The Falkirk FC Thread

Durnan was absolutely fine for us once the new mamagement team came in, the best centre half we had last season, and more than capable at this level.

They’ve clearly told him to stop thinking he’s a footballer and just do the basic stuff, which has helped him.

I would still like another centre half in, and I would be worried about relying on him in the championship if we ever got there, but it’s fine for now.

1 minute ago, Trump said:

Durnan was absolutely fine for us once the new mamagement team came in, the best centre half we had last season, and more than capable at this level.

They’ve clearly told him to stop thinking he’s a footballer and just do the basic stuff, which has helped him.

I would still like another centre half in, and I would be worried about relying on him in the championship if we ever got there, but it’s fine for now.

He still has mistakes in him, he's improved but still has too many mistakes in him for doing the basics we need out this league and a ropey defender isnt what we need yes we have 3 other players there to help him in defence, but we cant afford passengers we already have Sammon and Telfer

3 hours ago, Bairn in Exile said:

I'm hoping for a few meaty ties in the cup due to the reconstruction vote / court case etc.

Group A, Hearts v Raith Rovers....

Fingers crossed for some blood and snotters.

Since Hertz is boycotting and the Cup gates are shared, I’m hoping for a match at Tynecastle and seeing how the boycott threat goes.

35 minutes ago, Trump said:

Thought Toshney was better, even though his legs are made of glass!

Just now, Bglongmx said:

I don't Alston of recent seasons is the player he was - largely anonymous the last couple of times I've seen him play. If we could get him however it would be interesting to see if becoming a first pick could rekindle his desire/form.

Should the return of Rory Loy not be a warning to us, look how that turned out.

Fair point, just checking his season with Hamilton, 19 appearances, one goal & one assist. Surely good enough for this level ? 

“Surely good enough for this level” is the exact phrase we used for most of our signings last summer [emoji15]

Blair Alston's a very good player. I'm sure he would love to be back playing at the team he was most appreciated by and knowing that the fans would get right behind him from the off. 

Money talks of course but I think we would have a good chance of getting him if we can get anywhere near his best offer.

1 hour ago, Trump said:

100% after Airdrie away he was our best centre half. Buchanan got away with more as he was the “local lad” 

Another defender is required as you say just for general cover.

1 hour ago, ShaggerG said:

Thought Toshney was better, even though his legs are made of glass!

What Durnan needs is the right sort of central defender beside him, somebody in the Gary Smith style would get the best out of him.

if there is a position in a team that is a partnership its the central defenders. Get that right and the team gets built round them. Fullbacks on either side and the midfield in front of them. M&M know this and am sure they will be working with what they have got to make it work. If they can't look out for a signing !

Still got a feeling it's 3 at the back ! 

Guest Ecosse83
12 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

What Durnan needs is the right sort of central defender beside him, somebody in the Gary Smith style would get the best out of him.

if there is a position in a team that is a partnership its the central defenders. Get that right and the team gets built round them. Fullbacks on either side and the midfield in front of them. M&M know this and am sure they will be working with what they have got to make it work. If they can't look out for a signing !

Still got a feeling it's 3 at the back

Even though we've just signed a right winger??

I think if they were going for 3 at the back we'd have seen a lot more defenders come in. I like how M&M have went about their business getting the majority of the squad signed up early on. Clearly looking to sign young hungry players that they can look to develop and players that have a point to prove. Wonder if we may even see Sammon move on, highly unlikely I know but if he knows he's not going to be playing maybe Queens Park fancy him? 

29 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Blair Alston's a very good player. I'm sure he would love to be back playing at the team he was most appreciated by and knowing that the fans would get right behind him from the off. 

Money talks of course but I think we would have a good chance of getting him if we can get anywhere near his best offer.

He will be a different player to the one that left he's 5 years older for a start but more experienced to balance the maybe the drop off is some other aspects of his play.

7 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

I think if they were going for 3 at the back we'd have seen a lot more defenders come in. I like how M&M have went about their business getting the majority of the squad signed up early on. Clearly looking to sign young hungry players that they can look to develop and players that have a point to prove. Wonder if we may even see Sammon move on, highly unlikely I know but if he knows he's not going to be playing maybe Queens Park fancy him? 

Plus mercer is more a traditional right back than a wingback.

26 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Still got a feeling it's 3 at the back ! 

We've just signed a winger. Connolly, another out-and-out winger, was one of our best and most improved players prior to the season being cancelled. We currently have two central defenders on the books. There is literally nothing whatsoever pointing to them going with a 3-5-2 formation.