The Falkirk FC Thread

2 hours ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

M&M have built their own team. The fans have high hopes ! How many times have we said that over the last few seasons ?

Mutch- Mercer-Dixon-Durnan-Hall-Morrison-Alston-Miller(g)-Connolly-Dowds-Keene.

That line up will not be far away for most of the games they had better deliver.

I know everyone's getting a bit excited but what do we really know about some of the squad? We know what we'll get from Dixon, the Millers, Gomis, Alston & Connolly but we're really in the dark about Mercer, Morrison, Keena, Dowds, Sneddon & Lafferty. Hall, Durnan, Todd & Leitch are splitting opinion and may, or may not be good enough while we have Telfer and Sammon who I don't think anyone wants near the team.

Hopefully just me being my pessimistic self, but time will tell.

2 hours ago, AL-FFC said:

I think the biggest point is we have some young lads that have a point to prove we've all been crying out for another Vaulks and the only way we are going to do that is by giving young lads that have been released a platform to prove folk wrong.  I dont think any of the lads we have signed are Dallisons, Lewis and the rest who were at Premiership clubs but couldnt or had no interest in trying to cut it different mindset

Would love to see Sneddon and Laverty establish themselves. Nothing more satisfying in supporting a team when that happens.

32 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

I know everyone's getting a bit excited but what do we really know about some of the squad? We know what we'll get from Dixon, the Millers, Gomis, Alston & Connolly but we're really in the dark about Mercer, Morrison, Keena, Dowds, Sneddon & Lafferty. Hall, Durnan, Todd & Leitch are splitting opinion and may, or may not be good enough while we have Telfer and Sammon who I don't think anyone wants near the team.

I'd confidently say this team looks a lot more promising than last years team. Given how rank we have been in recent years you'd be mad to not be pessimistic, however this team looks a lot younger and energetic on paper. 

We’ve got Gary Miller dishing out clothesline from hells all over the place, BSLM being BSLM and Blair Alston swashbuckling his way through every game.

Don’t see what else we need tbh.

5 hours ago, FFC 1876 said:

what happened with Callum Erskine I can't see him having signed with anyone? Is he not up to much?

I don't think Cal was ever rated as being good enough for a professional contract at Falkirk.

He trained with us last season but I suspect that was just a favour to an ex-academy player. Albeit his presence would have helped the goalkeeper training. Some of the routines I've watched seem to involve two or three goalies hitting rapid-fire shots from different angles, so he would have been a cheap (or free?) participant to help the number one, while still getting a turn in goals. Which would have helped his own career if he hoped to get a gig elsewhere. 

21 minutes ago, Bantabairn said:

Apart from the GK & CB needed, I wouldn’t rule out maybe one or two last gasp loans, only if the correct players become available. I would imagine that we will see much more general transfer activity throughout all leagues, with the furlough scheme being wound down, as many clubs would be lucky to field a first eleven. Glad we’ve got our squad together and whilst you wouldn’t be a Falkirk fan without some pessimism after the recent disasters, I feel that we’ve targeted the correct positional players who are young hungry and hopefully do well. Can’t wait to get back for beers and a Saturday out.

Lot may depend on season ticket sales over the next month or so too. Still a couple of pay days before the season starts.

I highly doubt we'll have a squad of 21 then bring some more loans in especially considering clubs will be looking for us to pay the majority of the players wages in these times. I think the centre back and the back up goalie will be our lot unless Sammon leaves or we are of course offered a very good loan deal but you only get those very good loan deals if you have good affiliations with bigger clubs or contacts within those bigger clubs and I highly doubt M&M have that. 

15 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

Agree ! feet on the ground and give the players a chance, but the team have to come out the traps first game in particular with the shorter season.

Been getting De Ja Vu  flashbacks to Hartley squad optimism and how it all turned when the reality hit home.

22 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Agree ! feet on the ground and give the players a chance, but the team have to come out the traps first game in particular with the shorter season.

Been getting De Ja Vu  flashbacks to Hartley squad optimism and how it all turned when the reality hit home.

Tbf most of the Hartley squad optimism was around sleeve tattoos, hipster beards and fake tans.

Its more about football this time and long may it continue.

59 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

35 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Tbf most of the Hartley squad optimism was around sleeve tattoos, hipster beards and fake tans.

Its more about football this time and long may it continue.

In fairness the fact they looked the part was where our optimism lay and as far as it went, not to mention that some other teams posters were quite complimentary in the fact it looked as if we had signed a team of "Ballers" as it turned out the "Ballers" turned out to be bawbags and the only one that looked even remotely competent was Patrick Brough the rest the less said about the better