The Falkirk FC Thread

5 minutes ago, AGPar said:

Running scared of 2 away games at Partick ffs. Just close the doors. I must have imagined our abysmal, atrocious, despicable, shit-the-bed record in so-called big home games for years and years and years and years. We'd have a much better chance of promotion with 27 aways. No doubt the usual suspects will be along shortly with their "no easy games, tight little away ground, community club, wind whipping off the North Sea on a cold Tuesday night" garbage. Excuses are about the only thing we are not lacking in these days. Would give anything for a tenth of the confidence and swagger that a Jefferies or McCall had their Falkirk teams playing with (and that was at least a tier higher and, in the case of JJ, two). Instead, reduced to playing shit-scared, safety first, a point-is-more-than acceptable dross against the likes of Clyde under both the current management and the previous one. If we're not committed to going full throttle to rip this appalling league up from day one, then it's GTF time again, for both players and management. No margin for yet another one of our speciality slow starts. See where we are after the first nine games and make decisions from there. Not interested in any more excuses.

Agree, we should be setting out our stall, this is how we are going to play - try and stop us. That's what the great Willie Cunningham did with his team home and away.

Be bold and go for it from kick off every game. 3-5-2 and pummel the opposition.

Mutch

Durnan - Hall - Dixon

Mercer - G Miller - ? - ? - Sneddon

Dowd - ?

If we have the two athletic wingbacks we hope we have that can get up the park and importantly back to turn the defense into a back 5 when required. Coupled with Miller as a holding player we are nearly there. If we get Alston and McKenna it looks an even more attractive option. If you have possession in the opposition half then that is the best defense.

Enough of this lets settle into the game for the first 15 minutes nonsense we endured for the last few seasons.

17 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Agree, we should be setting out our stall, this is how we are going to play - try and stop us. That's what the great Willie Cunningham did with his team home and away.

Be bold and go for it from kick off every game. 3-5-2 and pummel the opposition.

Mutch

Durnan - Hall - Dixon

Mercer - G Miller - ? - ? - Sneddon

Dowd - ?

If we have the two athletic wingbacks we hope we have that can get up the park and importantly back to turn the defense into a back 5 when required. Coupled with Miller as a holding player we are nearly there. If we get Alston and McKenna it looks an even more attractive option. If you have possession in the opposition half then that is the best defense.

Enough of this lets settle into the game for the first 15 minutes nonsense we endured for the last few seasons.

Cant see Sneddon going from squad player in the juniors to a automatic starter in league 1. Could be wrong but I think he's a cheap back up for the odd game Dixon doesn't play.

5 minutes ago, FalkirkLad said:

Cant see Sneddon going from squad player in the juniors to a automatic starter in league 1. Could be wrong but I think he's a cheap back up for the odd game Dixon doesn't play.

Yes very possible ! but this a a standard he could well step up to, all depends on the training and bounce games in the next few weeks. Would love to see us taking games by the scruff of the neck.

2 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I agree that financially this is an issue, I just made a similar comment in the Airdrie thread. Losing out on 2 home games against Falkirk and Thistle is huge for us financially. Back of cigarette packet arithmetic suggest we'll lose around £25-30k from those games being away and not at home (potentially far more if they were towards the end of the season with bigger away support). That's the equivalent of salaries of 2 or 3 good players at this level. In a playing sense I'd rather play away, our away record has been better than home in recent years anyway.

Anyway, the point is that this was unavoidable this season, some clubs have got luckier than others but as long as the fixtures were randomly allocated then no-one has any real grounds for complaint. The fixture compilers would have tied themselves in knots if they had to take into account the playing and financial implications of every club's fixtures. I think we have to just accept they aren't totally fair and get on with it.

