The Falkirk FC Thread

1 minute ago, Ecosse83 said:

Didn't we only lose 1 game in the league with them as managers? Maybe the issues aren't as bad as you think!

We need to be far better than last season to beat partick to the title. The same midfield again won't cut it and was horrible to watch last season. Far too many draws.

2 minutes ago, Moutinho said:

For me it’s got to be Gomis or Miller in centre midfield beside someone more attacking. Gomis seems like a waste of a wage- we could have brought in a cheaper backup to Miller and used the funds elsewhere. 

you cant play gomis and miller. That was one of the main problems last season. Every time we came up against a clyde or airdrie with young vibrant midfields we struggled badly.

Just now, Donathan said:

I wonder if Miller might go back to RB this season where he’s played most of his career given that Doyle has moved on

Mutch

Miller - Hall - Durnan - Dixon

Todd - Telfer - Gomis - Connolly

Dowds - New signing/Sammon/BSLM

David and Lee were clear in their interview last week that they see Miller as a defensive midfielder.

I think we’ll make 5 more signings- a back up goalkeeper, a right back, a centre back, a winger and a striker.

The lack of pace in the midfield is what’s worrying me.

5 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

you cant play gomis and miller. That was one of the main problems last season. Every time we came up against a clyde or airdrie with young vibrant midfields we struggled badly.

And one of those young, vibrant midfielders has just knocked back an offer from Clyde, is a free agent and, like Dowds, looking for a crack at full-time. He'd make a huge difference to our midfield.

10 minutes ago, Donathan said:

I wonder if Miller might go back to RB this season where he’s played most of his career given that Doyle has moved on

Mutch

Miller - Hall - Durnan - Dixon

Todd - Telfer - Gomis - Connolly

Dowds - New signing/Sammon/BSLM

I know you're only working with who we currently have signed at the moment but hopefully that won't be anywhere near the starting line up come the 6th of October. Miller will be in centre midfield and hopefully if m&m have learned from last season not with Gomis. I've not really seen much of Todd to work out what his best position is but i'm pretty sure him and Telfer are pretty similar in that they aren't fast enough to be wingers and they are too soft to play in the middle of the park.

Edited by FFC 1876

Guest Ecosse83
1 minute ago, Moutinho said:

David and Lee were clear in their interview last week that they see Miller as a defensive midfielder.

I think we’ll make 5 more signings- a back up goalkeeper, a right back, a centre back, a winger and a striker.

The lack of pace in the midfield is what’s worrying me.

I'd like to see some pace as well to be fair but if they can get them playing in a way with quick passing and good movement then that beats pace every time. 

Miller is far too slow to play right back now ffs. We'd have been as well  with doyle in that case.   Gomis struggled to last 60 mins last season so should be an option off the bench and no more. We need a decent winger with pace and at least one younger centre mid . An attacking right back and a pure goal scoring type striker are also needed.  Another centre half  plus im not sure we should be relying on a young left back that got knocked back from our academy on a number of occasions and couldn't get a regular game for camelon last season as our only cover in that position.  Cant see him being anywhere near ready for the first team.  At the moment we're worse than last season so a massive amount of work to do still.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

Guest Ecosse83

Let's forget the idea of Miller RB, it's already been said in and interview the will be playing in front of the back 4. 

They might play Gomis and Miller together as sitting mids in some of the tougher away games, apart from that they shouldn't be in the same team!

15 minutes ago, AGPar said:

And one of those young, vibrant midfielders has just knocked back an offer from Clyde, is a free agent and, like Dowds, looking for a crack at full-time. He'd make a huge difference to our midfield.

If you're talking about Ray Grant I think he's a shoe in to sign on with his old buddy brother at Queens Park. Then there's mcstay who there was some talk of us being after last summer which doesn't fill me with confidence given our signings last season were more miss than hit.

I'd like to see some pace as well to be fair but if they can get them playing in a way with quick passing and good movement then that beats pace every time. 
We didnt have loads of pace in Houstons teams either. like you say, move the fucking ball and that does the trick. Move the fucking ball is surely in the top shouts at TFS in the last few years.... We have this long running theme of being ponderous as f**k in possession. I mention Houstons team because in his last full season we had the rage inducing habit of doing f**k all until after half time at which point we seemed to begin to shift the ball quicker and actually got somewhere.

Resigning Telfer is a waste of a wage. Midfield is key to everything and we have at the moment pretty much the same personnel. We can all see we needed youth and energy in there which at present we don't have .

Dowds sounds promising but will need a decent partner and to hit the ground running. And he looks like Tim Nice But Dim.

Edited by Syd Puddefoot

4 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
33 minutes ago, Ecosse83 said:

We didnt have loads of pace in Houstons teams either. like you say, move the fucking ball and that does the trick. Move the fucking ball is surely in the top shouts at TFS in the last few years.... We have this long running theme of being ponderous as f**k in possession. I mention Houstons team because in his last full season we had the rage inducing habit of doing f**k all until after half time at which point we seemed to begin to shift the ball quicker and actually got somewhere.

We had vaulks though. He drove you forward with  loads of energy  unfortunately we dont have anyone like him never mind as good obviously.

5 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
33 minutes ago, Ecosse83 said:

Houston had lots of pace throughout the team and signed loads of fast players- Hippolyte, Smith, Cooper, Austin, McHugh and Aird just off the top of my head. He also often played players with pace already at the club like Leahy, Shepherd and O’Hara.

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

Post Vaulks

Post vaulks we were far more ponderous and slow in the middle of the park. Alston was another one that always went forward. The year after both they left we were never the same in an attacking sense.

I doubt we'll bother wasting a wage on a back up goalie so unless we pick up a really cheap option we'll most likely get one in on loan again. I'm happy with a Dowds type signing someone who's not the finished article but there's clearly potential there to develop on with full time football. Dundee United were brilliant at it for years picking up the hidden gems in the lower leagues that's what we need to aspire to as we don't really have the money or the position right now to bring players up from down south.