The Falkirk FC Thread

2 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Loved him.

Gangly, swift when he could be bothered, deceptively skillful, and always good for a goal, many of which were spectacular. 

Agreed, was also a big fan but can also appreciate  why he never made it in the Premiership. Goes missing in games for large spells but is always capable of a moment of genius or a long range beauty. Will be a good signing for championship.

PS. Let us know if you find his most suited position, we tried everywhere across midfield. 

57 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

We're rumoured to be interested in Alston, outwith his late winner at EEP I can't remember much about him, what type of midfielder was he while at Falkirk? See he scored 10 goals in his last season which is impressive. 

What is it with Dunfermline and ex Falkirk players? You lot really look up to us and just want to be us don’t you?

25 minutes ago, Hannibal Lecturer said:

What is it with Dunfermline and ex Falkirk players? You lot really look up to us and just want to be us don’t you?

We've already done the stuck in league 1 thing. No thanks.

1 hour ago, wee_bairn said:

PS. Let us know if you find his most suited position, we tried everywhere across midfield. 

That's my memory of him, I've never thought of him as a wide midfielder, nor did I think he was a defensive midfielder, didn't remember him as an industrious box to box midfielder and I wasn't aware of him being a 10, hence why I was surprised he scored 10 league goals. 

My worry is we're signing a good player without any idea of how to fit him into the team. 

Wonder if it was purely money (seems to usually be the case with McManus) which drew him to dunfermline. Obviously the higher division which is a slight attraction but wouldn’t count for much I imagine. If so quite disappointing we didn’t push the boat out a bit to keep him - can’t imagine dunfermline will be paying him extortionate amounts.

Pressure is really on MandM to pull something out the bag - we have 0 acceptable strikers on our books at the moment. 

7 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Is Gary Miller signed up for next season?

Thought I saw somewhere when he signed his last deal there was another year option. Could be wrong though. You'd imagine he would be one we would be looking to keep.  

28 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

Wonder if it was purely money (seems to usually be the case with McManus) which drew him to dunfermline. Obviously the higher division which is a slight attraction but wouldn’t count for much I imagine. If so quite disappointing we didn’t push the boat out a bit to keep him - can’t imagine dunfermline will be paying him extortionate amounts.

Pressure is really on MandM to pull something out the bag - we have 0 acceptable strikers on our books at the moment. 

They will be giving him a chunk of the cash they got for Nisbet. 

2 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

Thought I saw somewhere when he signed his last deal there was another year option. Could be wrong though. You'd imagine he would be one we would be looking to keep.  

When the club announced his extension on 3rd January they stated it was until the summer with the option to extend for a further year. The option normally always lies with the club, although if a player doesn't want to stay then most managers would probably let them go. 

Miller is wanted and I would say is almost guaranteed to be here next season. 

48 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

Wonder if it was purely money (seems to usually be the case with McManus) which drew him to dunfermline. Obviously the higher division which is a slight attraction 

If we're paying him a bit more money, with the caveat of playing in a higher division then it's a no brainer for him, he's played more games for Dunfermline than he has for Falkirk so it's not like he'll have a massive emotional attachment to TFS. He's not daft aswell, if he has improved as a player then scoring 15-20 goals in the championship opens up a move to the premier, where he'll in turn get even more cash. 

It's just another shite point about being in league 1, you're not an attractive proposition and it can be a struggle to pick up the better FT players, we had it when we were in the league. 

Edited by Grant228

34 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Whats the point in signing players just now and having to pay them to do feck all for two months.

All depends when the contract of employment starts. Some if not most players would settle just to get a contract to play next season.

Would like to think M&M will have been talking to potential signings already and the point you raise would be part of the negotiations.

7 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

If we're paying him a bit more money, with the caveat of playing in a higher division then it's a no brainer for him, he's played more games for Dunfermline than he has for Falkirk so it's not like he'll have a massive emotional attachment to TFS. He's not daft aswell, if he has improved as a player then scoring 15-20 goals in the championship opens up a move to the premier, where he'll in turn get even more cash. 

It's just another shite point about being in league 1, you're not an attractive proposition and it can be a struggle to pick up the better FT players, we had it when we were in the league. 

Agree with all of that, sadly. Our main hope is that with so many players laid off, not everyone will be able to be so choosy. 

A big, big couple of months coming up for our rookie managers; finding someone who carries the same goal threat and the selfless work-rate of McManus ain't going to be easy.       

25 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

I think 99% of his decision will be down to money, which is why im disappointed. No one could begrudge him if he wanted to play at the highest level possible but he’s proven he’s not that type of player. I’m annoyed we didn’t push the boat out a little bit, but maybe our wage structure doesn’t allow that sort of thing now. 

Kevin O’Hara though, eh. Ooft