IDK about “luckier”, I just muddled over the League One numbers in the same way I looked at the Championship schedule and it looks much less balanced over here. Using last year’s averages to position the teams average attendance 1-10, we end up with Falkirk, Thistle, Airdrie, Clyde, East Fife, Cove, Peterhead, Montrose, Dumbarton and Forfar. Now Cove might move above East Fife having moved up a division, but it’s a minor fudge.

Adding those numbers, and then dividing by the 4 or 5 games, we get the following average attendance positions...which is of course for home matches, but serves as a useful proxy for visiting fans totals (* means five home games in last nine, and yes, the longer drive for Peterhead is ignored):

Peterhead - 7.5

East Fife - 6.8*

Airdrie - 6.25

Falkirk - 6.2*

Cove - 5.8*

Clyde - 5.6*

Forfar - 5.4

Thistle - 5.0*

Montrose - 4.8

Dumbarton - 3.4

Of the lot, Peterhead seem to have clearly got the shaft, with East Fife a close second. Airdrie are similar to Falkirk but have one less home game, so are slightly more shafted. Thistle definitely got handled better, in the Championship, the five teams with the extra home game were all in the lowest six attendance averages. 

Edited by TxRover

IDK, just muddled over the League One numbers in the same way I looked at the Championship schedule and it looks much less balanced over here. The schedule doesn’t do decent job of portioning out the expected attendances. Using last year’s averages to position the teams average attendance 1-10, we end up with Falkirk, Thistle, Airdrie, Clyde, East Fife, Cove, Peterhead, Montrose, Dumbarton and Forfar. Now Cove might move above East Fife having moved up a division, but it’s a minor fudge.

Adding those numbers, and then dividing by the 4 or 5 games, we get the following average attendance positions...which is of course for home matches, but serves as a useful proxy for visiting fans totals (* means five home games in last nine, and yes, the longer drive for Peterhead is ignored):

Peterhead - 7.5

East Fife - 6.8*

Airdrie - 6.25

Falkirk - 6.2*

Cove - 5.8*

Clyde - 5.6*

Forfar - 5.4

Thistle - 5.0*

Montrose - 4.8

Dumbarton - 3.4

Of the lot, Peterhead seem to have clearly got the shaft, with East Fife a close second. Airdrie are similar to Falkirk but have one less home game, so are slightly more shafted. Thistle definitely got handled better, in the Championship, the five teams with the extra home game were all in the lowest six attendance averages. 

What the actual f**k is going on here?

15 minutes ago, FalkirkLad said:

Think that aswell. I'd also be tempted to sign a right back as back up for Mercer, can't help but think we have wasted a wage on resigning Telfer, and Leitch and Laverty from last season. The chances of both of them pulling up trees are slim and none. Hope to be proved wrong. 

6 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

Think that aswell. I'd also be tempted to sign a right back as back up for Mercer, can't help but think we have wasted a wage on resigning Telfer, and Leitch and Laverty from last season. The chances of both of them pulling up trees are slim and none. Hope to be proved wrong. 

M&M must see something in Telfer , Leitch and Laverty to convince them that they have a chance. Every player should be bursting a gut to hold down a place. But these three know it's a a make or break season for them. Hope they make it !

Shadwells continous, one man crusade, to highlight the clear regime in place to drive Falkirk down the division is truly remarkable.

The first game back with fans will be an away game and thatll be yet another notch in his conspiratorial bedpost.

37 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
39 minutes ago, TxRover said:
IDK, just muddled over the League One numbers in the same way I looked at the Championship schedule and it looks much less balanced over here. The schedule doesn’t do decent job of portioning out the expected attendances. Using last year’s averages to position the teams average attendance 1-10, we end up with Falkirk, Thistle, Airdrie, Clyde, East Fife, Cove, Peterhead, Montrose, Dumbarton and Forfar. Now Cove might move above East Fife having moved up a division, but it’s a minor fudge.

Peterhead - 7.5

East Fife - 6.8*

Airdrie - 6.25

Falkirk - 6.2*

Cove - 5.8*

Clyde - 5.6*

Forfar - 5.4

Thistle - 5.0*

Montrose - 4.8

Dumbarton - 3.4

What the actual f**k is going on here?

