The Falkirk FC Thread

1 hour ago, ShaggerG said:

If the remaining 5 or 6 slots go to players of the required quality, I wouldn't expect any of them to be on 1 year contracts. They would have to be 2 year deals to get them in (with the usual no promotion clauses built in).

At the end of the day, we're a L1 club for now so attracting players that would be considered good quality Championship players is going to be extremely difficult with the affordability levels that we have. It's probably a bit idealistic from me I suppose but we've got to try to be ambitious to get us up. 

In these unprecedented circumstances,  I would expect most contracts offered by clubs to have get out clauses for worse case scenarios.  Beginning to come round to the idea of 2 - 3 signings then the rest part time. In fact some good players may prefer part time as a fall back.

Can you imagine the St Mirren scenario mid season good grief. Teams they played in the last 14 days then the teams these teams played into lockdown. Very quickly the season could grind to a halt. Not having a go at St Mirren ( poor sods ) and this is not a gloat fest ! far from it as it could happen to any club and suspect it won't be the last.

Go Canny !

1 hour ago, ShaggerG said:

If the remaining 5 or 6 slots go to players of the required quality, I wouldn't expect any of them to be on 1 year contracts. They would have to be 2 year deals to get them in (with the usual no promotion clauses built in).

At the end of the day, we're a L1 club for now so attracting players that would be considered good quality Championship players is going to be extremely difficult with the affordability levels that we have. It's probably a bit idealistic from me I suppose but we've got to try to be ambitious to get us up. 

Here's the problem, due to mismanagement both on and off the field we are now a shitty L1 club, albeit full time for now,  who will probably only attract jobbers coming to the end of their careers and looking for a final payday - if we stick to our old strategy.

Maybe time to try another approach - sign young, hungry players on a one year, part-time contract with the board of directors offering them jobs outside of football to augment their income. If, and for me it's a big if, we get promoted then renegotiate with them a full time contract, providing they have proved themselves and are good enough. I am hopeful that due to the pandemic and other clubs struggling more than us that this might be the way to go, that we can actually compete with the Arbroaths and the Alloas 😪

I remember us being part-time and in the 3rd tier back in the 70s and it was horrible but we are where we are.

7 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

with the board of directors offering them jobs outside of football to augment their income.

Is Lex Miller not a plumber?

*Here son, sign with us and we'll give you a tenner an hour to clear blocked lavatories* 

I'm not sure how appealing that would be. 🙃

3 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Is Lex Miller not a plumber?

*Here son, sign with us and we'll give you a tenner an hour to clear blocked lavatories* 

I'm not sure how appealing that would be. 🙃

More appealing than the poor b*****d that had to clean the hope street bogs at brockville. If they were even cleaned.

17 minutes ago, sick boy said:

Aidan K 👀👀👀

Keena? Would be a class signing IMO definitely worth a go in this league.

Not seen much of Mercer but those farmers down in Dumfries love to overrate their players. Starter in the league above us for years so shouldn't complain eh.

7 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Keena? Would be a class signing IMO definitely worth a go in this league.

Not seen much of Mercer but those farmers down in Dumfries love to overrate their players. Starter in the league above us for years so shouldn't complain eh.

All I'll say is that if you think we overrate players then a lot of the opinions you'll see on him will have you fearing the absolute worst.

He started poorly with us, but has grown in to an acceptable championship fullback. No more, no less.

Was never particularly impressed with Mercer in games against us for QoS I’m sure I can remember Petravicius continually rinsing him in a 3-0 home win couple of seasons ago but that is only a very small sample size and he was virtually an ever present in the championship for a few years and done really well last time he was at this level with East Fife. At the very least he’s surely an upgrade on Doyle.

17 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

All I'll say is that if you think we overrate players then a lot of the opinions you'll see on him will have you fearing the absolute worst.

He started poorly with us, but has grown in to an acceptable championship fullback. No more, no less.

Doyle or Mercer, who's best?