The Falkirk FC Thread

25 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

The Academy would be a long term investment with no payday for 8-10 years.

If there is no business plan for that length of time and I think they don't have one. This is nothing more than another MC type chancer charade !

True if all they would be doing is recruiting players at 8-10 years old or younger.

But academy players are recruited at all ages including 15-17 years old, which can yield a good couple of years in the first team and transfer fee - think Murray Wallace.

If this is genuine I'd expect them to phase it in gradually mindful of the costs.   

Unfair to compare with the bearded unicorn as he was mouthing off about a hotel, buying the stadium etc (within 90 days) - complete pie on the sky stuff.     

1 hour ago, Reggie Perrin said:

The most positive thing that I take from this is the pledge to restore our youth set up.
This will not happen quickly however, the morons who binned the Academy should be banned from ever setting foot in the Stadium again.

Well out of the 2 lying mouthpieces - Campbell and Lang - I'd expect CC will happily not come back. But judging by Martin's gushing obituary when he left it would seem more than just those 2 wanted the academy gone. 

I would bet Margaret will now regret her role in it all especially as she was quoted by Peter Houston as being a big believer in the academy only a couple of months earlier. Also as she is a fan and was an "unpaid volunteer that went to reserve matches" she might well be forgiven by some but not all - including me.       

The vastly inflated figures invented to suit their agenda was the death of our academy - thing is they were/are only custodians of our club and it wasn't theirs to kill.

Never forget or forgive.   

(PS - welcome back Alan Gow!)

14 minutes ago, Hank von Hell said:

True if all they would be doing is recruiting players at 8-10 years old or younger.

But academy players are recruited at all ages including 15-17 years old, which can yield a good couple of years in the first team and transfer fee - think Murray Wallace.

If this is genuine I'd expect them to phase it in gradually mindful of the costs.   

Unfair to compare with the bearded unicorn as he was mouthing off about a hotel, buying the stadium etc (within 90 days) - complete pie on the sky stuff.     

Robbie Mutch is another example as if he keeps performing the way he has and continues to develop he'll be the next player to be sold. He was released from Aberdeen and we snapped him up. 

Well out of the 2 lying mouthpieces - Campbell and Lang - I'd expect CC will happily not come back. But judging by Martin's gushing obituary when he left it would seem more than just those 2 wanted the academy gone. 

I would bet Margaret will now regret her role in it all especially as she was quoted by Peter Houston as being a big believer in the academy only a couple of months earlier. Also as she is a fan and was an "unpaid volunteer that went to reserve matches" she might well be forgiven by some but not all - including me.       

The vastly inflated figures invented to suit their agenda was the death of our academy - thing is they were/are only custodians of our club and it wasn't theirs to kill.

Never forget or forgive.   

(PS - welcome back Alan Gow!)

Lang is every bit as culpable as Campbell as she ultimately backed the disastrous “Brentford Model “ plan.

I know she went to reserve games as I saw her at some.

Does that make me and the others who attended some reserve games in some way superior to other fans?

She deserves absolutely no sympathy as she played a leading role in our dramatic decline.

44 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

The Academy would be a long term investment with no payday for 8-10 years.

If there is no business plan for that length of time and I think they don't have one. This is nothing more than another MC type chancer charade !

I don't think you can put any timescale on an academy set up to profit.

There are plenty players freed from clubs classed as the biggest in Scotland at 15/16 or so and haven't achieved what they can.

A lot of our sold academy players took that route with us and many other clubs.

A successful academy wont be overnight and could also possibly never, it's just not something a timescale can be planned for. It will be hard work building it up and needs a manager(s) who will want to give youth a chance, something Houston didn't and for me the downfall of our academy.

1 hour ago, AL-FFC said:

Anyone with half a brain knows the main aim anyone wants the club its for the potential and not the clubs the potential the land that it sits on one of the most popular tourist visits, we are sat 15-20 mins away from Edinburgh airport and that Falkirk doesn't have  enough top quality hotels.  With this current pandemic it could be seen a chance to take over the club and the upper hand in any negotiations with the council thing is the mono-blocking and the charging points weren't done with council money but Scottish govt grants but Falkirk Council will claim the glory for it despite the fact the highlands and islands have more EV charging points than Falkirk district.

Eh?

1 hour ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Whit?

How the hell do you guys know this?

I get we have been through a real charade before, but I'm really not sure other than being cautious where all this mud slinging is coming from. 

1 minute ago, Sarcastic Bairn said:

Eh?

Whit?

How the hell do you guys know this?

I get we have been through a real charade before, but I'm really not sure other than being cautious where all this mud slinging is coming from. 

My point being if there was a new msg and the plan was to buy the stadium Falkirk council would be arseholes about selling the stadium and bump it up to include the mono locking of the car parking and the charging bays but they didn’t fork out for them it was Scottish govt grants.

1 hour ago, Believe The Hype said:

Loved Alan Gow when he was with us. Also encouraged by the fact we are looking at youthful and hungry staff looking to make a mark across all areas in the club now. Sick fed up of journeymen dinosaurs that have achieved the square root of f**k all. 

First season in the SPL got Gow 8 on my shirt as 14 year old fan boy. Really wish he hadn’t moved to Rangers but you can’t blame him I suppose. 

On the more serious side god knows what will happen, like any appointment it’s a risk no matter what level but I’m glad the club is finally having some sort of structure in place and hopefully it works long term.

