The Falkirk FC Thread

17 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

I'm sure Miller's kids are at Motherwell so maybe he's heard good things about Ferguson from the academy. Looks too small for me.

Is Brian Hamilton not in charge of coaching their youths ? 

11 hours ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

I'm still of the opinion that BODs should recruit a manager, give him a budget and let him get on with it. And then fire him if he fails. 

There has to be some sort of middle ground, the club should have a long term strategy for the playing squad and IMO that shouldn't have to change each time you change a manager, i don't want a DOF type role to have sole control over transfers but they should be part of the conversation when identifying players.

11 hours ago, Gaz FFC said:

I'm very confident we will play Infront of a crowd this year but I'm also certain it won't be 100% and this gives problems at the smaller away venues.

Can see us getting some very small allocations especially at Dumbarton and East Fife if the curfew isn't lifted

I once thought it would happen but when the Germans delay crowds from original starting point and England not expecting crowds this year, I doubt we will be at the forefront leading the way.

It's all very much wait and see as they predict the virus will be worse in the cold weather.

We ruined ourselves when we got rid of the Academy especially in the manner we did but I think the way forward for us now is the dreaded 'Brentford' model. We'd need to have a DOF in charge who has contacts and a scouting background as we're in essence a stepping stone club right now and we need to be bringing in young promising players that we can develop and sell on. I like the signing's this summer as they fit that mould and M&M seem keen to bring in young players which is a positive. I'd want a DOF in charge to identify targets but our management team to be having the final say on who they want as otherwise it's a certainty to break down at some point or another. 

Edited by FFC 1876

3 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

We ruined ourselves when we got rid of the Academy especially in the manner we did but I think the way forward for us now is the dreaded 'Brentford' model but we'd need to have a DOF in charge who has contacts and a scouting background. We're in essence a stepping stone club and we need to be bringing in young promising players that we can develop and sell on. I like the signing's this summer as they fit that mould and M&M seem keen to bring in young players which is a positive. I'd want a DOF in charge to identify targets but our management team to be having the final say on who they want as otherwise it's a certainty to break down at some point or another. 

IF what is posted about Gowser buying LM shares would he not take up that mantle or was there not already talk of someone in a DoF position if he took over the club

29 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

We ruined ourselves when we got rid of the Academy especially in the manner we did but I think the way forward for us now is the dreaded 'Brentford' model. We'd need to have a DOF in charge who has contacts and a scouting background as we're in essence a stepping stone club right now and we need to be bringing in young promising players that we can develop and sell on. I like the signing's this summer as they fit that mould and M&M seem keen to bring in young players which is a positive. I'd want a DOF in charge to identify targets but our management team to be having the final say on who they want as otherwise it's a certainty to break down at some point or another. 

I just don't get this "Brentford Model"

They signed a few released or paid for premier League youths and some abroad with potential to sell on

Some will work, some won't as their record transfer shows it didn't. The above isn't really a model, it's something every club has done albeit Brentford has had some relative success in recent years, same could be said about our academy and that isn't a model either !

1 hour ago, FFC 1876 said:

I'm sure Miller's kids are at Motherwell so maybe he's heard good things about Ferguson from the academy. Looks too small for me.

He's a decent enough young keeper but I think he'll end up somewhere else as first choice as he's at an age where he needs to be playing regular. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up back at Airdrie. And yeah he's not the biggest. 

7 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

He's a decent enough young keeper but I think he'll end up somewhere else as first choice as he's at an age where he needs to be playing regular. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up back at Airdrie. And yeah he's not the biggest. 

Airdrie signed Max Currie this summer so he won't be there but I agree it doesn't make sense for him to come here and play second fiddle. Especially when he's just spent the season as first choice at Linfield.

46 minutes ago, Dennistoun Bairn said:

That is just a travesty of a Falkirk strip on such a fine figure of a man.  I'm now not sure if its the bizarre cube pattern or all the red flashings that annoy the most. 

Cubes 

1 hour ago, Dennistoun Bairn said:

That is just a travesty of a Falkirk strip on such a fine figure of a man.  I'm now not sure if its the bizarre cube pattern or all the red flashings that annoy the most. 

The red flashings up the sides are totally pointless. It would look marginally better without them and that's being kind. It doesn't get any better each time you look at it. Puma tbf to them have gave us some not bad efforts but that simply falls into the "must do a helluva lot better" category. 

I suppose that it is positive that the biggest complaint that we have so far is the shit strip.

To be fair to Puma they have given us some lovely kits over the years and looking on the bright side not too many people will get to see this season’s abomination...

8 minutes ago, Gus2 said:

Next signing has to be a Keeper then next versatile defender then i think one more FW/AM and think the squad will be complete

I'd imagine a back up keeper and defender is our lot, unless somebody else leaves, which would give us a squad of 21.

22 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

I'd imagine a back up keeper and defender is our lot, unless somebody else leaves, which would give us a squad of 21.

Unless we can offload Sammon(thanks Ray) then I'd guess a versatile defender and keeper.

I'm still not ruling out 3-5-2, tho expecting 4-4-2, I really don't wanna see 4-2-3-1 in the 3rd tier, it was bad enough under Elvis in the 2nd tier.

Perhaps the loan market maybe more cost effective this season with a 27 game season in the bottom 3 tiers and I'm guessing little reserve squad action to go with that.

17 minutes ago, MrDust said:

Unless we can offload Sammon(thanks Ray) then I'd guess a versatile defender and keeper.

I'm still not ruling out 3-5-2, tho expecting 4-4-2, I really don't wanna see 4-2-3-1 in the 3rd tier, it was bad enough under Elvis in the 2nd tier.

Perhaps the loan market maybe more cost effective this season with a 27 game season in the bottom 3 tiers and I'm guessing little reserve squad action to go with that.

I doubt anyone would be stupid enough to want Sammon. I fully expect us to be his last  senior club. I wouldn't be surprised if he rocked up at a Kelty or East Kilbride at some point though. Unless ol' Ray does us a favour and takes him to Queens Park to link up with his growing band of other journeymen who he's previously managed. 

Guest Ecosse83
38 minutes ago, MrDust said:

4231 will be fine with the right manager telling the players how to play it!  It will be 442 though which is fine by me.