The Falkirk FC Thread

4 hours ago, Harry Kinnear said:

I started as a wee 6 year old boy sitting in the stand with my Dad in 1972, used to sit and watch the choir longing for the days when I was old enough to go to games with my pals so I could go in there. These days duly arrived late 70's and I remained in the choir area for a good few years before moving to behind the goals at the Hope Street end and there I remained until they demolished the Old Lady.

I absolutely loved the place, it was an absolute shithole but it was our shithole. All my best memories of watching the Bairns are there, TFS will never match them. 

It brings a tear to my eye to think about Brockville. The closeness of the action and camaraderie couldn’t be beaten.

I dislike the TFS for numerous reasons. Stands too far away, lop sided, windy and a reminder of the pompousness of those running the club at the time. 

if I won the Euromillions I’d build Falkirk a new, tight 8000 stadium with a bit of atmosphere.

7 hours ago, Harry Kinnear said:

I started as a wee 6 year old boy sitting in the stand with my Dad in 1972, used to sit and watch the choir longing for the days when I was old enough to go to games with my pals so I could go in there. These days duly arrived late 70's and I remained in the choir area for a good few years before moving to behind the goals at the Hope Street end and there I remained until they demolished the Old Lady.

I absolutely loved the place, it was an absolute shithole but it was our shithole. All my best memories of watching the Bairns are there, TFS will never match them. 

I was lucky enough to visit a few times in those days and you're right, it was a special ground even by the standards of the day. IMO it had the best atmosphere of any Scottish ground its size.

Maybe we're not too far away from the day when a terrace could run the length of the park at TFS on the east side, and bring a new set of memories to a new generation. 

Only stood in the choir a couple of times with ma da, used to always plead with him to let us go there. Played St Johnstone in then Scottish when davie moss tore them a new one, one saints fan fancied his chances and jamp over the hoarding and ran round the cage to the Falkirk fans, he was swiftly dealt with. I was just a laddie but fantastic memories. 

8 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Too big for our needs, but a scaled down Tynecastle would suit us perfectly. Love their steep stands, and it does generate a cracking atmosphere.

Was told it was the council that drove the design of the main stand and FFC were more or less told ' This is what you are getting ' So that explains the atmosphere vacuum we are saddled with. Nothing can be done and we are stuck with it mores the pity.

The only chance to improve things is with the 4th stand.

10 Stepped standing area in front.

2 tier grandstand with steep stands 12 rows deep. Build a cash cow behind it Hotel, Sport complex type of thing. 

But here is the rub 'There is no financial need to build it'

37 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Do we think Gow coming in will mean we'll be signing more than the two players already quoted by M&M. Surely if he has a wealth of contacts he already has players in mind we should be taking a look at. 

I dont think so, with a GK and a CH it probably gives us the best balanced side for a while, would imagine it will be working with a strategy for moving the club forward establishing some form of youth set up and progression for those players, We probably have a basis with the likes of Dowds, Sneddon, Keana and Morrison and to a lesser extent Mutch but if all of them do well enough then we are back to having sellable assets in a playing squad rather than journeymen that have achieved not a great deal.

Plus you also have the uncertainty of a short season, playing behind closed doors and  then you have covid testing on top of that. additional hygiene all to add into it thats going to take a whack to the budget.

Edited by AL-FFC

I'm hoping more in terms of he can get us a few loans in on top of the back up gk and centre back that we're expecting to come in.

We have what looks on paper like a solid first 11 but we need some quality on the bench as well if those first 11 aren't cutting it or get injured. There's 18 players in a matchday squad and I wouldn't be surprised if the 5 subs a game is voted in.

A squad of 21 with 3 untested youngsters in Snedden, Leitch and Laverty, 2 diddies in Sammon and Telfer and a 37 year old manager as a last resort. Leaves us a bit short even though it's a reduced budget and a reduced set of fixtures.

So if Gowser can use his contacts and get us a few cheap even free loans then that would put us in a much better position. A striker and a winger would be preferable. 

Edited by FFC 1876

On 29/08/2020 at 19:28, HopeStreetWalker said:

The Ginger God ! not heard that for years. Member of the Houstie Hard Core then ?

Founder member. Crazy times.

I remember we submitted a team for a charity FFC 5 a side tournament at Brockville , we decided to spray paint our hair ginger in the dressing room before we played as a homage to our hero. Left the paint can behind only to return between games to find two young kids had copied us and had used the spray paint on their own hair. 

Can't remember their first names now but I do remember their second names were Jeffries and Brown - true story!

Also the Falkirk player that was allocated to our team was none other than Simon Stainrod - he could have been aloof & disinterested but he was the opposite and hung about with us all day.  I did a mock interview with him listing all the teams he'd played for and asked him which was best, he said "That's a lot of good teams you've mentioned there, but player for player it has to be the Houstie Hardcore".  Crazy , mad times.  

