The Falkirk FC Thread

36 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
55 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:
M&M appear to have targeted specific players for specific positions which is really good to see.
I’m looking forward to seeing the team gel.

With the players we have, it looks like we will be quite a direct team, which will be an absolute pleasure to see after rather a lot of ponderous cagey shite in recent times.

Hope so ! this faffing about for the first 15-20 minutes to 'settle into the game' nonsense has pissed me off for a few seasons now.

Nothing better than going for their throats from the first minute. Half a dozen corners, desperate clearances, goalie making saves, punts up the park to clear their lines, opposition not getting over the half way line for the first 10 minutes ! High tempo - this is how we are going to play, try and stop us doing it.

Remember when that was the norm ! about time it made a comeback.

Guest Ecosse83
21 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Yeah I think who we get in at centre back is crucial, for me they need to be a starter. Durnan and Hall are very much average so it would be good to have a solid defender in so they two can compete between themselves to earn their place in the starting 11. 

Exactly this! 

Edited by Ecosse83

Durnans problem is the needless bookings he picks up all it takes for him to be on the wrong end of a decision to get  a red instead of a yellow and we are back to square one, pretty sure he was hovering about missing 2 games over his disciplinary points. We missed Gomis and McManus due to being on the wrong end of a decisions that shouldnt have been.  I would have added Telfer but his contribution has been minimal so that didn't make much difference.

6 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

Durnans problem is the needless bookings he picks up all it takes for him to be on the wrong end of a decision to get  a red instead of a yellow and we are back to square one, pretty sure he was hovering about missing 2 games over his disciplinary points. We missed Gomis and McManus due to being on the wrong end of a decisions that shouldnt have been.  I would have added Telfer but his contribution has been minimal so that didn't make much difference.

It’s not just his bookings.

Were you at the away game v Airdrie?

He was horrendous.

But, towards the end of the season, he kept it simple and improved immeasurably.

1 hour ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

He was horrendous.

But, towards the end of the season, he kept it simple and improved immeasurably.

Yes,, i have been overly critical of the guy and as much as he has improved under m and m as far as defenders go apart from project hartley he is up there with Brian Hamilton to one of the worst .  He arses up and proceeds to shout at everyone else for his f**k ups which on the fact he is being vocal is the only reason which put him under consideration for the captaincy.  Its the (shout at everyone for my mistake in hoping they see it as leadership as they have been too busy watching the game to notice his f**k ups)

The guy is a liability but seeing as we are stuck with him i only hope the CH we sign is to keep him out the team  as if we go 4 4 2 you might as well be having it 3 4 2

Sammon, Durnan and Telfer we could have done better than retain although the Sammon one he took the option of the 2nd year the other 2 we dont have any excuse for.

2 hours ago, AL-FFC said:

Sammon one he took the option of the 2nd year

You're saying the option lay with the player?! Any club entering into such an agreement would literally be the stupidest football club on the planet. The option should only lie with one party - the club. There has never been any confirmation from the club about the length of the contract he signed. Who's to say it was not a straight two years. I'd be astonished if the management team have not advised him he's free to go if he can get himself a move elsewhere. That's a long shot unfortunately.

1 hour ago, AGPar said:

You're saying the option lay with the player?! Any club entering into such an agreement would literally be the stupidest football club on the planet. The option should only lie with one party - the club. There has never been any confirmation from the club about the length of the contract he signed. Who's to say it was not a straight two years. I'd be astonished if the management team have not advised him he's free to go if he can get himself a move elsewhere. That's a long shot unfortunately.

Blame Lex. It was him that mucked up the contract and tried to blame McKinnon.

