The Falkirk FC Thread

We have never been a side thats been any good at hoofball its simple keep the ball on the deck, granted teams have caused us problems and we resorted to hoofball out of frustration but thats down to the individual players to try and break things down Forfar being a prime example for the first 20-30 minutes they made it difficult till the floodgates opened.

Edited by AL-FFC

Just now, Marshmallo said:

It's 2020 and I'm being told Conor Sammon is an English Championship striker and Declan McManus isn't good enough to play in the Scottish Championship. I watch a different sport to you lot.

I'm off the way of thinking that its maybe the players around him that werent good enough not the player himself he has to get chances to score and if the rest of the team arent giving him those chances then its obvious where the problem lies.  

McManus going was inevitable- Gary Deans has already made clear our budget this season will be significantly lower than last year. We are looking at a 25% shorter season, lower season ticket sales and possibly no income for a while from hospitality etc 

I wouldn’t be surprised if our budget ends up being halved. Obviously that is going to have an impact on the quality and number of players we can bring in. 

3 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

It's 2020 and I'm being told Conor Sammon is an English Championship striker and Declan McManus isn't good enough to play in the Scottish Championship. I watch a different sport to you lot.

Noone saying he's not good enough just that he isn't a regular goal scorer at championship or higher level and his record backs that up.  When at county they had billy mackay who got 17 in 22 which is what you need if your going to win that league.

12 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Derby County signed a 34 year old Wayne Rooney. f**k knows why anyone thinks Sammon would be in their team.

We are in big trouble if Sammon starts the season as the focal point of our attack. The guy is pretty much done and the fact Lee Miller was picking himself before him latterly speaks volumes. Sadly we are going to be stuck with him he'd be an option off the bench for me ( signings dependant) and nothing more. 

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

McManus is a tough one to replace but was probably inevitable. I think (and this is not a criticism) he is pretty money driven and we will be outbid from above easily.

Confirmation of him leaving does draw into sharp focus the desperate need to replace him well though.

I'm not usually overly pessimistic, in fact sometimes I am optimistic in the face of common sense and reason, however, I do not feel good about this season at all. Unless McCall has completely lost it as a manager, he will have Thistle routinely skelping everyone, and even if we are the exception and can go toe to with them in our three games, we wont reach the level of relentless consistency needed.

It's sad to say but our best Hope's for next season hinge on Thislte fucking it up IMO.

I think we need to wait and see who we sign before we judge but agree with you that a Thistle, with Rudden, Graham and McCall will be tough to beat.

28 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Derby County signed a 34 year old Wayne Rooney. f**k knows why anyone thinks Sammon would be in their team.

"Plenty of flashes of genuine ability", apparently.

Looking forward to Kris Faulds re-signing and firing us to the Scottish Cup given scoring a "pearler against Raith" is the criteria for success now.

58 minutes ago, FalkirkLad said:

I don’t think Sammon is capable of scoring 20+ goals even at this level nowadays however thinking back to the game at Starks before the league stopped and he was dropped and we had absolutely nothing up top and looked shite. Also doesn’t help that they just try and lump the ball to him every chance they get, he has far more to his game than that. 

Why was he dropped for that game do you think? Something to do with the fact that three days previously, him and that other numpty from St Johnstone had turned in a truly shocking performance at Broadwood in the absence through suspension of McManus. Your "nothing up top" comment is laughable. We had a striker with 17 league goals and 20+ in all competitions up top, the fact we had not a scintilla of creativity in midfield and chose to lump aimless, useless high balls in his direction for the majority of that match is the responsibility of the management team and no one else.

Good luck to McManus, he had nothing to gain from spending another year at this level and will want to prove he has it in him to score on a regular basis at a higher level, which he has not done to date. I've seen more talented forwards at Falkirk but similar to Rudden the previous year, his endeavour and work-rate took him a long way and made him stand out a mile, all the more comendable given that he was only on loan. If a few more had his attitude we would not be in the dire position we are currently occupying, the aforementioned Sammon being a prime example, picking up a tidy wage without a single f**k being given and had not scored a single goal in five months prior to cancellation of the season. Impostor.

30 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

"Plenty of flashes of genuine ability", apparently.

Looking forward to Kris Faulds re-signing and firing us to the Scottish Cup given scoring a "pearler against Raith" is the criteria for success now.

Pretty sure Kris Faulds has a sleeve tattoo so would him re-signing for us would likely be cause for mass hysteria.

1 hour ago, AL-FFC said:

The other thing you need to take from the GD interview is him saying Falkirk were a soft touch with the money side of things and that that will be changing in other words if they arent willing to play for the lowest we can get them for its no happening or we are going to be left waiting till the last minute to get the dregs again with another season in the seaside leagues beckoning.

We have a core of a squad  6 with contracts for next season with a further 6 on a short term contract as maybes. It is reasonable to expect that M&M know the style the team will play. Would be happy with 3 -4 quality signings with the rest made up of part timers with a point to prove and motivated to take the chance when it comes.

If its another season with last minute signings of the leftovers there will be a lot of unhappy people - and rightly so.

20 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

We have a core of a squad  6 with contracts for next season with a further 6 on a short term contract as maybes. It is reasonable to expect that M&M know the style the team will play. Would be happy with 3 -4 quality signings with the rest made up of part timers with a point to prove and motivated to take the chance when it comes.

If its another season with last minute signings of the leftovers there will be a lot of unhappy people - and rightly so.

When do the part timers train then if they work during the week? Genuine question because I see this said from time to time and question how we could get them to train with the full timers.

6 minutes ago, CC52 FFC said:

When do the part timers train then if they work during the week? Genuine question because I see this said from time to time and question how we could get them to train with the full timers.

Train in the evening one night a week as a full squad. Pair up with someone like Camelon and get the part-time players training with them once a week.

We now know what this league is about and should be able to change our approach to correct the wrongs of last season.  There's some decent players in this league that also know what its all about. We could do worse than cherry picking some of the best players at other league one sides.

We now know what this league is about and should be able to change our approach to correct the wrongs of last season.  There's some decent players in this league that also know what its all about. We could do worse than cherry picking some of the best players at other league one sides.
Problem with that is a lot of them are part time and that's for a good reason. Going hybrid to accommodate may be an option. I reckon there will be a lot of players open to part time terms that maybe werent before. There must surely be players who have thought long and hard about security for themselves and their family during all of this. It's a hard transfer window though as we will be getting bombarded with agents of all sorts of dross, as a perceived lower level cash cow.

9 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I’ve said this before. 1 year deals, weaken the opposition however you have to be careful not too have too many of these players. We’re going to sign De Vita aren’t we ? :(