The Falkirk FC Thread

I’m not saying it’s a goer but, as someone who’s had  this disease and of a business orientation, I’d have thought you’d at least be interested in ideas to get us back to something approaching normality.
All I ever get on here is negativity.
Time for some ‘blue sky ‘thinking.

It 100% needs a vaccine. It will not go back to anything like it was until that happens

6 minutes ago, BountyBairn said:

There needs to be some pragmatism here but I’m not clear where the line lies. It’s clear as day that we can’t stay in a lockdown. There are many many knock on affects which come from that which can’t be ignored - children’s education, wellbeing of general population and other medical needs beyond Covid all need to be active beside a functioning economy for society to exist. 

There needs to be targeted and thought out measures in place that allow us to function. 

dawson park has had moments but nothing wrong with what he’s said here imo.

It's all a matter balancing risks. You can take all the precautions there are but there will always be a margin of risk unless you can eliminate the cause.

Here is an example. There is a manufacturing process that results in a dangerous substance dust, aerosol , gas etc being released. First question can you replace the product that is the source ? No ! Can you change the process to stop the release of the contaminate ? No ! Can you isolate the process from human presence ? No ! Can you change the process so the contaminate is brought down to acceptable and safe levels ? No ! You then come down to the appropriate PPE to keep the individual safe.

So in the case of Covid19. The Scottish Governments F.A.C.T.S make perfect sense and and reasonable person buys into it. If you don't then you are no better than the idiot that does grinding without protective eye protection and complains if they get blinded.

In the end you are your own safety officer.

16 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

It 100% needs a vaccine. It will not go back to anything like it was until that happens

Agree, but realistically, I think it’s going to a long time coming.

They have to be sure about side effects or there could be a catastrophe.

Thinking thalidomide.

2 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

It's all a matter balancing risks. You can take all the precautions there are but there will always be a margin of risk unless you can eliminate the cause.

Here is an example. There is a manufacturing process that results in a dangerous substance dust, aerosol , gas etc being released. First question can you replace the product that is the source ? No ! Can you change the process to stop the release of the contaminate ? No ! Can you isolate the process from human presence ? No ! Can you change the process so the contaminate is brought down to acceptable and safe levels ? No ! You then come down to the appropriate PPE to keep the individual safe.

So in the case of Covid19. The Scottish Governments F.A.C.T.S make perfect sense and and reasonable person buys into it. If you don't then you are no better than the idiot that does grinding without protective eye protection and complains if they get blinded.

In the end you are your own safety officer.

Agree we should be our own safety officer but, if so, why the draconian restrictions on our civil liberties?

Its  just the plain arrogance of professional football players especially those on decent money that makes them think that they are above these rules and regulations .  Football sides should though be taking this far more seriously and ensuring that whilst the current situation exists players are not allowed in an environment like a pub , club etc. Small sacrifice  to put up with that to allow football to get going again. I'm amazed that this appears to be allowed when the likes of cricket and other sports have created bubbles where the players stay whilst they are participating.

1 hour ago, BountyBairn said:

There needs to be some pragmatism here but I’m not clear where the line lies. It’s clear as day that we can’t stay in a lockdown. There are many many knock on affects which come from that which can’t be ignored - children’s education, wellbeing of general population and other medical needs beyond Covid all need to be active beside a functioning economy for society to exist. 

There needs to be targeted and thought out measures in place that allow us to function. 

dawson park has had moments but nothing wrong with what he’s said here imo.

You make some interesting points about which I’ve given some thought.

The SG has a policy of eliminating the virus. That was probably a reasonable goal a few months ago but not know.

The policy, I think, should be containment and learning how to live alongside it till, hopefully a vaccine comes along or it fizzles out.

I do like the Swedish approach which had no lockdown, no muzzles and trusted people to behave responsibly. At the outset their care home deaths were appalling which they openly admit, about as bad as here in Scotland, but since then their stats are good and, significantly, their drop in GDP is the lowest of the Western economies plus their kids lost no schooling.

We desperately need to change tack and put all our resources into protecting the vulnerable as the young and middle - aged who are at miniscule risk need to get on with their lives.

Guest Ecosse83
32 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

You make some interesting points about which I’ve given some thought.

The SG has a policy of eliminating the virus. That was probably a reasonable goal a few months ago but not know.

The policy, I think, should be containment and learning how to live alongside it till, hopefully a vaccine comes along or it fizzles out.

I do like the Swedish approach which had no lockdown, no muzzles and trusted people to behave responsibly. At the outset their care home deaths were appalling which they openly admit, about as bad as here in Scotland, but since then their stats are good and, significantly, their drop in GDP is the lowest of the Western economies plus their kids lost no schooling.

