comparing choices made in Scotland after the virus was allowed in with New Zealand is of very little value. If New Zealand had huge numbers of citizens flying in and out of areas with high levels of infection in January and February, they'd be in a very different situation.

Edited by Gordon EF

I logged on to find there had been a couple of pages of comments since this morning.  I thought we must have signed Kingsley after all.   It's all about Sturgeon and "wee Jimmy's".   Bloody hell folks.  I'm sure there are many Facebook groups you can vent your bile on.  Would be nice to get back to football.

Edited by Long Suffering Bairn
mistake

5 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

You can take it that way if you like. But if we're comparing countries and their different approaches and different outcomes, how many positive cases got into the country before lockdown measures were enacted will be by far and away the most important factor when you correlate with total deaths. If you were slow enough or unlucky enough to allow high numbers of positive cases into the country before lockdown, you're going to see high mortality. If you were fast or lucky enough not to, you're going to see relatively low mortality.

What you do afterwards is far less important. So comparing choices made in Scotland after the virus was allowed in with New Zealand is of very little value. If New Zealand had huge numbers of citizens flying in and out of areas with high levels of infection in January and February, they'd be in a very different situation.

You've hit the nail on the head there. Whilst the likes of New Zealand were locking down borders bojo and wee Jimmy were doing hee haw which has as you have pointed out created a far worse situation than in other countries.  I don't think care home deaths can be ignored either as we have by far the greatest percentage in the UK of deaths in that area as well as it being a vastly disproportionate percentage of total deaths.  The policy of moving patients from hospital to care homes either without testing at all or even when they tested positive has undoubtedly affected this.

1 minute ago, Long Suffering Bairn said:

I logged on to find there had been a couple of pages of comments since this morning.  I thought we must have signed Kingsley after all.   It's all about Sturgeon and "wee Jimmies".   Bloody hell folks.  I'm sure there are many Facebook groups you can vent your bile on.  Would be nice to get back to football.

We were discussing getting crowds back into football only for me to be tarred as a rangers supporter and bigot for deeming to call sturgeon wee Jimmy. It's gone downhill since then I'm afraid.

3 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

You've hit the nail on the head there. Whilst the likes of New Zealand were locking down borders bojo and wee Jimmy were doing hee haw which has as you have pointed out created a far worse situation than in other countries.  I don't think care home deaths can be ignored either as we have by far the greatest percentage in the UK of deaths in that area as well as it being a vastly disproportionate percentage of total deaths.  The policy of moving patients from hospital to care homes either without testing at all or even when they tested positive has undoubtedly affected this.

The care home issue, in hindsight, was definitely a bad decision and it needs to be looked into. The Scottish government simply didn't have the power to close borders or enforce a lockdown independent of Westminster though so whatever you think of how they've handled things within their power, that's just not a valid criticism of them.

1 minute ago, Gordon EF said:

The care home issue, in hindsight, was definitely a bad decision and it needs to be looked into. The Scottish government simply didn't have the power to close borders or enforce a lockdown independent of Westminster though so whatever you think of how they've handled things within their power, that's just not a valid criticism of them.

Id agree with you if she had been banging on bojo's door to shut borders for weeks at that point but that is simply not the case.  She only raised it at the same time he did.The care homes decision was indefensible and the fact that Freeman is still in post after that is quite incredible.

46 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Think there's a lot more people than the two of us that think some limited crowds should be allowed into the football.

I agree with you there. 

Community football is back, in that teams cans play against each other providing everything is done outdoors. However, parents aren't allowed to watch.  If you go down to the foundation pitch behind the stadium you'll see plenty of signs barring entry to spectators. 

22 kids can play a match at TFS. 

But their 22 mums  can't watch them, even if they're sitting 50 metres apart in the main stand with a capacity of 4,500. 

It's just a blanket ban on everything at all levels. 

1 minute ago, Senor Bairn said:

Can you stop referring to Johnson as Bojo making him out to be some sort of funny wee character.

The guy is a facist, racist, xenophobic murderer and deserves to rot away in a cell.

Even worse he’s a Tory.

Some very strong words there.

Can you explain each of them and how they apply?

Just now, Senor Bairn said:

What would you like me to explain?

Well, as I understand it, fascism is the same as totalitarianism where a country is run by a dictator and dissent is not allowed.

Examples could be Mussolini or Hitler.

I find it hard to compare Johnson with either of those or indeed the Conservative party as being a totalitarian regime.

I won’t go any further but you used the words, therefore it’s for you to explain.

10 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

I agree with you there. 

Community football is back, in that teams cans play against each other providing everything is done outdoors. However, parents aren't allowed to watch.  If you go down to the foundation pitch behind the stadium you'll see plenty of signs barring entry to spectators. 

22 kids can play a match at TFS. 

But their 22 mums  can't watch them, even if they're sitting 50 metres apart in the main stand with a capacity of 4,500. 

It's just a blanket ban on everything at all levels. 

There's just no reason behind half of the regulations other than treating certain areas of public life unfairly compared to others. You can sit in a pub all day but you can't stand in a field outside watching your son or daughter play football.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

Well, as I understand it, fascism is the same as totalitarianism where a country is run by a dictator and dissent is not allowed.
Examples could be Mussolini or Hitler.
I find it hard to compare Johnson with either of those or indeed the Conservative party as being a totalitarian regime.
I won’t go any further but you used the words, therefore it’s for you to explain.

Just the fascist bit then yeah? You not disagreeing with the rest of the post?

53 minutes ago, Long Suffering Bairn said:

I logged on to find there had been a couple of pages of comments since this morning.  I thought we must have signed Kingsley after all.   It's all about Sturgeon and "wee Jimmy's".   Bloody hell folks.  I'm sure there are many Facebook groups you can vent your bile on.  Would be nice to get back to football.

Totally agree. It was said by another poster on here last week, there is not another club thread which contains less chat about football or more about politics/Coronavirus. Been going on for months and it's the same three or four posters every single time. We're onto Mussolini now. Beyond brutal.

2 minutes ago, AGPar said:

Totally agree. It was said by another poster on here last week, there is not another club thread which contains less chat about football or more about politics/Coronavirus. Been going on for months and it's the same three or four posters every single time. We're onto Mussolini now. Beyond brutal.

All the worse considering, we haven't played a competitive fixture in 7 months and are due to play Dunfermline in a few days. Some of our fellow P&B Bairns need to have some serious words with themselves.

Dunfermline, folks. Think about it.