I'm hoping more in terms of he can get us a few loans in on top of the back up gk and centre back that we're expecting to come in.
We have what looks on paper like a solid first 11 but we need some quality on the bench as well if those first 11 aren't cutting it or get injured. There's 18 players in a matchday squad and I wouldn't be surprised if the 5 subs a game is voted in.
A squad of 21 with 3 untested youngsters in Snedden, Leitch and Laverty, 2 diddies in Sammon and Telfer and a 37 year old manager as a last resort. Leaves us a bit short even though it's a reduced budget and a reduced set of fixtures.
So if Gowser can use his contacts and get us a few cheap even free loans then that would put us in a much better position. A striker and a winger would be preferable. 
Beyond the obvious GK and CB I think another RB should be the priority. As things stand Gary Miller is our backup there (unless I'm missing something obvious) and he also happens to be our best holding midfielder

See the point with regards to quality on the bench but I'd argue having Gomis, Todd, Telfer and Sammon in reserve, along with a couple of promising younger players, means we're in decent shape considering the circumstances

Would much rather swap Sammon for someone who can be arsed, granted, but it is what it is

25 minutes ago, Nedelko said:

Beyond the obvious GK and CB I think another RB should be the priority. As things stand Gary Miller is our backup there (unless I'm missing something obvious) and he also happens to be our best holding midfielder

See the point with regards to quality on the bench but I'd argue having Gomis, Todd, Telfer and Sammon in reserve, along with a couple of promising younger players, means we're in decent shape considering the circumstances

Would much rather swap Sammon for someone who can be arsed, granted, but it is what it is

I don't think 3 of that 4 are going to come on and change a game barring Todd as I haven't seen enough of him yet to really make that comment. Gomis is there as cover if Miller gets injured or if we need to hold onto a game. Nobody wants Sammon including M&M if the rumours are true that they've tried a few times this summer to get him out. Then we all know we're not going to get much from Telfer that's a given.

Edited by FFC 1876

3 hours ago, Hank von Hell said:

Founder member. Crazy times.

I remember we submitted a team for a charity FFC 5 a side tournament at Brockville , we decided to spray paint our hair ginger in the dressing room before we played as a homage to our hero. Left the paint can behind only to return between games to find two young kids had copied us and had used the spray paint on their own hair. 

Can't remember their first names now but I do remember their second names were Jeffries and Brown - true story!

Also the Falkirk player that was allocated to our team was none other than Simon Stainrod - he could have been aloof & disinterested but he was the opposite and hung about with us all day.  I did a mock interview with him listing all the teams he'd played for and asked him which was best, he said "That's a lot of good teams you've mentioned there, but player for player it has to be the Houstie Hardcore".  Crazy , mad times.  

Was a good article in a Fanzine One F in Falkirk or Rupert's Roar can't remember about Houston from the Hardcore with a Q&A session from the great man.

Hard things have been said about his stewardship of the club some of them on this forum same goes for Hughes.

Time for the support to remember their contribution to the club and it would be fitting for them to be regular visitors to games so the support can show their appreciation and that their contribution far outweighs the negatives.

That's fair !

I think the overall opinion of Houston is overwhelmingly positive.

His time playing, coaching and early managerial stint with us were all successful to various degrees.

OK the ending of his managerial stint was unsatisfactory but I think most folk accept that's what happens. There's nothing like the venom felt towards your McKinnons and  Hartleys.

Edited by Ranaldo Bairn

Read the article with Gowser basically he is doing a John Park as scout but he is also an agent (that's where the indian fella comes into it as well) do we know if he is going for a bid for the club again or is this just rumour control and is it the local business men he is fronting it with or the indian one ?

3 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

Read the article with Gowser basically he is doing a John Park as scout but he is also an agent (that's where the indian fella comes into it as well) do we know if he is going for a bid for the club again or is this just rumour control and is it the local business men he is fronting it with or the indian one ?

From all the rumours doing the rounds on different forums, and the fact that boardroom has a reputation for leaking like a sieve, I think it's safe to assume there is a lot more to come out than the club have said so far. 

Let's wait and see what happens. I have a feeling that once the i's are dotted and the t's are crossed we'll  discover that Gow will have much more clout than an ordinary scout, agent or even Director of Football would have. If the rumours are accurate he's going to become some sort of shareholder rather than an employee. Exactly how large a shareholder he becomes - and what power that gives him - remains to be seen. As does whether he's in this alone or with others. 

The people who've been clamouring for change might just end up getting their wish. 

13 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

From all the rumours doing the rounds on different forums, and the fact that boardroom has a reputation for leaking like a sieve, I think it's safe to assume there is a lot more to come out than the club have said so far. 

Let's wait and see what happens. I have a feeling that once the i's are dotted and the t's are crossed we'll  discover that Gow will have much more clout than an ordinary scout, agent or even Director of Football would have. If the rumours are accurate he's going to become some sort of shareholder rather than an employee. Exactly how large a shareholder he becomes - and what power that gives him - remains to be seen. As does whether he's in this alone or with others. 

The people who've been clamouring for change might just end up getting their wish. 

Gowser knows what the club means to the fans i  know the club is a business but i dont think things are on the same level as MC with Gow, like you say there is probably a lot more to come out  yet.

2 hours ago, AL-FFC said:

If Gow does come up with funds then it has to be open where it has come from.

22 hours ago, FFC 1876 said:

Exactly. We still badly need some bodies if you ask me. A fullback that can play either side would be useful as if dixon got injured first game your then relying on a young totally untested boy to play the rest of the season which is asking a hell of a lot. Some options out wide would be useful too.  Lot may depend on whether this share buyout by local businessmen and gow gets passed . They hopefully realise that to have a decent youth pathway it's imperative we get out of league one and back into the championship.