We desperately need to change tack and put all our resources into protecting the vulnerable as the young and middle - aged who are at miniscule risk need to get on with their lives.

That's never going to happen when the pubs are so busy, very few people will social distance after a few pints. I like the pub as much as the next person but for me they shouldn't be open. 

3 hours ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Sweden's GDP dropped by 8.6% in the 2nd quarter, compared to Germany at 10.1% with a full and early lockdown, and with a higher death toll than all their Nordic neighbours combined, and reaching an insignificant level of herd immunity.

Incidentally Germany with a population of 84 million have a death toll of 9259.

Sweden have a population of 10 million with a death toll of 5763.

P.S. And they closed all secondary schools and colleges.

Edited by welshbairn

1 hour ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Agree we should be our own safety officer but, if so, why the draconian restrictions on our civil liberties?

Because they are not draconian. It is a a set of conditions laid down for community safety allowing partial lifting of the restrictions as the virus is eliminated.

The majority of the people have bought into it due to good communication as to why these restrictions have been put in place. That is why there have been no deaths in Scotland on the methodology used for 23 days, its been a communal effort that achieved it.

These are extraordinary circumstances we are living in that require extraordinary courses of action. Remember these restrictions have to be renewed every 3 weeks and can be voted down at any time so there are checks and balances to ensure no abuse of power.

2 hours ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Because of people like the Aberdeen players that went out do you honestly expect people to apply common sense as far as this goes its like someone mentioned do you take the chance to do grinding without PPE because you think it wont happen to me its already been said that half the people will not accept the vaccine this being the younger generation which means it will be your anti vaxxers and those that still believe that corona is caused by 5g.  Whenever you think that mankind/humans cant arse things up any more its almost like the universe is saying challeneg accepted we cant even follow simple guidelines without arsing it up if not for those that think their civil liberties are being tested or because they think they wont catch it.

David Icke has a lot to answer for

Few folk on the coyb fans page still saying we are skint after not signing the boy from Peterhead.
I'm not on Facebook, but if I was I would be avoiding pages of maws sending pics of their sons haircuts, "at least you tried COYB" messages to M&M and almost the entire target audience for Keane ticket giveaways

Agree, but realistically, I think it’s going to a long time coming.
They have to be sure about side effects or there could be a catastrophe.
Thinking thalidomide.

There are plenty side effects of catching it, trust me

4 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

Current vaccine candidates are initially estimated at ~60% effectiveness with a single shot, slightly better than the flu vaccine (~50%). There is no confidence in getting even close to measles vaccine single shot effectiveness (~93%), so we can expect to need an initial shot and boosters. Compound this with a recent study suggesting immunity to COVID-19 is at most perhaps six months, and there are issues. The good news is that some percentage of the population have T-cells that respond to the virus despite not having been exposed, and those who have had it seem to have some mitigation potential with their immune system.

4 hours ago, BountyBairn said:

The most pragmatic response is to keep everything closed until test results are below 10% positive rate, and ideally 5%. The problem that we have is that we should prioritize opening schools before pubs and restaurants, however financially that isn’t possible. Then most places opened before reaching a <=10% positive rate, and as a result we see acceleration of cases. We’ve built a capitalism society rather than an agrarian one, and that model simply isn’t capable of dealing with this kind of event in a “good” manner.

How about getting back to discussing all things FFC.

We have all had our well intentioned say on this virus - lets move on.

So what positions do the forum think M&M have to fill.

Me first. Goalkeeper. Versatile defender come midfielder. Midfielder with with a bit of pace, stamina and work rate. ( 2020 version of Jim Shirra would do fine ) 

That is the minimum we can get away with. If we can afford another forward all the better.

Thoughts ?

13 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Me first. Goalkeeper. Versatile defender come midfielder. Midfielder with with a bit of pace, stamina and work rate. ( 2020 version of Jim Shirra would do fine ) 

That is the minimum we can get away with. If we can afford another forward all the better.

Thoughts ?

Well, you’re correct about a keeper.

Shouldnt be too difficult.

Personally I think we’re well covered in defence but we must have an attacking midfielder.

I understand we’ve been trying for Alston but no idea as to how things are going.

6 hours ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Thoughts ?

You are a good poster HSW but you do come across occasionally as a bit of a bossy organizer, trying to run the thread and only discussing topics that you want to discuss. I am guessing that you hold a management position? 

Your post would have been fine without the first 2 lines, it is quite possible to discuss 2 or 3 topics at the one time you know?

Anyhoo, for me, pretty much as you say although I would want the 3 outfield players to be signed and our players, I could live with the goalkeeper being a loan signing.

With regards to your "friends" at Aberdeen and their players behaviour and actions, they have got away with murder here, disgraceful.

Result just in:

Aberdeen 8, Scottish Football 0

Edited by Bairn in Exile