The Falkirk FC Thread

Dowds should be a good player for Falkirk. He's certainly not a goal machine by any means but he's a good footballer, puts in an absolute shift every game, leads the line well and can link up between midfield and attack. Take a look at the highlights of our win at Tannadice in last season's Betfred. Dowds set up both goals.

15 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Dowds should be a good player for Falkirk. He's certainly not a goal machine by any means but he's a good footballer, puts in an absolute shift every game, leads the line well and can link up between midfield and attack. Take a look at the highlights of our win at Tannadice in last season's Betfred. Dowds set up both goals.

Its going to be important then to get the right partner for him up top. Someone to replace mcmanus and his goal tally must be a priority.

18 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I can only go in how they've looked against us and lyons always looked excellent. Dowds on the other hand didn't impress anywhere near so much and in the 2 0 win at tfs could only get a place on their bench, came on and did hee haw.

He was Injured and only brought on to try and save the game as we're desperate at 1-0 down

Guest Ecosse83
3 minutes ago, sirscottyoung said:

He was Injured and only brought on to try and save the game as we're desperate at 1-0 down

I've never understood folk that judge a player on 1 game!

Has the boy Dowds got a bit of pace?

21 hours ago, Ecosse83 said:

I agree with that, Raith were pretty pish so we will have to improve a good bit to challenge Partick. Will be interesting to see who else comes in. 

Yes, I made this point in the Airdrie thread recently in relation to us maybe challenging. I think it would be a mistake for Falkirk fans to think they were close last season (and would probably have won it IMO) and therefore it only needs a minor improvement this season. If you take the points per game of Raith and Falkirk last season the winner was due to finish on 68 points. The average winning total over the previous 5 seasons was 75 points (which doesn't include the Rangers season just before that which would really bump the average up). The quality of the top teams last year was well below average, Falkirk were rotten for half the season and were still favourites to win the league when it was halted. So if you assume that Partick put up even just a half decent, or 'average', challenge then that means Falkirk need to probably find an extra 8 points from somewhere. That doesn't sound huge, but turning 3 defeats into wins whilst not losing any of the points you did gain is harder than it sounds. From Airdrie's perspective, although we were only 5 off the top when the league finished, looking at next season I think we'd need to find an extra 13-14 points to have a shot. That is a big jump.

Obviously with a reduced amount of games this would need reduced accordingly in terms of total points, but the overall point - that the challenging sides will need to improve significantly - still stands. Even more so if there are less games as you don't have time to start poorly.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

9 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Yes, I made this point in the Airdrie thread recently in relation to us maybe challenging. I think it would be a mistake for Falkirk fans to think they were close last season (and would probably have won it IMO) and therefore it only needs a minor improvement this season. If you take the points per game of Raith and Falkirk last season the winner was due to finish on 68 points. The average winning total over the previous 5 seasons was 75 points (which doesn't include the Rangers season just before that which would really bump the average up). The quality of the top teams last year was well below average, Falkirk were rotten for half the season and were still favourites to win the league when it was halted. So if you assume that Partick put up even just a half decent, or 'average', challenge then that means Falkirk need to probably find an extra 8 points from somewhere. That doesn't sound huge, but turning 3 defeats into wins whilst not losing any of the points you did gain is harder than it sounds. From Airdrie's perspective, although we were only 5 off the top when the league finished, looking at next season I think we'd need to find an extra 13-14 points to have a shot. That is a big jump.

Obviously with a reduced amount of games this would need reduced accordingly in terms of total points, but the overall point - that the challenging sides will need to improve significantly - still stands. Even more so if there are less games as you don't have time to start poorly.

We have the massive advantage of no McKinnon this season though - that's worth 12 points alone!

Sure someone will have the stats on points per game after M&M took over.

15 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Problem is there's no pace in our midfield. You cant play him miller , connolly and a n other certainly not gomis as there's no pace or legs in the side. He's too slow to play out wide and you can't pair him with miller in the middle so I'm not sure where he fits in.

Said this about Gomes too. Good skillful player but what is his actual and best role? Its him or Millar for me not both.