The Falkirk FC Thread

On 14/07/2020 at 15:28, gav-ffc said:

An experienced right back wouldn’t go  a miss...

Michael Miller released by Raith. 25 and plenty decent in League One, but perhaps a bit injury prone. Also, if JMcG didn’t see keeping him for the Championship, you wouldn’t be signing him for over a year.

10 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

This says to me that the two of them need help to be managers. They were appointed in November. Why are we scrambling around in July trying to get this done?

Surely if they need any help they could pick Totten's brains for advice. I don't get this director of football thing, Alex Smith was here long enough but apart from offering a few pearls of wisdom and reminiscing of days gone by like his cup final win at St. Mirren what did he actually do? 

The current board desperately need somebody with football experience IMO, we have KK, LM and 2 guys who have only recently been brought into the boardroom with no previous football experience. someone like JJ would have been an excellent appointment if you ask me, shame it never happened.

Edited by falkirkzombie

While the idea of JJ is probably a good one, surely it’s something Alex Totten could be asked to do? I don’t think it would be a full-time role if it’s just to advise the board in football matters when required.

4 minutes ago, falkirkzombie said:

The current board desperately need somebody someone with football experience IMO, we have KK, LM and 2 guys who have only recently been brought into the boardroom with no previous football experience. someone like JJ would have been an excellent appointment if you ask me, shame it never happened.

Agreed. Personally I see this news as positive, if true, as we are still actively looking for someone.
Bring back John Hughes as the Godfather, IMO.

7 minutes ago, wee_bairn said:

Agreed. Personally I see this news as positive, if true, as we are still actively looking for someone.
Bring back John Hughes as the Godfather, IMO.

Much as I love Yogi , his ego would not allow him to sit upstairs as some DOF. He also lacks certain skills required for that role plus he still has a grudge against the Falkirk BOD.  

8 hours ago, Moutinho said:

Next season will be all about controlling costs carefully and keeping outgoings to a minimum as we are down 25% to begin with before we even get to reduced season ticket sales, lower hospitality figures and probably no events etc.

Lee and David will need to work hard to find players that will be able to improve us for the very limited wages I suspect we’ll be able to offer. They will need to sell us as a stepping stone for players.

I can just imagine it - "Listen son , sign for us and you could earn a life changing move to Kelty Hearts or Dunfermline".

Don't get me started on Old Man Smith. 

We did comparatively well relative to budget when he was there when we've had a decent manager like Holt or Houston. We did poorly relative to budget when he was there when we had a dumpling like May or Pressley.

26 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Don't get me started on Old Man Smith. 

We did comparatively well relative to budget when he was there when we've had a decent manager like Holt or Houston. We did poorly relative to budget when he was there when we had a dumpling like May or Pressley.

Smith was brilliant with the academy though. He put in a hell of a lot of time down there and was great with the players coming through. 

I raised the need for more football knowledge on the bod at the first mckinnon meet the manager meeting. I was told by the then chairman that plans were in place to create a football board . I then raised it again at the egm nearly a year later and was told again by the new acting chairman that it was something that still needed looked at but nothing had been done.  Perhaps we're finally getting round to doing something about it 2 years after it was first raised. Its something we badly need as the current mob are clueless highlighted by the mess of the past 3 seasons.

1 minute ago, ebobsboy said:

I doubt Houston would want to come back given the way things went at the end and let's not forget his recruitment was in the main poor. Jefferies at least could spot a player so he would have been ideal in that sense. 

Spot on Houston whilst excellent at managing a team was let down badly by his poor signing record. Side got progressively worse the longer he was in the job.