The Falkirk FC Thread

24 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Hope for some signing soon then.

One weeks season ticket sales so they have an idea of income. Five weeks till September friendlies.

Just hope it not the usual last ditch signing of the left overs.

Five weeks to preseason. The first friendly is usually a week to ten days beyond that. And about twelve weeks until the league kicks off.

There's plenty of time. If you want guaranteed early signings, we could always pay over the odds to bring up ex-academy players from England and then pay to put them in digs. Paul Hartley made plenty of early signings in the summer of 2018. Then when he got them in for preseason he realised they were shit and had to splash out again on Scottish players  he knew personally - Dylan Mackin, Marcus Haber, Andrew Irving & Mark Russell. 

I don't care about "soon". Right is more important.  

We recruited thirteen players before the season kicked off last year. The twelfth one joined when the League Cup campaign was already underway. Being so late, he might qualify as a "last ditch signing of the left-overs". It didn't stop him scoring 24 goals. 

Not a dig at you BTW. Just pointing out some parallels with the past. 

5 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Five weeks to preseason. The first friendly is usually a week to ten days beyond that. And about twelve weeks until the league kicks off.

There's plenty of time. If you want guaranteed early signings, we could always pay over the odds to bring up ex-academy players from England and then pay to put them in digs. Paul Hartley made plenty of early signings in the summer of 2018. Then when he got them in for preseason he realised they were shit and had to splash out again on Scottish players  he knew personally - Dylan Mackin, Marcus Haber, Andrew Irving & Mark Russell. 

We recruited thirteen players before the season kicked off last year. The twelfth one joined when the League Cup campaign was already underway. Being so late, he might qualify as a "last ditch signing of the left-overs". It didn't stop him scoring 24 goals. 

The signings Hartley made were just awful,Russell was one that just made no sense.Give the boy a deal and not play him.

57 minutes ago, keithgy said:

The signings Hartley made were just awful,Russell was one that just made no sense.Give the boy a deal and not play him.

And then McKinnon came in and wouldn't play him. We were terrible after RM first arrived and only a couple of backs-to-the-wall away results at Dunfermline and Inverness kept us from being cast adrift at the bottom of the table. Meanwhile Russell was doing extremely well every week in the reserves yet couldn't get a sniff. A bit like Shayne Lavery six months later. 

1 minute ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

And then McKinnon came in and wouldn't play him. We were terrible after RM first arrived and only a couple of backs-to-the-wall away results at Dunfermline and Inverness kept us from being cast adrift at the bottom of the table. Meanwhile Russell was doing extremely well every week in the reserves yet couldn't get a sniff. A bit like Shayne Lavery six months later. 

Do you think it was because Russell turned down deal at Morton and RM spat the dummy.

3 minutes ago, keithgy said:

Do you think it was because Russell turned down deal at Morton and RM spat the dummy.

No idea. I thought his refusal to give someone who looked decent even a chance in a terrible team was extremely strange so there may have been personal issues at play.

26 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

No idea. I thought his refusal to give someone who looked decent even a chance in a terrible team was extremely strange so there may have been personal issues at play.

It’s mental we had 3 options at left back (Brough/Robson and Russell) yet played Jordan McGhee at left back.

1 hour ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Sounds a lot like the situation with Tidser and The Backstreet Boys. 

We haven’t got a lot right or soon for 3/4 years. We have missed our top striking targets, and football man to guide M&M so already behind where we wanted to be. I hope I am wrong but I worry about what is going to turn up this season in terms of quality. Young ambitious legs a must.

15 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Not another fucking holding midfield player please

I dont think I'd class him as a holding mid from what I seen of him last season. Seemed pretty much "box to box" and pretty dynamic IIRC. Much as I like Gomis and Miller, either of them beside Grant is more appealing than both together. 

12 minutes ago, Bantabairn said:

Most of the Sundays carrying reports that October could see the return of fans to stadia. With the UK Gov (England) allowing theatres etc to open, is it possible we could actually attend games with face masks ? ( Yes understand social distancing, hand sanitizing etc) 

They are going to run ‘pilots in August in England.

As usual, we’re way behind the curve.

we have an 8000 seater stadium for a maximum of 4000 attendees.

Whats the problem?

Guest Ecosse83
5 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Whats the problem?

It would probably be easy enough for us but we're not the only club in Scotland, they will have concerns about thousands of fans using public transport to get to games? Then you have the pubs before and after the game and of course the crowds getting in and out the stadium.

It's not just as simple as distancing at the game unfortunately!

Whats the problem?

Another typical Trumpite response to addressing a crisis scenario.

We are apparently way behind England in dealing with Covid...[emoji16]

46 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

We haven’t got a lot right or soon for 3/4 years. We have missed our top striking targets, and football man to guide M&M so already behind where we wanted to be. I hope I am wrong but I worry about what is going to turn up this season in terms of quality. Young ambitious legs a must.

Who we talking about here as I can only think of Declan Mcmanus?