The Falkirk FC Thread

5 minutes ago, keithgy said:

50/50 draw was an amazing £3267 today,with the same amount going to MND,well done to all that bought a ticket.

Don't tell that tory f**k Dawson Park. Will be raging that someone has won a great prize and a charity has been given some decent money. 

If we get Keena to partner Dowds we'll potentially have an exciting goal scoring front two who are at a decent age. However with an uncreative and pedestrian midfield behind them it will hamper the chances they'll get. The midfield personnel at present doesn't provide whats required.

9 minutes ago, Syd Puddefoot said:

If we get Keena to partner Dowds we'll potentially have an exciting goal scoring front two who are at a decent age. However with an uncreative and pedestrian midfield behind them it will hamper the chances they'll get. The midfield personnel at present doesn't provide whats required.

Exactly. I cant believe some people seem to think our midfield is fine. Crazy.

13 minutes ago, Syd Puddefoot said:

3 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Exactly. I cant believe some people seem to think our midfield is fine. Crazy.

Dowds will provide some of the midfield spark with his play. He’s always going 100%, and at his best linking play forward to a scorer...which is the missing element (unless Sammon is Lazarus). Perhaps M&M view Gomis and Miller as stability in the dressing room and guidance to whatever younger players they can bring onboard. Also, if the five sub proposal is passed, those two become much more tactically useful, and can certainly move the ball forward, if not bringing it forward as much themselves. If that’s the case, a couple of young middle of the field players should be in the plans...

Just now, TxRover said:

Dowds will provide some of the midfield spark with his play. He’s always going 100%, and at his best linking play forward to a scorer...which is the missing element (unless Sammon is Lazarus). Perhaps M&M view Gomis and Miller as stability in the dressing room and guidance to whatever younger players they can bring onboard. Also, if the five sub proposal is passed, those two become much more tactically useful, and can certainly move the ball forward, if not bringing it forward as much themselves. If that’s the case, a couple of young middle of the field players should be in the plans...

Surely we'll not need that 5 subs pish. We're only playing 27 games ffs.

3 hours ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Suspect M&M will be looking to Leitch, Laverty and Sneddon to be the young legs. it would be great if they were to establish themselves.

There is nothing better than watching a young player come in and become a fixture Kingsley, Vaulks, Sibbald, Alston being recent examples. Everybody willing them on the player knows it and it drives them on. That used to be something you looked forward to every season the decline started when that stopped.

Leitch and Laverty  need to hit the ground running( if they are even any good) . Does anyone know how they fared while out on loan last season? Never heard much. I think Sneddon will take time. 

2 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Need, no...want, you probably do, especially with Miller and Gomis. Also, with 5 subs, it’s easier to get young players some game time. I would expect the Championship and Leagues One and Two to approve 5 subs for exactly that reason. It’s a no loss option for most.

2 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Think part of the reason for the 5 subs is because not everyone will have a full pre season under their belts so will tire out faster, on that though and don't quote me on this is  your not allowed to sub all 5 at individual times  (due to stoppage and time added on so 5 subs and at 3 intervals) or that was the talk about it.

As for midfield i know its a long shot but the possibility of Laverty being the midfielder just noticed Leitch is a forward, thought he was a midfielder so i reckon with the addition of keena that will be it as far as forwards go would like to see another defender in (i don't have much to any faith in Durnan)  and an attacking/creative midfielder.  I can't see Telfer being anything other than a back up which i am sure he will succeed in as he's managed to get everyones back up last season.

I would imagine the sub Goalie will either be a youth that's been freed in the hope he has a bit potential or one in on loan

Edited by AL-FFC

10 minutes ago, AL-FFC said:

Think part of the reason for the 5 subs is because not everyone will have a full pre season under their belts so will tire out faster, on that though and don't quote me on this is  your not allowed to sub all 5 at individual times  (due to stoppage and time added on so 5 subs and at 3 intervals) or that was the talk about it.

As for midfield i know its a long shot but the possibility of Laverty being the midfielder just noticed Leitch is a forward, thought he was a midfielder so i reckon with the addition of keena that will be it as far as forwards go would like to see another defender in (i don't have much to any faith in Durnan)  and an attacking/creative midfielder.  I can't see Telfer being anything other than a back up which i am sure he will succeed in as he's managed to get everyones back up last season.

I would imagine the sub Goalie will either be a youth that's been freed in the hope he has a bit potential or one in on loan

The pre season should be the same length as any other though. I can see why the epl brought it in as they had missed out 3 months and then gone into the restart without much action but theres no requirement at our level.  Subbing half your outfield side is a farce if you ask me.

44 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

Leitch and Laverty  need to hit the ground running( if they are even any good) . Does anyone know how they fared while out on loan last season? Never heard much. I think Sneddon will take time. 

Laverty hadn't played for a year due to injury and couldn't get match sharpness with us as we didn't have a reserve team. He went to Brechin, but as they were literally fighting for their existence in the league I think they needed fit battlers and didn't have the luxury of easing him in. He didn't get a lot of game time. 

Not sure what will happen this season.  The last time I saw him play was at the start of November 2018 at St Andrews in a closed-door game V Dundee Utd. McKinnon used it to assess a number of trialists and shortly after that it was announced that he'd done his ACL. So when the season commences it will be almost two years since he's played in a Falkirk shirt. 

A quick check of the online stats shows that Leitch played six games for Forfar and appears to have been a regular in their squad after joining them. No idea how well or badly he did, but if you want to inquire in their thread I'm sure someone will give an opinion. 

6 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Laverty hadn't played for a year due to injury and couldn't get match sharpness with us as we didn't have a reserve team. He went to Brechin, but as they were literally fighting for their existence in the league I think they needed fit battlers and didn't have the luxury of easing him in. He didn't get a lot of game time. 

Not sure what will happen this season.  The last time I saw him play was at the start of November 2018 at St Andrews in a closed-door game V Dundee Utd. McKinnon used it to assess a number of trialists and shortly after that it was announced that he'd done his ACL. So when the season commences it will be almost two years since he's played in a Falkirk shirt. 

A quick check of the online stats shows that Leitch played six games for Forfar and appears to have been a regular in their squad after joining them. No idea how well or badly he did, but if you want to inquire in their thread I'm sure someone will give an opinion. 

I think Laverty's more a case of goodwill from the club I don't expect him to be involved much although I hope to be proved wrong on that one as we'd all love to see a  youngster of our own doing well. Leitch looks to have been used as a right midfielder at Forfar so it'll be interesting to see what their fans thought of him. I can only remember his cameo's in the preseason friendlies where he looked good but I suppose everyone up's their game when they are playing for a contract.

On 31/07/2020 at 11:24, Ryan-FFC said:

Bainsfordbairn can you shed any light on the keena situation?

No, other than pointing to this quotation from David Oliver on the Falkirk Herald website. 

"Fans are still waiting on confirmation that the club’s fourth summer signing has been finalised.

A move for striker Aidan Keena from Hartlepool is all but complete, but the deal was not quite over the line when The Falkirk Herald went to press last night.

It is understood the forward, once of Hearts and Dunfermline, has agreed personal terms with the Bairns after negotiating his release from English National league side Hartlepool United

...there are added steps which must be taken before the Irish under-21 cap can be officially pronounced a Falkirk player" 

I think DO has pretty much nailed it. 

10 minutes ago, Bantabairn said:

Once the minor issues are sorted, Keena will be announced as our fourth signing. 

Will be good to see this getting over the line. How minor are the issues given that it’s now been a week since the Hartlepool manager announced that the deal was done?