The Falkirk FC Thread

4 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

I do have a vague memory of blue and white stripes. Maybe a false memory, but I thinking the Craig Watson/George Gibson/Dennis Setterington era.

I remember as a kid my grandfather had an old Falkirk strip. Navy blue body, but it had red sleeves. Was pretty moth eaten and falling to bits. I have no idea what happened to it.

Found this mate. Might be your grandads strip ??

9D4EB73D-F251-49D9-B331-7F8EC993ABFC.png

4 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

I do have a vague memory of blue and white stripes. Maybe a false memory, but I thinking the Craig Watson/George Gibson/Dennis Setterington era.

I remember as a kid my grandfather had an old Falkirk strip. Navy blue body, but it had red sleeves. Was pretty moth eaten and falling to bits. I have no idea what happened to it.

It was in the George Miller era and only used for a handful of games. Deep Red shorts and white socks. There is a picture about of John Hay in the strip somewhere.

I liked it at least.

1 hour ago, Dennistoun Bairn said:

Just reading the article about Alex Duchart on the club web site; it includes a couple of interesting photos showing the team in unfamiliar strips, which I've never appreciated we had ever worn before.

I had always assumed the all-white ITC cup final strip was a complete one-off, and had never seen the Blackburn-style quadrant design (which incidentally I quite like).  

Which got me thinking - does anybody remember us playing in blue/white vertical stripes???  Think it was sometime mid-70's, briefly.

(Am still struggling badly with this season's effort...)

I realize it's only a shirt and we have bigger issues but God I hate our new home shirt. It looks like a cheap as chips generic kids league shirt. I seen one framed the other day and thought WTF - why frame that! 

24 minutes ago, Rizzo said:

Have we any friendlies planned for before the betfred cup games does anyone know? Assume there will need to be something in place but can't see anything mentioned on the website.

I doubt they will advertise any friendlies being played to deter anybody trying to turn up.

2 hours ago, Dennistoun Bairn said:

Just reading the article about Alex Duchart on the club web site; it includes a couple of interesting photos showing the team in unfamiliar strips, which I've never appreciated we had ever worn before.

I had always assumed the all-white ITC cup final strip was a complete one-off, and had never seen the Blackburn-style quadrant design (which incidentally I quite like).  

Which got me thinking - does anybody remember us playing in blue/white vertical stripes???  Think it was sometime mid-70's, briefly.

(Am still struggling badly with this season's effort...)

My avatar shows Johnny Graham wearing it scoring against QOS in 7-5 game. Had a similar strip in the mid 70`s.

That '15 cup final effort was absolutely gorgeous in every way.

Would be happy if we wore all white on a regular basis, would accept as a standard away strip.

This year's home effort is embarrassingly bad. Truly awful. Worst since the '10 relegation number and chessboard affair before that.

32 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

That '15 cup final effort was absolutely gorgeous in every way.

Would be happy if we wore all white on a regular basis, would accept as a standard away strip.

This year's home effort is embarrassingly bad. Truly awful. Worst since the '10 relegation number and chessboard affair before that.

I'm always a plainer the better when it comes to strips. If it didn't have thd stupid lines in thd middle it would be fine. You dont see clubs like celtic mucking about with their colours all you get is a different collar  and minimum else. Don't know why we have to keep pissing about with ours.

The last 2 seasons strips have been quite good but the one with the steeple in the middle will be forever tarnished with the dugmeat that wore it on the park, but tend ot agree with the plainer the better.  Though i liked the hummel strips but the quality of them was pretty poor

My avatar shows Johnny Graham wearing it scoring against QOS in 7-5 game. Had a similar strip in the mid 70`s.

That’s my favourite game of all time. Have zero memory of us wearing stripes that day. Don’t know why I don’t remember it from that day, but it would make sense if Queens were wearing their pale blue shirts.

42 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

The last 2 seasons strips have been quite good but the one with the steeple in the middle will be forever tarnished with the dugmeat that wore it on the park, but tend ot agree with the plainer the better.  Though i liked the hummel strips but the quality of them was pretty poor

I really liked those two strips, thought they did a great job with a unique design. Definitely a real shame the seasons they'll be associated with but i'm surprised we've not got something similar this year.

I'm a big fan of the plain ones too but I wonder if there's a marketing strategy to not always having the plain strips though as people are less likely to buy a near identical strip every year.

The chequered one was hideous  but the lucky red away one made up for it not to mention look at the bairns at that time Chris Waddle for one, i dont think we will ever see signings like them again for all the buzz they created

image.png.e72c0cd3a450a548bd51ca8e08b6f885.png

33 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

That’s my favourite game of all time. Have zero memory of us wearing stripes that day. Don’t know why I don’t remember it from that day, but it would make sense if Queens were wearing their pale blue shirts.

My first game. Its been downhill ever since.

Honestly I didn't imagine this but I remember one home game at Brockville in the late 70's we played in a light blue and yellow top.  I think it was striped.  It wasn't the away strip that season it was completely unexpected and never worn again as far as I can remember.  I've never been able to find a photo of it anywhere. 

This seasons strip would have been nice had the front been plain navy blue instead of the dogs dinner they went with.  

In the last 30 years our most exciting teams have played in strips with red shoulders - the Jeffries era and the Latapy/Gow/Stokes season.  We should be revisiting that look to recreate the feel good factor in fans memories of those teams.  

33 minutes ago, Long Suffering Bairn said:

Honestly I didn't imagine this but I remember one home game at Brockville in the late 70's we played in a light blue and yellow top.  I think it was striped.  It wasn't the away strip that season it was completely unexpected and never worn again as far as I can remember.  I've never been able to find a photo of it anywhere. 

Remember that strip well as it was so unusual for us. Yellow top and light blue shorts. Don`t remember the exact year but I seem to remember Joe MacCallan wearing it which would put it about 77-79.