I tried to see if it was braille...

#stiillnonethewiser

44 minutes ago, TxRover said:

IDK about “luckier”, I just muddled over the League One numbers in the same way I looked at the Championship schedule and it looks much less balanced over here. Using last year’s averages to position the teams average attendance 1-10, we end up with Falkirk, Thistle, Airdrie, Clyde, East Fife, Cove, Peterhead, Montrose, Dumbarton and Forfar. Now Cove might move above East Fife having moved up a division, but it’s a minor fudge.

Peterhead - 7.5

East Fife - 6.8*

Airdrie - 6.25

Falkirk - 6.2*

Cove - 5.8*

Clyde - 5.6*

Forfar - 5.4

Thistle - 5.0*

Montrose - 4.8

Dumbarton - 3.4

No surprise hearts got 14 home games as well. Who would've thought it.

Gary Deans has done a great job of convincing the mouth breathers in our support who inhabit that Facebook page that the likes of Peterhead and Clyde are at fault for our club being in League One again rather than a decade of gross mismanagement by the owners and their stooges.

5 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Gary Deans has done a great job of convincing the mouth breathers in our support who inhabit that Facebook page that the likes of Peterhead and Clyde are at fault for our club being in League One again rather than a decade of gross mismanagement by the owners and their stooges.

He seems to be making the right noises but our predicament is like you say down to the MSG and their decision making and gross mismanagement.  I'm still hopeful we will get some sort of change but thank f**k the coffee /Property/Taxi baron is off the scene.  

We need change at the top though.

He seems to be making the right noises but our predicament is like you say down to the MSG and their decision making and gross mismanagement.  I'm still hopeful we will get some sort of change but thank f**k the coffee /Property/Taxi baron is off the scene.  

Still cannot comprehend how the decision makers at our club gave that ridiculous individual the time of day far less agreed to sell the club to him.

I remember being at one of the meet the fans events arranged with him and the stench of bullshit was overpowering.

The members of the MSG arent stupid. They are folk who have made a lot of money and most folk who do well in business are cynical and ruthless. They are arrogant though and for a long time misjudged the type of communication needed to get fans onside. They have now landed on Gary Deans for the job who, going by the fact that plenty have bought into what he says, has been a successful appointment.

I think he speaks well. He speaks clearly and passionately and answers questions thoroughly. But you cant escape from the fact that the answers he gives are those of the MSG. He doesnt have the power to do anything other than spin their words into something we as fans find palatable.

All of the above makes it pretty irrelevant, other than the fact that it is refreshing for their contempt for us fans not to be dripping out of every statement, leaving us a laughing stock.

I would be happy enough for him to remain as chairman post-change of leadership, because he does speak well. But until its someones else working him from the back, he is just another one of them.

2 hours ago, AGPar said:

Running scared of 2 away games at Partick ffs. Just close the doors. I must have imagined our abysmal, atrocious, despicable, shit-the-bed record in so-called big home games for years and years and years and years. We'd have a much better chance of promotion with 27 aways. No doubt the usual suspects will be along shortly with their "no easy games, tight little away ground, community club, wind whipping off the North Sea on a cold Tuesday night" garbage. Excuses are about the only thing we are not lacking in these days. Would give anything for a tenth of the confidence and swagger that a Jefferies or McCall had their Falkirk teams playing with (and that was at least a tier higher and, in the case of JJ, two). Instead, reduced to playing shit-scared, safety first, a point-is-more-than acceptable dross against the likes of Clyde under both the current management and the previous one. If we're not committed to going full throttle to rip this appalling league up from day one, then it's GTF time again, for both players and management. No margin for yet another one of our speciality slow starts. See where we are after the first nine games and make decisions from there. Not interested in any more excuses.

Yes!!