The Falkirk FC Thread

6 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Its certainly not in the same ball park as signing Paul Paton tbf.

Certainly not. It's just dunfermline used to be signing players to challenge for the title but now seem to be happy with mid table.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

4 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Certainly not. It's just dunfermline used to be signing players to challenge for the title but now seem to be happy with mid table.

United fans seem to think Watson is a very good signing.I would take their word before a bitter Falkirk fan.

Paton did pretty well for us last year. Nothing fancy but we got the best out of him, not the first time we've done that with cheap Falkirk dross. 

I'd more concerned if I was Falkirk fan watching my club rot in the seaside leagues.

Guest Ecosse83

Watson was decent enough for us in what was much tougher Championships than Dundee Utd won last season. Definitely a top end Championship defender in my opinion!

Edited by Ecosse83

21 minutes ago, Ecosse83 said:

Watson was decent enough for us in what was much tougher Championships than Dundee Utd won last season. Definitely a top end Championship defender in my opinion!

I always remember the season we came second to rangers our defence was never the same after watson replaced the injured grant.  He was always too soft for me and got dominated in the air far too often. And then there was that 7 0 thrashing by Ross County in the cup. 

Edited by Shadwell Dog

I thought he was ok for us but wasnt that fussed when he left. Problem, as with almost every player that left around then is that we replaced him with utter dross.
I was surprised the Dabs signed him but he seems to have done well so maybe he's improved since he left us.

1 minute ago, Bantabairn said:

Agree thought Ashcroft was a decent player at that level 

I was surprised they released him especially to replace him with watson.  Ashcroft and Morris always looked rock solid when we played them that last season we were in the championship. Now both have gone.

Your reminder that Paul Watson was released to be replaced by Scott Harrison, Patrick Brough and Tom Dallison. It was a prime example of 'be careful what you wish for'. He was fine for us and always looked relatively solid; I thought at the time we should have kept him as he was relatively young, decent in the air and quite quick along the ground too.

As we all know, Hartley had other ideas. 

The mind really boggles when you think that he actually had the nucleus of a pretty handy squad coming off the second half of season 17/18, just to bin it all for his English experiment.

Edited by 18BAIRN76

Guest Axle Grease
1 hour ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I was surprised they released him especially to replace him with watson.  Ashcroft and Morris always looked rock solid when we played them that last season we were in the championship. Now both have gone.

Ashcroft was decent alongside Morris right enough. Never recovered that form when Morris left to head South, up at Ross County. 

The last 4 seasons we've finished 5th, 4th, 7th then 6th. Mid table is clearly where we're at so if the shoe fits.

23 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

McManus if our chairman's comments are anything to go by. That's about it. I think there could be more departures though. 

No point in signing players and paying them just now when you're not going to be playing for another 3 months. 

1 hour ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

Your reminder that Paul Watson was released to be replaced by Scott Harrison, Patrick Brough and Tom Dallison. It was a prime example of 'be careful what you wish for'. He was fine for us and always looked relatively solid; I thought at the time we should have kept him as he was relatively young, decent in the air and quite quick along the ground too.

The mind really boggles when you think that he actually had the nucleus of a pretty handy squad coming off the second half of season 17/18, just to bin it all for his English experiment.

Would have kept Brough, ok he was a bit slow but he was not a bad player and as good if not better than some we have signed after him.

2 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Ashcroft was fine with Morris, without him, meh. 

Would rather have Watson. 

He was part of the squad that got Houston his books!

10 minutes ago, kiddy said:
2 hours ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

He was part of the squad that got Houston his books!

We started a Premiership play off final with Robbie Thomson in goal and Gasparotto and Watson at the back and people wonder why we bottled it.