The Falkirk FC Thread

Just now, ShaggerG said:

Hmph! Thought that would keep everyone entertained for a wee while. Clearly not! 😃

I'm old.  I can't remember what I did last week but I instinctively knew there were two Kennedy's in the photo without even thinking.   

25 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

Two players in that photo share the same surname; what is it? HSW not allowed to answer.

picture

Back row - ? ? McMillan Donaldson Rennie Wheatley  S Kennedy Harley

Middle row - Shirra ? Markie McLeod Jack J Kennedy Somner McCabe Little

Front row - Hoggan Scott Gibson Ferguson Cunningham* Setterington Manson Cattenach.

* The manager of the most exciting era I experienced as a Falkirk fan.

Anybody help with the ? players.

50 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

picture

Front row - Hoggan Scott Gibson Ferguson Cunningham* Setterington Manson Cattenach.

Looks like Mervyn Jones next to McMillan?  Beckett next to Shirra.

45 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

picture

Well done, you.

Some great memories in that lot.

Ian Harley - jet propelled.

Jimmy Jack - brilliant against us with Arbroath, rubbish for us,

Dennis Setterington- his son worked for me. The family lived in Stirling. Dennis died quite young.

Coach on left - was that Alan Cousin.

Trainer in blue - lived in Mungalhead Road - McKenzie I think - did he not commit suicide?

Hoggan and Shirra - Great stalwarts.

I’ve said on here umpteen times that we are shit at the moment and therefore we will only attract shit players. However, I would so love to be proven wrong. The mention of Stainrods’s name got me thinking, if only we could really push the boat out and sign a talismanic player in his mould, someone who could lift both the team and the fans as we languish in the 3rd tier? Somebody with a bit of swagger that could piss all over this league, just like Sir Simon did in the Championship. It would send a message of intent to PT that we really mean business this season.

It would obviously bust our salary structure just as I am sure Stainrod did when we signed him but if it gets us out of this hellhole of a league it would be worth it.

Any ideas on a player who ticks all the boxes? And would it be worth the gamble?

3 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

I’ve said on here umpteen times that we are shit at the moment and therefore we will only attract shit players. However, I would so love to be proven wrong. The mention of Stainrods’s name got me thinking, if only we could really push the boat out and sign a talismanic player in his mould, someone who could lift both the team and the fans as we languish in the 3rd tier? Somebody with a bit of swagger that could piss all over this league, just like Sir Simon did in the Championship. It would send a message of intent to PT that we really mean business this season.

It would obviously bust our salary structure just as I am sure Stainrod did when we signed him but if it gets us out of this hellhole of a league it would be worth it.

Any ideas on a player who ticks all the boxes? And would it be worth the gamble?

Anthony Stokes would be that player I think but he'll get a better move than us.

I think Stokes ego and the baggage that he'd bring would be too much for our rookie management team to handle even if there was a chance we could get him. No denying he's a class player though but I think a Jefferies or Yogi type manager would be best to keep him in check. 

38 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Well done, you.

Some great memories in that lot.

Ian Harley - jet propelled.

Jimmy Jack - brilliant against us with Arbroath, rubbish for us,

Dennis Setterington- his son worked for me. The family lived in Stirling. Dennis died quite young.

Coach on left - was that Alan Cousin.

Trainer in blue - lived in Mungalhead Road - McKenzie I think - did he not commit suicide?

Hoggan and Shirra - Great stalwarts.

Ronnie MacKenzie - was a trainer to the national team as well. I think he went with the squad to Germany in 74. 

Copied this from a post from November 2017. :

: Ian McKendrick, David Eadie, Tommy McMillan, Ally Donaldson, Stuart Rennie, Stewart Wheatley, Stewart Kennedy, Ian Harley.
Middle: Alan Cousin (Reserve Coach), Jim Shirra, Alex Beckett, John Markie, Tom McLeod, Jimmy Jack, John Kennedy, Doug Somner, Robert Laurie, Bobby Donnelly, Ronnie McKenzie (Trainer), Dinky McGill (Reserve Assistant Coach).
Bottom: Wilson Hoggan, Jim Scott, George Gibson, Alex Ferguson, Willie Cunningham (Manager), Denis Setterington, Jim Robinson, David Cattenach.

Ronnie McKenzie went to the World Cup as Scotland physio in 1974 Im sure. He gave a signed ball to Stewart Kennedy who gave it to his cousin who stayed in Boness Rd in Grangemouth. The ball used to sit pride of place in a small window upstairs looking out on Boness Rd.Sometimes long lost useless info pops into your head.

59-58 - 148 Appearances

Two much more recent players, one a cultured left sided defender/midfielder nicknamed after a Rangers player's father. Then another big favourite of mine, hard as nails with an attitude you wouldn't like to mess with. Plenty of goals too for a midfielder.

Craig McPherson (2002-2006) and David Nicholls (1999-2005)

Edited by Ranaldo Bairn

12 minutes ago, Syd Puddefoot said:

Copied this from a post from November 2017. :

: Ian McKendrick, David Eadie, Tommy McMillan, Ally Donaldson, Stuart Rennie, Stewart Wheatley, Stewart Kennedy, Ian Harley.
Middle: Alan Cousin (Reserve Coach), Jim Shirra, Alex Beckett, John Markie, Tom McLeod, Jimmy Jack, John Kennedy, Doug Somner, Robert Laurie, Bobby Donnelly, Ronnie McKenzie (Trainer), Dinky McGill (Reserve Assistant Coach).
Bottom: Wilson Hoggan, Jim Scott, George Gibson, Alex Ferguson, Willie Cunningham (Manager), Denis Setterington, Jim Robinson, David Cattenach.

Ronnie McKenzie went to the World Cup as Scotland physio in 1974 Im sure. He gave a signed ball to Stewart Kennedy who gave it to his cousin who stayed in Boness Rd in Grangemouth. The ball used to sit pride of place in a small window upstairs looking out on Boness Rd.Sometimes long lost useless info pops into your head.

Memory playing tricks, Jim Robinson between Setterington and Cattenach not Laurie as I said previously. 

2 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

58-59 - 148 Appearances

Two much more recent players, one a cultured left sided defender/midfielder nicknamed after a Rangers player's father. Then another big favourite of mine, hard as nails with an attitude you wouldn't like to mess with. Plenty of goals too for a midfielder.

Craig McPherson (2002-2006) and David Nicholls (1999-2005)

Crying out for a davie Nicholls type midfielder just now.

57 - 149 Appearances, 1992-1996.

I turned up at Brockville 10 minutes after kick off one day for a game with Dundee United, so missed the teams getting announced. We had a defender on the park I didn't recognise. The fearsome Duncan Ferguson did not get a kick all game; it must be one of the best debuts ever by a FFC player. I found out later his name was David Weir and of course he went on to have a sensational career with Hearts, Scotland, Everton and dead Rangers. My wife told me she was out for dinner with her then boyfriend long before she met me, and DW and his lass made up the table of 4. He'd just come back from the USA and she says he looked old even then! 😄 

OOFT What a pair we have here. Not actually going to say much as they are so revered among different generations of Bairns.

56-55 151 Appearances

Goals, effort and #moments from 1986-1993, it's the one and only Sam McGivern.

Classy fullback, great career culminating in World Cup 1958 and another all time legend in the '57 squad; played from 1952-1958, Alex Parker.