The Falkirk FC Thread

25 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

I thought he was decent enough for us, better than Utd fans let on anyway. I wouldn't have been too upset to have seen him in before Durnan or Buchanan.

When he and McKenna collided against Morton i went off my head as you could see it happening 

I wasn’t overly disappointed to see Watson go at the time, on the belief that there was better centre halves out there.

With the budget available, I still believe we should have signed better to replace him.

That doesn’t mean I wouldn’t have minded him back now, or in hindsight it might have been better to keep him, but him staying or going is not the reason we are where we are.

He is a decent championship player, nothing more. So highly rated by United that they released him...

He was scary when he was with Utd too![emoji85]
He annoyed the life out me at Utd because he did always look calamitous and I thought we should target him, but when it came to the crunch he never actually gave anything away. Almost the case for us too were it not for the one keithgy mentioned.
Wow, who knew a dunfermline signing would get so much coverage. Rent free.
We are actually getting some football chat. Leave us alone.

Guest Ecosse83
7 hours ago, Rob1885 said:

Wow, who knew a dunfermline signing would get so much coverage. Rent free.

How dare we talk about an ex player 🤣

8 hours ago, Trump said:

I wasn’t overly disappointed to see Watson go at the time, on the belief that there was better centre halves out there.

With the budget available, I still believe we should have signed better to replace him.

That doesn’t mean I wouldn’t have minded him back now, or in hindsight it might have been better to keep him, but him staying or going is not the reason we are where we are.

He is a decent championship player, nothing more. So highly rated by United that they released him...

Exactly.  Lot will depend on his partner too as he needs a more physical guy who is strong in the air or the defence will struggle.  At United he played mostly with  Connolly whose that type.  Our strongest defence of late was grant and mccracken when both fit  if you ask me as they could both play a bit but also had that physical edge. Watson as I said was always too soft . I'd still take ashcroft before I'd have Watson back. He bullied our boys in the playoff games against killie whilst watson got ripped a new one.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

He annoyed the life out me at Utd because he did always look calamitous and I thought we should target him, but when it came to the crunch he never actually gave anything away. Almost the case for us too were it not for the one keithgy mentioned.We are actually getting some football chat. Leave us alone.

I still reckon the edge was better than buchanan mind you.  Dont think playing McKenna beside him helped. No surprise he hardly got a look in at Hamilton last season.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

Watson didn’t replace Grant, McCracken did. Watson and Grant played at Ibrox (last game before Grant went off injured) and were excellent together. 

Watson is a good signing. We should never have let him go. He was a main stay in that Dundee United team last season. 

He was as soft as shite, next

2 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Exactly.  Lot will depend on his partner too as he needs a more physical guy who is strong in the air or the defence will struggle.  At United he played mostly with  Connolly whose that type.  Our strongest defence of late was grant and mccracken when both fit  if you ask me as they could both play a bit but also had that physical edge. Watson as I said was always too soft . I'd still take ashcroft before I'd have Watson back. He bullied our boys in the playoff games against killie whilst watson got ripped a new one.

Looking at the future not the past. Any forum contributors got any names of available players that could do a turn for us.

I do hope we don't go for the usual last 2 -3 week signing frenzy picking up the leftovers.

2 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Looking at the future not the past. Any forum contributors got any names of available players that could do a turn for us.

I do hope we don't go for the usual last 2 -3 week signing frenzy picking up the leftovers.

Anyone signed cant go on furlough so if you sign them the now you're paying them to do nothing for a month or so.. Pre season wont be till when? Some time in August? I presume the transfer window will be extended till around october. Could be a while yet before any new players appear unless we can sign some sort of agreements where players agree to sign but dont get paid till pre season starts. 

2 hours ago, Back Post Misses said:

He was as soft as shite, next

BPM, I'm right in saying that you caught the virus while skiing in Austria yes? Didn't think it was appropriate to ask before but, now that we seem to be getting through it and as you're now feeling better, was just wondering; did you go down hill very quickly?

Always thought Watson was alright as the secondary centre back when he had someone competent and/or experienced to talk him through games and cover up for his failings. If you stuck him next to a dumpling like Gasparotto all of his weaknesses were shown up. 

The only time you really noticed Watson was when he passed the ball 10 yards to the opposition. 

Which happened at least once a game right enough. 
This was his biggest issue. He really struggled to do the very simple things. He often used to show for the ball which was admirable but (and its Taiwo I specifically remember suffering most) he would take the short pass then panic and pass it directly back to the midfielder who invariably then had three bodies round him and either lost it or had to launch it.

He had a reasonable presence in the opposition box though tbf to him. Bit of a threat from corners etc.

1 hour ago, Marshmallo said:

Always thought Watson was alright as the secondary centre back when he had someone competent and/or experienced to talk him through games and cover up for his failings. If you stuck him next to a dumpling like Gasparotto all of his weaknesses were shown up. 

Aye but you had aero, gasparotto and muirhead in that defence its no wonder folk started to think Aero was an excellent player