1 hour ago, AGPar said:

Someone posted on here the 2nd year option lay with the player (cant remember who it was that posted).  There was an interview with LM and DM that suggests Sammon wont be a starting striker if you listen to  what he says (will see if i can find it was either on the website) so either freeze the player out to which he asks to leave or play him sparingly as a back up player.  Reading between the lines in the interview:

David McCracken, added: “After losing a couple of players in forward areas at the end of the season we felt it was vital that we added at least a similar number in those positions. In Anton Dowds and now Aidan we feel we have a very potent attacking threat and two players who will work really well together as a partnership

Edited by AL-FFC

27 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

Someone posted on here the 2nd year option lay with the player (cant remember who it was that posted).  There was an interview with LM and DM that suggests Sammon wont be a starting striker if you listen to  what he says (will see if i can find it was either on the website) so either freeze the player out to which he asks to leave or play him sparingly as a back up player.  Reading between the lines in the interview:

David McCracken, added: “After losing a couple of players in forward areas at the end of the season we felt it was vital that we added at least a similar number in those positions. In Anton Dowds and now Aidan we feel we have a very potent attacking threat and two players who will work really well together as a partnership

Yeah i'm sure someone said M&M had already tried numerous times to get Sammon to go. Problem is he lives in Larbert, he'll most likely be on a half decent wage and nobody else will pay him anywhere near that so even though he's not going to be playing he'll most likely be happy to ride out his last year on the bench.

On 21/08/2020 at 06:40, Senor Bairn said:
Last night, I was taking a walk along the river
And I saw him together with a young girl
And the look that he gave her made me shiver
'Cause he always used to look at me that way
Then I thought maybe I should walk right up to her and say
Ah-ha-ha, it's a game he likes to play
Look into Blair Alstons eyes
One look and you're hypnotized
He'll take your heart and you must pay the price
Look into Blair Alston eyes
You'll think you're in paradise
And one day you'll find out he wears a disguise
Don't look too deep into Blair Alstons eyes. 

Love a bit of Abba 

7 hours ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

He was horrendous.

That airdrie performance fortunately turned into a watershed  for durnan. He was awful that day but as you said knuckled down after that and along with the removal of buchanan alongside him saw him become our best defender in the run in.

2 hours ago, Dennistoun Bairn said:

Anthony Stokes signs up at Livingston right enough.  Probably give him til Xmas before it all goes wrong. .  

They're morally corrupt but not scared to take the untouchables and couldn't give a hoot what folk think. Not the only reason but they're in the top division and we're languishing in the 3rd. Clough used to pick up waifs and strays, knew they had ability and sorted them out. He didn't do too badly. We've been taking the moral highground ,trying to be pc and signing boys brigade lance corporals who apologise for making a tackle.

Edited by Syd Puddefoot

1 hour ago, Syd Puddefoot said:

They're morally corrupt but not scared to take the untouchables and couldn't give a hoot what folk think. Not the only reason but they're in the top division and we're languishing in the 3rd. Clough used to pick up waifs and strays, knew they had ability and sorted them out. He didn't do too badly. We've been taking the moral highground ,trying to be pc and signing boys brigade lance corporals who apologise for making a tackle.

It was Peter Taylor that came up with the waifs and strays. Clough would come up the specification of the type of player he wanted and Taylor did the rest. He was also the foil for Cloughs genius and turning these under preforming players around Kenny Burns being a good example.

Stokes would have been a gamble for sure. If it worked great ! If it didn't then little outlay ! If anything it would be seen  as a flawed ex hero being given a chance of redemption that he blew.

19 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

Sammon is fourth choice after Miller imo. And a poor fourth at that. There's really no place for him other than comedy value. 

Is there no one else that can be fourth choice ahead of him , anyone?

What about auld Jean? 

14 hours ago, Bantabairn said:

It’s been quite a long time since any manager has actually targeted the positions that have been so bloody weak/poor, and so pleased M&M appear to have a starting eleven (and squad) to get us out of this league. Still a minor doubt with the CB best pairing but thought Durnans form was decent until shutdown. Really looking forward to the season starting and back at the games.

I always said M&M cannot be judged fully until they have their own team. The January window is notoriously difficult and it's not fair to judge their recruitment based on that.

It's very encouraging to see them building what looks like a decent team during this window.