The Falkirk FC Thread

It's a kick a bout FFS. The result means absolutely nothing.  There's still a month to go till the real stuff starts and a number of pre season games planned plus the League cup. 

Last time we were having this debate about our shite preseason performances it was Hartley’s new boys and the same old comment re knicker wetter was rolled out.
Of course we should not be concerned by a single poor preseason result, but it’s equally silly to completely ignore our preseason performances if we continue to perform poorly.
So yes, agree, in isolation, we shouldn’t be overly concerned. But it should be noted if upcoming games are equally disappointing....

Devil's advocate - if there was anything to reflect on from the Shire game, and nowt else, it would only be that we seem to have played with two holding defensive mids.  Had really hoped we had finally booted this formation into the sea, and of no benefit to play Miller & Gomis alongside each other.   Otherwise, my knickers are crisp and dry. 

1 hour ago, Maverick_- said:

I think when you're a full time team playing against tinpot shite you should be capable of comfortably out performing them in any circumstances. If the players weren't up for the game that's actually more worrying given they haven't played for so long, would think they would be bursting for a game. Wouldn't normally shit the bed over a friendly result but even with 5 trialists and a new team at half time the Shire should not be beating us.

Calm down.

1 hour ago, FFC 1876 said:

The good news is that doesn't look like Sam Ramsbottom, more likely that Reece Willison. Also another Trialist pictured on the heralds website who also say we have 3 games lined up with championship teams before the season kicks off.

The bad news is we're full of knicker wetters on here. We were playing with Sammon upfront, two defensive centre midfielders in Miller & Gomis and in the second half we made 6 changes 5 of which were trialists who haven't played with the team yet. No Alston, No Keena, No Connolly, all of which will be in the starting 11. 

Whereas the Shire had their best 11 out probably playing out their skin as for them the game would have meant something especially with a few ex bairns in their team. Also not the shires first game back as they played Camelon at the weekend. 

10CDCF1E-5392-4BE1-8E96-5D90EC53D751.png

EB55959C-D766-4CB3-9310-501FB031C932.png

Far too much common sense for this place.

12 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Whereas the Shire had their best 11 out probably playing out their skin as for them the game would have meant something especially with a few ex bairns in their team. Also not the shires first game back as they played Camelon at the weekend. 

It was a Trialist that scored for the Shire! 

1 minute ago, FFC 1876 said:

This thread's reeking of main standers and I don't like it.

Made me lol. 

Anyway, given the restrictions on training and such, it would be of little surprise if the players were told not to be going hell for leather. We have a few weeks and presumably a few more of these games to ramp up. These guys will never have gone this long without proper training and football. Only a moron would send them out for their first friendly and make a big deal about actually winning it. 

1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

It's a kick a bout FFS. The result means absolutely nothing.  There's still a month to go till the real stuff starts and a number of pre season games planned plus the League cup. 

Ahh the real stuff. Been listening to this patter for the past few seasons now. Game meant f**k all, of course, I was just curious how we managed to get beat, and what merits giving guys a trial that can't beat absolute dross. I've never played a game of football that I thought f**k it no bothered if we lose, and that's amateur level. 

Subject is creating to much airtime now. It is what it is. Looking forward to seeing what our first 11 will be like together.

The reality is it means very little as they will be no doubt trying things out. However I did hear Nicky Low ran the show and I heard the performance was dreadful.

Whether it was a practice match or not we should be beating the Shire but it matters not.

This isnt the same as the Hartley season though is it.... Not remotely. Everyone in our squad is a known quantity. What happened with the Hartley one was a slow realisation that we had actually signed lots of people who really werent any good at football.

Aside from Sneddon, I dont think theres anyone there who we wont all have seen playing football.

7 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

This isnt the same as the Hartley season though is it.... Not remotely. Everyone in our squad is a known quantity. What happened with the Hartley one was a slow realisation that we had actually signed lots of people who really werent any good at football.

Aside from Sneddon, I dont think theres anyone there who we wont all have seen playing football.

Yeah exactly this, Hartley signed unknown quantities off the back of a shoddy scout without even giving them a trial to see what they were like. M&M signings this season have all been known quantities that they will have seen play or someone they trust will have seen. The fact we had 5 trialists playing is a good sign for me as M&M are clearly looking at these unknown players themselves to see if they are any good or not. Even with Sneddon they had him in on trial last season to have a proper look at him.

Edited by FFC 1876

2 hours ago, roman_bairn said:

Given this discussion re the lack of importance of these preseason fixtures, whether anyone thinks there’s a correlation with our attitude towards them and us failing to win an opening day fixture for about 10 years?....

We've had some excellent pre seasons too mind you and still never won our opening game. Houston's last season in charge for example.

18 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

We've had some excellent pre seasons too mind you and still never won our opening game. Houston's last season in charge for example.

Fantastic league Cup group as well, I was really excited for that season, loy and Austin up front, goals were going to be galore, even for the first wee bit against St Mirren opening day of the league. Then it all went to shit and has progressively got worse. Quite a bizarre turn of events to flip us around so quickly. 

40 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Anybody remember the starts to seasons in the early 70's League Cup games. Teams from all the leagues in the group so there were a few days out to stadiums you did not go to often new teams new players to watch. Was popular as I remember it with good crowds and good games as the top teams got competitive warm up games and the smaller teams the glory of a cup win. Think there were about 6 -7 games then the season started.