Welcome back Handsome here’s a quick video of his time in navy blue (poor quality and lack of footage aside)

Edited by gav-ffc

16 minutes ago, Messi Scott said:

Looks a bit desperate going for Gow as a director of football, another odd decision 

Miller, McCracken, Alston and Gow. We are getting the band back together.

Besides it makes a nice change from Dunfermline signing up all the ex Bairns.

1 hour ago, Back Post Misses said:

Be interesting to see how this develops.

So, let me see:

2 inexperienced co-managers aged 37 and 38, together with an untried, inexperienced Head of Football Operations aged 37 - and who we know next to nothing about after his playing days - what could possibly go wrong? Surely there is room for some nous and experience in that triumvirate? Could we not find somebody with a bit of a track record of sourcing and signing players for the HoFO role?

OR - take their 3 salaries, combine them together, and get a better manager in?

Methinks another few years in the seaside leagues beckons.

Dads Were Doomed GIF - Dads WereDoomed GIFs

Edited by Bairn in Exile

3 hours ago, Bairn in Exile said:

So, let me see:

2 inexperienced co-managers aged 37 and 38, together with an untried, inexperienced Head of Football Operations aged 37 - and who we know next to nothing about after his playing days - what could possibly go wrong? Surely there is room for some nous and experience in that triumvirate? Could we not find somebody with a bit of a track record of sourcing and signing players for the HoFO role?

If it wasnt for a pandemic and a dodgy vote to end the season i still believe we would have went up if the season played out.  We keep going on or some do, about the lack of experience in the manager and D of  F we all had to start somewhere football or otherwise (how do you get experience =  doing the job).  Look where signing experienced managers in Hartley and McKinnon got us and ask yourself do we really need another journeyman manager to sign a journeyman team (as we moaned like f**k about that one as well)

So, let me see:
tenor.gif?itemid=10730215&key=68013876f515012e9afe5f8976a833ee236679ccd44c445d96f0f761c1c56c00

Jesus f**k

Guest Ecosse83
4 hours ago, Bairn in Exile said:

So, let me see:

Amazing how opinions can differ. I for one am excited about the managers now after the recent recruitment. Yes a bit inexperienced but they haven't done much wrong at all in my opinion. 

We have a balanced looking team with a good mix of older and young players. It's been the best recruitment we have had in a while!

7 minutes ago, Ecosse83 said:

It's been the best recruitment we have had in a while!

Based on what?? They have not played one single game yet, not a minute. Any fan still capable of independent though will be holding off on the "great recruitment" chat until we see if they're actually capable of rising above the utter dross they will be facing  on a weekly basis. The "great recruitment" chat was getting chucked about last pre-season. And the pre-season before that. And they'll be holding off on the "great appointment" chat with regards to Gow as well. After the appalling mismanagement of the club over more than a decade, I'll treat any move this regime make with extreme caution and cynicism. Anything appears to be on the table so long as it does not involve them having to cede one inch of control.

Christ and I thought I was negative. Can only be a positive move surely.  Cant help thinking is it not better to get in a guy whose fingers are on the pulse still when it comes to scottish football rather than someone whose been out the game for some time and whose contacts have dried up years ago. Ross Wilson had zero experience when he took up a similar role with us and was 27 when he moved to Watford. He's done no bad for himself. Gow's played in a number of countries and his contacts should still.be fresh.  Let's see where we go from here but to me its a better appointment than some old manager being dragged out of retirement to spend a few hours helping out when they're not on the golf course.

On the face of it this is a positive move, if its moving LM and/or CL on it has to be, however as BPM alluded to i think we are only getting half the story ATM and there is still loads to come out.
Yeah I dont think taking this at face value with no questions is the right move. It seems that Gow has or us about to acquire a large number of shares in our club whilst simultaneously injecting himself as top of the tree for all footballing decisions. Firstly, is it all his own money? Secondly, if it isnt, whose is it? Thirdly, how does he see this paying off?

He isnt a fan so let's leave the romance for the facebook maws. All of our concerns regarding agents being involved in the MC shambles and us becoming an agent run club still exist in this scenario, except the potential that the fox is already in the hen house is much more real here.

You simply cannot trust decisions made by the MSG to be in the best interests of the club and its fans, and of that has to include casting some dount over Alan Gow then so be it until we see otherwise

9 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Yeah I dont think taking this at face value with no questions is the right move. It seems that Gow has or us about to acquire a large number of shares in our club whilst simultaneously injecting himself as top of the tree for all footballing decisions. Firstly, is it all his own money? Secondly, if it isnt, whose is it? Thirdly, how does he see this paying off?

He isnt a fan so let's leave the romance for the facebook maws. All of our concerns regarding agents being involved in the MC shambles and us becoming an agent run club still exist in this scenario, except the potential that the fox is already in the hen house is much more real here.

You simply cannot trust decisions made by the MSG to be in the best interests of the club and its fans, and of that has to include casting some dount over Alan Gow then so be it until we see otherwise

Absolutely spot on. Genuinely shocked at the amount of love in with that statement filled with everything the fans wanted to hear. It was just missing a #onceabairn to complete the full set. It’s word for word what yer man Mark Campbell was promising on the football side of things. I’m naturally pessimistic with this shower making the right decision but willing to wait to hear more of how this will develop.

Edited by wee_bairn