The Falkirk FC Thread

I want to see us pick up young players from premiership teams youth systems who want to come play first team football instead of lingering in the reserves ala Mark Millar or DKD but i'm very well aware for every one of them there's 3 Ross Perry's or Jason Marr's so it's quite hard to cherry pick. But look at Raith last season picking up Regan Hendry on a two year deal, I can't find any official stats but he definitely made things happen for them in the middle of the park. We are ultimately right now a stepping stone club so we should be selling ourselves as that to these sort of players. 

Someone with some fucking drive. Gary Miller is a leader in midfield, but I want to see someone who wants to push the team forward quickly from the middle of the park. Absolutely no excuse in this league not to have wingers and full backs bombing on as soon as we get the ball with someone in the middle who wants to use the runners rather than fanny about then play it back for Durnan to shell it up the park.

8 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I’ll make my mind up when I know what our squad will look like.

Absolutely, lets wait and see if we sign the likes of Rafa De Vita's again before we start writing off our chances of having a proper go at this league. Should hopefully start the season with a squad of at least 18 then bolstered with a few loans. Daniel Mullen's just been released from St Mirren i'd take him but then again that may be a bit beyond us.

Edited by FFC 1876

All that is required to win League One is a powerful midfield who will outrun and tire the opposition over ninety minutes and a bit of pace up top. A couple centre halfs to win your headers and it should be a cake walk from there. Looking at your current squad I'd say you have some work to do. 

As shit as they were last season Partick have most of those areas covered so might be a difficult season for you guys again. 

5 minutes ago, All-Star-Par said:

All that is required to win League One is a powerful midfield who will outrun and tire the opposition over ninety minutes and a bit of pace up top. A couple centre halfs to win your headers and it should be a cake walk from there. Looking at your current squad I'd say you have some work to do. 

As shit as they were last season Partick have most of those areas covered so might be a difficult season for you guys again. 

They have Ross Docherty and Stuart Bannigan currently signed up in the middle of the park, absolute powerhouse.

31 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

We were poor last season and still mighg have won it so I certainly wouldn't say we won't come top two. 

I think that’s overstating the case. Raith and Falkirk were both teams with significant flaws last year. Raith’s, more so than Falkirk’s, was due more to injuries, but both sides had players in positions they simply weren’t suited for. Raith’s middle carried it, in much the same way Falkirk’s stingy defence drove them up the table, except against Clyde. What Clyde had was a player who is very clearly much above League One level, and that was the problem.

With M&M established and getting the players to believe in them, I would expect Falkirk’s defending to be the same or better. Of course, this year you’ll have Partick’s attack, as well as Clyde’s, to contend with, but I’d be highly surprised if at least the Clyde situation isn’t improved upon after seeing it last year. Surely Falkirk are nearly co-favorites for the League?

P.S. Any thoughts on Jamie MacDonald’s strengths and weaknesses?

Edited by TxRover

3 minutes ago, FalkirkLad said:

They have Ross Docherty and Stuart Bannigan currently signed up in the middle of the park, absolute powerhouse.

A goalscorers the hardest thing to find, Patrick already have Rudden, Lyons and Graham who are all equally capable of scoring 10+ in this league. Whereas we have Conor Sammon who scored 7 in all competitions last season and next up was Louis Longridge on 5 in all comps. 

7 minutes ago, TxRover said:

I think that’s overstating the case. Raith and Falkirk were both teams with significant flaws last year. Raith’s, more so than Falkirk’s, was due more to injuries, but both sides had players in positions they simply weren’t suited for. Raith’s middle carried it, in much the same way Falkirk’s stingy defence drove them up the table, except against Clyde. What Clyde had was a player who is very clearly much above League One level, and that was the problem.

With M&M established and getting the players to believe in them, I would expect Falkirk’s defending to be the same or better. Of course, this year you’ll have Partick’s attack, as well as Clyde’s, to contend with, but I’d be highly surprised if at least the Clyde situation isn’t improved upon after seeing it last year. Surely Falkirk are nearly co-favorites for the League?

Strengths: Experienced

Weaknesses: Everything bar being experienced

12 minutes ago, TxRover said:

I mean we scored 4 more goals than anyone in the league so wouldn’t say a stingy defense was the basis of our success. We simply couldn’t turn up against anyone resembling a side that might not roll over for the full 6 months we played last season 

Just now, bairn88 said:

I mean we scored 4 more goals than anyone in the league so wouldn’t say a stingy defense was the basis of our success. We simply couldn’t turn up against anyone resembling a side that might not roll over for the full 6 months we played last season 

Our downfall was not having anyone who could turn a game and unlock the door for us. Although longridge is very very frustratingly ballhoggy at times he did give us that so I don't understand why we're trying to sign up Telfer having let him go. Telfer's problem is he's one of those players that doesn't exactly fit into any position on the park. He's too slow to play outwide and too soft to play in the middle of the park.

31 minutes ago, TxRover said:

P.S. Any thoughts on Jamie MacDonald’s strengths and 

Decent shot stopper. Bit shaky on crosses and prone to some real clangers. The most important being in the scottish Cup final unfortunately when he went down in installments and palmed the ball right to Vincent who scored. That will always blight his time with us.

58 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

A goalscorers the hardest thing to find, Patrick already have Rudden, Lyons and Graham who are all equally capable of scoring 10+ in this league. Whereas we have Conor Sammon who scored 7 in all competitions last season and next up was Louis Longridge on 5 in all comps. 

Sammon scored 10 in all competitions last season. If we play to his strengths rather than treating him like a target man, he could easily get more imo.

7 minutes ago, Moutinho said:

Sammon scored 10 in all competitions last season. If we play to his strengths rather than treating him like a target man, he could easily get more imo.

He's never been a goalscorer though, in fact I think his best goals to games ratio is with us! 😂

Guest Ecosse83

The more I read about the whole arbitration fiasco the more I genuinely think we might not be playing Partick next season anyway. The spfl are making an almighty balls of it!

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

MacDonald will make a wonder save at the top corner followed by letting every shot near him in.

I actually can't believe we are in talks to re sign Telfer. I hope he knocks us back to concentrate on his law career. We already have one passenger in Sammon, don't need another. 

Edited by ebobsboy

58 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

He's never been a goalscorer though, in fact I think his best goals to games ratio is with us! 😂

He  needs a striking partner to get the best out him. Not only would he score more goals he would create them as well.

Miller will know this being a similar type of player and am hopeful of an appropriate signing.