The Falkirk FC Thread

12 hours ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Billy Stevenson and Ally McRoberts were two of the better players we had at a pretty grim time.

Stevenson’s goal against the Fifers in 79 (or was it 78) was a thing of beauty and McRoberts got the goals against Montrose that got us out of the basement.

Was that the Stevenson goal were he ran from the penalty box at the car park end and put it in the pokey at the railway end ?

1 hour ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Actually agree with you.

Police violence has no place in any civilised society.

However, BLM is a very nasty organisation and needs to be watched carefully.

It supports anarchy and police defunding. No thanks.

the BLM movement has very just cause for protesting on the streets. I think that you have been brainwashed by DJT re: anarchy and being a "nasty" ( one of Trump's favourite words) organisation,etc.

The police in the U.S. would appear to be vastly overfunded, whenever there is an incident there seems to be dozens of cops hanging around doing not very much. Some cops there are earning $100k plus and there was one instance  recently of Ethan Newberg, A Baltimore PD officer whose basic salary is $107k, and when you added on benefits and overtime he was pulling in $260k!

And why do police departments need armoured cars and grenade launchers?

Defunding does not mean getting rid of the police, it means re-directing funds to other areas such as mental health care. How many times do we see some poor soul having a mental health issue and they get blasted away by cops who have no idea how to deal with the situation? Their first action is nearly always force rather than de-escalation.

https://www.marketplace.org/2020/06/12/police-departments-1033-military-equipment-weapons/

Edited by Bairn in Exile

1 hour ago, Hank von Hell said:

Just watched the lowlights of Ross Co v Sellic with the "crowd" allowed in.

Christ it's like A Weekend at Bernie's  with 300 Bernies in masks.

All these dummies 4 seats apart motionless and not allowed to stand or shout. Absolutely awful.

You just know when fans are allowed in it will just be an extension of this in Scotland.

The trial game in England with fans at least allowed them to take their masks off once in their seats.    

I'm pretty sure you don't have these types of restrictions inside pubs & restaurants in Scotland so why are football matches treated this way? I really don't know what they learned from this test event.  It was safe , well of course it would be.

I agree, it's awful, but I feel it's necessary unfortunately.

The restrictions in pubs & restaurants allow people to sit in the required groups with no masks when eating and drinking (obviously) but masks should be worn when moving around the establishment or going to the toilet.

Folk don't have to remove their masks while watching football so it makes sense asking them to keep them on. I don't know if they're not allowed to shout but it's likely that people will without even thinking so, again, masks will reduce the possibility of infection.

It's all very frustrating but it is what it is I'm afraid.

1 hour ago, Bantabairn said:

Good few points raised and let’s face it until we get a vaccine, it’s very much a case of hoping we can actually get games on, as with the latest increase with infections, it’s looking like a lottery. 
I just can’t see how many clubs will be able to survive without the fans ie hospitality, pay at the gate etc 

I have read enough opinions from experts who question the effectiveness of a vaccine across a wide range of populations, to have some real doubts .

I wouldn't hang my hat on getting a cure all virus to save the day.

We need to learn to live with this virus , protecting the vulnerable whilst trying to return to some sort of normal.      

19 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

the BLM movement has very just cause for protesting on the streets. I think that you have been brainwashed by DJT re: anarchy and being a "nasty" ( one of Trump's favourite words) organisation,etc.

The police in the U.S. would appear to be vastly overfunded, whenever there is an incident there seems to be dozens of cops hanging around doing not very much. Some cops there are earning $100k plus and there was one instance  recently of Ethan Newberg, A Baltimore PD officer whose basic salary is $107k, and when you added on benefits and overtime he was pulling in $260k!

And why do police departments need armoured cars and grenade launchers?

Defunding does not mean getting rid of the police, it means re-directing funds to other areas such as mental health care. How many times do we see some poor soul having a mental health issue and they get blasted away by cops who have no idea how to deal with the situation? Their first action is nearly always force rather than de-escalation.

https://www.marketplace.org/2020/06/12/police-departments-1033-military-equipment-weapons/

That's America for you! The recent pictures of folk queuing at gun stores (gun stores FFS) before buying an arsenal are truly concerning and all supported by Trump too.

We need to be very careful that we don't follow the same route.

1 hour ago, Hank von Hell said:

I have read enough opinions from experts who question the effectiveness of a vaccine across a wide range of populations, to have some real doubts .

I wouldn't hang my hat on getting a cure all virus to save the day.

We need to learn to live with this virus , protecting the vulnerable whilst trying to return to some sort of normal.      

And die from it!

Its normal.

1 hour ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Agreed but this ‘tedious pish’ pervades everything, I’m afraid.

I'm not saying we shouldn't be discussing how it effects football but there are a millions of other message boards where people can have general covid or BLM discussions. I come on here to try and avoid all that.

3 hours ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Was that the Stevenson goal were he ran from the penalty box at the car park end and put it in the pokey at the railway end ?

Yup. Am currently searching for a photo of the goal, and of the one that Ally McRoberts scored v Montrose to win the league... 

13 minutes ago, Dennistoun Bairn said:

Yup. Am currently searching for a photo of the goal, and of the one that Ally McRoberts scored v Montrose to win the league... 

Brilliant individual goal ! what was so good as it became obvious what he was trying the support behaved like they were at the horse racing cheering him on to the winning line. One of the few memorable moments in a miserable era. Was never the most skillful player but had a good engine in him and at least he tried every game - liked him.

Just rewatched the highlights of the 2016 playoff final first leg at TFS and I’ve got no idea why I went down to Kilmarnock thinking we had a decent chance to hold on to our first leg lead. They absolutely played us off the park at TFS and we scored right at the end with just about our only shot on target meanwhile they missed several sitters.

18 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Just rewatched the highlights of the 2016 playoff final first leg at TFS and I’ve got no idea why I went down to Kilmarnock thinking we had a decent chance to hold on to our first leg lead. They absolutely played us off the park at TFS and we scored right at the end with just about our only shot on target meanwhile they missed several sitters.

We exceeded all expectations that season, and scraped by more than a few times, I just thought luck was on our side but ran out at the end of that game.