The Falkirk FC Thread

We seem keen to shoehorn players into positions on here. Miller doesn't have the pace to play centre half or especially right back.  If we get injuries we need to able to cover them without making us weaker.  Thats why we need at least one more centre back preferably one that can cover right back. Millers your captain and his best position is defensive mid so that's where he needs to play.  At the moment we're light in wide players especially one with pace. That and a centreback should be the priority. Id also like more creativity in the middle of the park but m and m having for some crazy reason signed up telfer have reduced our options in that area.

13 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

We seem keen to shoehorn players into positions on here. Miller doesn't have the pace to play centre half or especially right back.  If we get injuries we need to able to cover them without making us weaker.  Thats why we need at least one more centre back preferably one that can cover right back. Millers your captain and his best position is defensive mid so that's where he needs to play.  At the moment we're light in wide players especially one with pace. That and a centreback should be the priority. Id also like more creativity in the middle of the park but m and m having for some crazy reason signed up telfer have reduced our options in that area.

Telfer, Todd and Connolly will be our wide options this year which is disappointing but if Mercer can get forward and cross a bit better than Doyle, that'll lead to a few goals i'm sure.  Amazing how many crosses we wasted per game last year. 

If we do bring in any more players I'd expect them to be a back up keeper and defensive cover. 

Edited by Proudtobeabairn

1 hour ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

I don’t think we need another centre back.

weve got Durban, Hall, Dixon and Miller who can all play in that position

Formation depending, if 3 at the back then you'd definitely need another one in for sure and tbh I think we will anyhow. Two of the above will more than likely be in starting positions elsewhere. 

When Miller last season dropped back, we missed him in the middle of the park.

I wonder if we could Scott McKenzie Gomis 

29 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

I can't see how we'll play with a number 10 this season if Dowds and Keena are going to be starting upfront. Unless we play with a back 3 and go 3-5-2 and if that was the case I'd much rather see Connolly in that position.

3-5-2 depends on the wingbacks having the engine and the stamina to get up and down the park all game. Laverty-Sneddon Left and  Connolly-Mercer Right would be the options if they are up to it. Miller sitting deep in the middle leaves two positions. Box to box player and a creator and there is your workable midfield five that could supply the chances to Dowds and Keene and score a few themselves.

If it works for once FFC dominate games from the kick off, something FFC sadly have not done for a few seasons.

6 minutes ago, CC52 FFC said:

Durnan and Hall were fine once M and M came in and Buchanan dropped out. Our problem last season, wasn’t scoring enough goals. 

Our problem last season was not being able to break teams down. We're in dire need of some creativity now that the two main strikers are signed up.

6 minutes ago, CC52 FFC said:

Durnan and Hall were fine once M and M came in and Buchanan dropped out. Our problem last season, wasn’t scoring enough goals. 

We scored the most goals in the league and conceded the fewest. I think our biggest problem last season was having a plan B if we couldn’t break a team down. We seen how vital Miller was giving us another option up front when McManus was having an off day. Sammon and McMillan were like a man down. 

Scored the most goals and conceded the least in the league last year. Our problem was partially losing every single game to Clyde, but mainly not doing it in the games against Airdrie and Raith, our ‘rivals’. That mentality has to change next year.

16 minutes ago, Trump said:

Scored the most goals and conceded the least in the league last year. Our problem was partially losing every single game to Clyde, but mainly not doing it in the games against Airdrie and Raith, our ‘rivals’. That mentality has to change next year.

Granted we scored the most goals but that was masked in the fact we had 3 or 4 games where we scored 5+. Too many 1-1’s or 0-0’s. 

50 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

Telfer, Todd and Connolly will be our wide options this year which is disappointing but if Mercer can get forward and cross a bit better than Doyle, that'll lead to a few goals i'm sure.  Amazing how many crosses we wasted per game last year. 

If we do bring in any more players I'd expect them to be a back up keeper and defensive cover. 

We need pace in the side. They are all slow plodders. If we don't get some pace in we'll struggle again. 

7 hours ago, sirscottyoung said:

Mr McKinnon went in for him was what I said. Trying to hijack the deal. I also posted pre Falkirk that the signing would be today.

But hey take from what what you will.

2/3 signings called the exact day and time of announcement 🤣🤣🤣

Want to know who else you guys are talking to as well...

to be fair you were late to keena...

5 hours ago, Reggie Perrin said:

The day it all started going tits up.

4 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Went through there buzzing. Glorious day, early goal had me thinking this was going to be a glory season LOL.

Fast forward 85 minutes...… Fucking hell. We really lost the plot that day.

2 mins...Here we go!

46Mins....We've gifted them the lead.

90 mins...That's got relegation written all over it!

Ray lasting till the following season was our biggest problem. 

23pts out of 42

29/42 from M&M was an improvement albeit pissing with McKinnons cock. The Rookies would've been 5pts clear if they mirrored points total. It was harder to not win the league as far as I'm concerned and we would've bar the flu thing 😉

I expect Partick to be better than Raith this season, here is hoping they have a slow start.

Ray lasting till the following season was our biggest problem. 
23pts out of 42
29/42 from M&M was an improvement albeit pissing with McKinnons cock. The Rookies would've been 5pts clear if they mirrored points total. It was harder to not win the league as far as I'm concerned and we would've bar the flu thing [emoji6]
I expect Partick to be better than Raith this season, here is hoping they have a slow start.

Well, turgid as Raith were last season, we flapped and floundered around for the entirety of the season, never convincing anyone that we were any better. Every time we feel as though we have hit rock bottom, someone finds a bigger shovel, and off we go again.

We are pretty much in a collective place where coming second in the fizzy pop league will be seen as progress. That’s quite a demise. Last season proved (yet again) that well known names drifting into the last couple of years of their careers is a guarantee of absolutely nothing.

The other thing worth noting is our pathetic opening day record. Be it the top flight, championship or seaside league.......we have won nothing when we haven’t won the first fixture, and in a short season, there isn’t time to “bed in”. Fail to win the first game, and the pressure is on.

Well, turgid as Raith were last season, we flapped and floundered around for the entirety of the season, never convincing anyone that we were any better. Every time we feel as though we have hit rock bottom, someone finds a bigger shovel, and off we go again.

We are pretty much in a collective place where coming second in the fizzy pop league will be seen as progress. That’s quite a demise. Last season proved (yet again) that well known names drifting into the last couple of years of their careers is a guarantee of absolutely nothing.

The other thing worth noting is our pathetic opening day record. Be it the top flight, championship or seaside league.......we have won nothing when we haven’t won the first fixture, and in a short season, there isn’t time to “bed in”. Fail to win the first game, and the pressure is on.

This. We need to come out and pummel Montrose on day one.

Just reading the article about Alex Duchart on the club web site; it includes a couple of interesting photos showing the team in unfamiliar strips, which I've never appreciated we had ever worn before.

I had always assumed the all-white ITC cup final strip was a complete one-off, and had never seen the Blackburn-style quadrant design (which incidentally I quite like).  

Which got me thinking - does anybody remember us playing in blue/white vertical stripes???  Think it was sometime mid-70's, briefly.

(Am still struggling badly with this season's effort...)

I do have a vague memory of blue and white stripes. Maybe a false memory, but I thinking the Craig Watson/George Gibson/Dennis Setterington era.

I remember as a kid my grandfather had an old Falkirk strip. Navy blue body, but it had red sleeves. Was pretty moth eaten and falling to bits. I have no idea what happened to it.