The Falkirk FC Thread

17 hours ago, Long Suffering Bairn said:

Possible the coming season will interrupted enough times to make it a farce.  Seven non-playing staff at St.Mirren have covid.  That might just be the first time this happens this coming season and not the last.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53521306

9 hours ago, Hank von Hell said:

It looks like the Premiership clubs are making an arse of it already , or trying to flout the rules.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rangers-face-sfa-probe-governing-22406580

This does not auger well for the lower leagues kicking off in terms of relaxing of testing & crowds being allowed in if the Scottish Gov come down hard.   

6 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Typical Scottish football. So bloody amateurish. I've not heard one issue from down south re testing results not being back in time or clubs playing without players being tested. Its embarrassing stuff especially when you add in that St Mirren are now in lockdown. No wonder we can't get sponsors etc to get involved in our game.

The question I haven’t seen answered anywhere is are there ANY rules or instructions with regards to the upcoming (and future) season(s) if it is halted prematurely. After the farce that was 2019-2020 ending with votes, no votes, perhaps votes and such, the Rule changes I saw seemed to specifically address that season. Is the SPFL dumb enough to not consider the possibility it happens again and NOT plan for it?

Edited by TxRover

4 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

All being said a right back's not going to win you games so if he does a job defensively then i'm happy enough. I'm more interested in who we're going to see lining up in front of him. 

For years people were saying with a decent right back we’d have a great team (Houston years) 

5 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

All being said a right back's not going to win you games so if he does a job defensively then i'm happy enough. I'm more interested in who we're going to see lining up in front of him. 

I agree. Doyles deficiencies were shown up by having no real width in front of him. If we sign a decent right winger then if mercer is solid defensively he'll do fine. A right winger is a must though.

48 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

QOTS fans seemed more upset at losing Doyle than Mercer - worrying 

Our fans routinely over-rated Doyle because he was such a terrific character. He is also far more versatile. Doyle is a functional right back but for me he is a better centre half. I would rate Mercer a better right back. He can cover left back if need be but he is fundamentally a right back and nothing else. Not the fastest and was torn apart by Lewis Morgan a couple of times but became a solid reliable full back at Championship levwl. Definitely one I didnt want to lose.

11 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

If he can perform to doyles standard then why the feck did we not just keep doyle? He needs to be an improvement on doyle.

M&M could be thinking of a 3-5-2   ? Durnan - Hall - Dixon then they could use the new signings Mercer and Sneddon as wingbacks. 

Maybe not every game but horses for courses.

45 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

M&M could be thinking of a 3-5-2   ? Durnan - Hall - Dixon then they could use the new signings Mercer and Sneddon as wingbacks. 

Maybe not every game but horses for courses.

Sneddon one for the future surely. Wasnt a regular for camelon last season so I cant see us starting him.

Dixon will be our left back starter and if Sneddens up to much i'd imagine he'll get phased into the team. If the Keena talk is true i'll be more than happy and with 8 goals in 12 games at this level he'll have the 'proven goalscorer' lot reaching for their kleenex.

56 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Our fans routinely over-rated Doyle because he was such a terrific character. He is also far more versatile. Doyle is a functional right back but for me he is a better centre half. I would rate Mercer a better right back. He can cover left back if need be but he is fundamentally a right back and nothing else. Not the fastest and was torn apart by Lewis Morgan a couple of times but became a solid reliable full back at Championship levwl. Definitely one I didnt want to lose.

Gets you far in Scottish football, maybe work his way onto open goal one day.

1 hour ago, FFC 1876 said:

Did you watch Liverpool v Chelsea ? Both full backs involved in all 5 goals

The modern game has more emphasis on full backs being creative nowadays at all levels.

Farid could probably notch a dozen or so of his goals for us off without Duffie..

Doyle wasn't the worst for me albeit sometimes a bit crazy with daft challenges but he was clueless in the last third which can make the difference. He had the engine to get up and down but no point if he is as good as putting the ball out with his delivery/decision making.

55 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Sneddon one for the future surely. Wasnt a regular for camelon last season so I cant see us starting him.

We are in the third tier now, if he is good enough, nothing should stop him. The juniors is more of a man's game of experienced players, rarely you hear of young talent being given a chance in the juniors. 

Edited by MrDust